Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Considering Selling My PCGS Proof Set Collection

JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
edited September 9, 2022 3:28PM in Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

I am at the point in My life where I am considering selling My entire Proof Set Collection

It is complete from 1957-Present...with 35 of those years represented by PR70DCAM and PR70 Rev Proof PCGS coins

I do not wish to break it up - but am looking for a Collector who would continue it for the next few decades as I believe it's true value is the continuity and completion

I have every coin - but the coins needed to upgrade some Proof Sets are simply too expensive for My budget to handle

For those who have access to PCGS Set Registry - You can view the entire collection using My 1950-Present Proof Set

Serious Offers by DM Only Please - this is not a fire sale and lowball offers will be ignored

Edited 9/07/2022:

The entire collection is cased in PCGS 35th Anniversary Gold Coin Boxes with labels for content - all boxes are in great condition and stickers/tape/gummed surfaces have been removed

Proof Sets from 1957 thru 1962 are 3 years per box
1963 and 1964 are in one box
1965 thru 1976 are 3 years per box
1977 and 1978 are in one box
1979 in one box (T1/T2)
1980 and 1981 in one box
1982 thru 1990 are 3 years per box
1991 thru 1998 are 2 years per box
1999 thru 2006 are single-year boxes
2007 and 2007 are in 3 boxes
2009 is in 2 boxes with the DC/Terr Quarters separated
2010 thru 2017 have a total of 17 boxes - the Quarters are separated with 2 years in each box
2018 thru 2020 have 2 boxes per year
2021 is in 1 box
2022 has 2 boxes
Sac/Native American Dollars are separated - currently 2 boxes
There is currently a total of 53 gold boxes containing the entire collection - most boxes have empty slots due to the desire to separate them by Year and utilize the least number of boxes

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

Comments

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

:#
    Will you still collect and wheel and deal?
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

All years are 70?

• Options

@Waverlycoins said:
    All years are 70?

It is complete from 1957-Present...with 35 of those years represented by PR70DCAM and PR70 Rev Proof PCGS coins

The collection spans My lifetime - 65 years

• Options

Nice.

• Options
    edited September 4, 2022 8:59PM

The first 7 years are a minimum of PR68 - with 6 coins being slightly better

One significance is the 1963 cent - currently a Pop 1 coin

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭

Highly interested in a bunch of what you have. Are you only selling as a lot?

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options

@jshaulis said:
    Highly interested in a bunch of what you have. Are you only selling as a lot?

I believe the true value of My collection is it's continuity and completion...there are no missing coins anywhere from 1957-Present and I would like to sell to someone who would endeavor to continue and complete

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you give us a ballpark of what you are looking to get for the set?

Sometimes people will buy because the set is cool and the price seems reasonable. It is a cool set, but I have no idea what it is worth.

(And PCGS price guide isn’t a good starting point as some modern coins may have a value of $40 in the price guide but you could never sell for more than $5 otherwise.)

• Options

@jclovescoins said:

Sometimes people will buy because the set is cool and the price seems reasonable. It is a cool set, but I have no idea what it is worth.

(And PCGS price guide isn’t a good starting point as some modern coins may have a value of $40 in the price guide but you could never sell for more than $5 otherwise.)

I have assembled this collection over the past 10 years...with nearly every coin being bought on eBay

I find the PCGS Price Guide a very valuable tool when buying a coin

Sure...You could do as I have and probably buy 60-70% of the same collection over the next decade as I have...but as I have upgraded My yearly Proof Sets and listed the lower-graded coin on eBay I have seen quite a demand for many of them

My listings ask $1 less than the PCGS Price Guide and $5 for packaging and shipping - in addition I am usually running a discount of 10%

The real value of this collection is it's completion level at 100% - and I believe the Price Guide is a relative comparison - in the coming years the simple Rarity of many coins will also decrease...making My collection one that a generational collector will see as an investment - and will endeavor to continue to keep it complete while trying to add coins that will update the collection as a whole

As I announced in the original posting...

Serious Offers by DM Only Please - this is not a fire sale and lowball offers will be ignored

• Options
    edited September 5, 2022 7:01AM

@JonJet said:

@jclovescoins said:

I have assembled this collection over the past 10 years...with nearly every coin being bought on eBay

I find the PCGS Price Guide a very valuable tool when buying a coin

Sure...You could do as I have and probably buy 60-70% of the same collection over the next decade as I have...but as I have upgraded My yearly Proof Sets and listed the lower-graded coin on eBay I have seen quite a demand for many of them

My listings ask $1 less than the PCGS Price Guide and $5 for packaging and shipping - in addition I am usually running a discount of 10%

The real value of this collection is it's completion level at 100% - and I believe the Price Guide is a relative comparison - in the coming years the simple Rarity of many coins will also decrease...making My collection one that a generational collector will see as an investment - and will endeavor to continue to keep it complete while trying to add coins that will update the collection as a whole

As I announced in the original posting...

Good luck.

• Options

The Blue Grades indicate a Top Pop Coin

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2022 1:44PM

I hope you find a buyer who is motivated to acquire your set, upgrade it and expand it by adding the proof sets from 1936 to 1942 and 1950 to 1956.

Best of luck.

• Options
    BigJohnDBigJohnD Posts: 329 ✭✭✭

i UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU SAID AND WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM. DON'T BE OFFENDED BY COMMENTS. tHAT SAID THE P[RICE GUIDE FOR THE YEARS IN QUESTION ARE WAY OFF. GOOD LUCK. `PUT A PRICE.

• Options

@jclovescoins said:

@alaura22 said:
    Why don't you just quote a price, you can't expect someone to crunch numbers for over 700 coins
    Just saying

Is there an easy way to see what the total PCGS price guide value is? I'd be interested in knowing that.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm out
    Thank you

• Options

Jon,
    I sent you a pm.
    Let me know what you think.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

I believe that Jon is only testing the waters for a price that some set owners will offer a price that would entice him to sell.
    If he decides to sell, he would probably put the set up for auction on a major auction house or a buy it now with a make an offer on eBay at an exaggerated price ( as most sellers do😎 ). He knows what he has paid for the coins and it Pcgs’s value. A Bin / make an offer would generate offers on which he could accept or deny. If you are going to place a price, do your math to determine if it is a fair price, if you don’t, you are not a serious purchaser. This set is not for many shallow pocketed, or those who wish to own buyers. It is a high graded, owned set that can become a top 5 registry set in my opinion. Once sold, you can break it up or maintain it by adding future coins which is the owners hope. Any current set owners can add the 1936 to 1956 coins to enhance their sets.
    Notice my PM to Jon!
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wayne, I have always appreciated your opinion on proof coinage. I state my following question, not as a contridiction.
    (I also notice this BST thread has become a topic, so I don't believe I am distracting from the objective.)

Wayne, and others, what percentage of these sets or singles are either tricky or excessively difficult to locate, and what percentage could be gathered within a couple of months?

peacockcoins

• Options
    edited September 7, 2022 7:16AM

Again...Blue denotes a Top Pop coin - Lots of DCAM's going forward

• Options

@braddick said:
    Wayne, I have always appreciated your opinion on proof coinage. I state my following question, not as a contridiction.
    (I also notice this BST thread has become a topic, so I don't believe I am distracting from the objective.)

Wayne, and others, what percentage of these sets or singles are either tricky or excessively difficult to locate, and what percentage could be gathered within a couple of months?

To me any set prior to 1984 is tricky to obtain in extreme high grade.
    I have seen a lot of 50’s and 60’s
    sets for sale on the Bay but only in proof 66. Not many of these coins are in DCAM.
    The early Kennedy’s ( 1964 to the early 1970’s) are available in 69 and even 70 grades but are costly.
    Any set from say 2000 on can be had in proof 70 Dcam or proof 70 for the reverse proofs. These too can come at a cost. Check the prices on the 2015 reverse proof presidential coins in 70 grades.
    Jon’s early proof sets that are pr68 are high end sets.
    All proof coins can be had over time but the availability diminishes also.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

Thanks Wayne,
    Excellent info.

peacockcoins

• Options
    edited September 7, 2022 7:46AM

FYI - the original post has been updated with additional information about the Collection

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JonJet said:
    FYI - the original post has been updated with additional information about the Collection

I don't think that the boxes they're being held in are really the crucial question. All anyone wants to know is an asking price, even if it is crazy high. You said this is not a fire sale...I would argue it's not a sale at all.

• Options

@lermish said:

@JonJet said:

I don't think that the boxes they're being held in are really the crucial question. All anyone wants to know is an asking price, even if it is crazy high. You said this is not a fire sale...I would argue it's not a sale at all.

Correct. He's not actually looking to sell - that's very clear to me. The title even says "Considering"...
    I would pay $10,000 for the set, but judging by the comments he is probably thinking another 0.

• Options

@braddick said:
    Thanks Wayne,
    Excellent info.

I would also add the following to Wayne's info above...

It has taken Me nearly 10 years to compile and upgrade the Collection to it's current level...
    and all of the PR70DCAM / PR70 Rev PR activity has been done since I joined Set Registry on 12/30/2019 and upgraded most of the previous PR69DCAM's to PR70DCAM to allow the Collection to find it's true place in the Rankings of PCGS Set Registry

When the 2022 Innovation PR70 Rev PR coins are added - the Collection will total over 750 coins
    Even if You could find every coin...What is Your time worth?

Could You actually purchase 750 coins individually in a couple months?
    Remember...that's more than 12 very specific coins per day

Have You considered the cost of shipping 750 coins - perhaps no more than 5 at a time?

This Collection spans My lifetime...and I doubt You could do it even under nearly perfect search and snipe conditions without a serious and expensive staff to assist on a coin-by-coin basis

Sure...the Modern Proof Sets can be had...perhaps 85% of them rather easily - but this collection has them all
    And 35 of the 65 years are Perfect Top-Ranked Sets

Start with the 2014 Gold Kennedy...then add all the Kennedy PR70DCAM's /PR70 Rev PR's from 2000-2022

If You have $20K to start with...You''re already below $17K now with more than 700 coins left to purchase

Pick any other denomination You like and see if You can buy a PR70DCAM for $25 (there might be a handful)

THEN what do You do?

The real value here is in the completion and grade as a starting point for someone with the financial means to purchase the rest of the needed Top-Rank coins - which I unfortunately cannot do due to the prices

Right now...114 of the 119 Proof Sets in My Set Registry are Ranked in the Top 50
    99 of them are in the Top 25
    88 are in the Top 20
    70 are in the Top 10
    And 55 are Ranked #1
    But Yep - one is ranked 200th because I don't collect the previous 7 years at all

And I have a single Pop 1 coin - meaning there is no other coin in the same grade - So My Collection cannot be duplicated - by anyone - regardless of financial means

From now until the Innovation Dollars end in 2032 - each yearly Proof Set will be well north of $800 per year to get it completed in PR70DCAM / PR70 Rev PR

Try to get them all from 1957-2022 for an average of $307 per year and see how many huge holes are left - and where that $20K investment puts You in the Rankings

• Options

A PR69 DCAM may well be a top pop coin yet my question would be how many are available in that grade.
    If it is single digits, that is genuinely scarce/rare. If it is in the dozens or hundreds, not necessarily so.

peacockcoins

• Options

I commend you on the set. It’s cool. I’d just like to know the ballpark figure on it. Do you think it’s 100K?

• Options

I can tell You that nobody is going to offer $100K

But I would suggest that You do as Wayne said...

Do the math to determine if Your number is a fair price

If not - change Your number before You make an offer

• Options

Well, now we know you want somewhere between $20,000 and $100,000…that’s a start :D

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

@jclovescoins said:
    Well, now we know you want somewhere between $20,000 and $100,000…that’s a start :D

That would be a fire-sale.

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2022 2:48PM

IMO
    Ok here is my math for Jon's coins.
    The original set contains 762 coins.1950 to 2022.
    Jons set is missing 35 coins (those being the coins in the 1950 to 1956 sets. 5 coins per set.
    This will calculate out at 727 coins in Jon's set.
    If you offer up 10,000 for the set, you would be offering 13.76 per coin regardless of rarity or grade.
    This would be one hell of a fire sale.
    20K offer equals 27.51 per coin. I still see smoke and some flickering. lol
    30K would be 41.27 per coin. We got serious water on the blaze.
    40k would be 55.02 per coin. Fire is out.
    50k would be 68.76 per coin. Flash over is prevented.
    100K would be 137.55 per coin. Coins are in the mail.
    Many coins contained here are at a cost of hundreds of dollars or more.
    The 2014 gold Kennedy is a 2+K coin on its own.
    Add to that the pop 1 coins and coins under 10 known.
    You can see that is why Jon is asking for serious offers.
    My calculations are based on a buyers's offer divided by 727.
    Ex, 727 coins divided by 10,000 equals 13.76 per.
    If my math is off, please forgive me as I am having some wine at this time. :D
    The proof 70 and proof 70 DCAMS are all a steal at the 30k price.
    All of this pricing does not include the time to find, time to purchase and the cost to ship.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:
    IMO
    Ok here is my math for Jon's coins.
    The original set contains 762 coins.1950 to 1956.
    Jons set is missing 35 coins (those being the coins in the 1950 to 1956 sets. 5 coins per set.
    This will calculate out at 727 coins in Jon's set.
    If you offer up 10,000 for the set, you would be offering 13.76 per coin regardless of rarity or grade.
    This would be one hell of a fire sale.
    20K offer equals 27.51 per coin. I still see smoke and some flickering. lol
    30K would be 41.27 per coin. We got serious water on the blaze.
    40k would be 55.02 per coin. Fire is out.
    50k would be 68.76 per coin. Flash over is prevented.
    100K would be 137.55 per coin. Coins are in the mail.
    Many coins contained here are at a cost of hundreds of dollars or more.
    The 2014 gold Kennedy is a 2+K coin on its own.
    Add to that the pop 1 coins and coins under 10 known.
    You can see that is why Jon is asking for serious offers.
    My calculations are based on a buyers's offer divided by 727.
    Ex, 727 coins divided by 10,000 equals 13.76 per.
    If my math is off, please forgive me as I am having some wine at this time. :D
    The proof 70 and proof 70 DCAMS are all a steal at the 30k price.
    All of this pricing does not include the time to find, time to purchase and the cost to ship.
    Wayne

OK - but are some of these modern cents and nickels really worth $137, $68 or even $27 each? I get there are a couple of big ticket items, but that still doesn't justify $50 each for some of the recent cents and nickels where a very high % are 70s if a person sends them for grading. And, yes, grading cost and shipping cost....for a dealer, you can get these graded bulk for a very low price and shipping is irrelevant imho.

• Options
    edited September 7, 2022 2:50PM

"Considering Selling My Collection" is nothing more than an invitation to those who may be interested - to make an offer that I will consider

Dealer pricing offers will not be welcomed

• Options
    PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Doesn't the set registry itself give you the value of the set; at least to a PCGS standard? I think my sets do. I don't think asking a perspective buyer to do the work is smart but as others have said, he can be Frank Sinatra and do it his way. If so, I would at least share that number with a caveat that it may or may not be the selling price. On the other hand, everyone likes a good mystery.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options

@jclovescoins said:

OK - but are some of these modern cents and nickels really worth $137, $68 or even $27 each? I get there are a couple of big ticket items, but that still doesn't justify $50 each for some of the recent cents and nickels where a very high % are 70s if a person sends them for grading. And, yes, grading cost and shipping cost....for a dealer, you can get these graded bulk for a very low price and shipping is irrelevant imho.

You're missing the calculation...by more than 50%

Just the Kennedy's will cost in excess of $3K

So Your offer of $10K is way out the window...You cannot buy the remaining 700 coins at $10 each

Even at $20K - You'd need 700 coins for less than $25

Yer math is therefore Kerplunk'ed

• Options

The number of coins is derived this way

762 coins are now required
    The 2022 Proof Set will add 25 more coins when they ARE required for the set = 787
    I am missing 35 coins 1950-1956

787 - 35 = 752 coins in the Collection

• Options
    edited September 7, 2022 4:17PM

@Crusty said:
    Since this has been opened up to discussion. I’ll throw my 2 cents into the mix. I think it’s a really cool set and I wish the OP luck in finding a buyer. But saying your considering selling is different from selling. The make me move analogy fits well but even in those cases they provide a number. Im curious what the hesitation is to providing a ball park number to people that showed a mild interest? You know your coins and set better then anyone and know the value. If you brought this set to a dealer I think you would be shocked at what you’d be offered. I think your best bet is private party sale. But your average collector who may think the set is cool will likely not be willing to look up over 700 individual coins and do the market research necessary to formulate solid number. Instead I believe you’ll only get offers that are safe offers. Meaning I think the set is cool but I’m not burying myself in it. I need to know I can get out of it easily. Like I said I like your set and can tell it was your pride and joy. I would like to see you sell successfully. Good luck

This is 100% what I have been trying to convey. He brings this set into an average dealer: $10,000 max. That's just because some modern pennies and nickels are honestly $1 or $2 slabs to most because guess what? when figuring many of the 2000-2012 etc proof sets, most dealers are selling them for silver content and as such the pennies and nickels are figured at face value. These coins are aplenty. It doesn't mean I think $10,000 is fair, it's just the reality of what the set is to most dealers.

To a dealer that has more interest in moderns, but not a particular set of modern collectors: $20,000 maybe.

I don't think it goes over $30,000 to any dealer that doesn't have a personal interest in the coins.

To the one special person that wants to bury themselves for a #9 set, maybe $40,000. Anything over that, why not aim to do it yourself or aim for #1?

That's my two cents. If I was told a price, I would have just clicked away if not interested. I do find it interesting to consider how challenging it would be to move such a set.

• Options

You're the only one who is fixated on dealer prices

The is not a Dealer's Forum and I am not trying to determine dealer prices or sell to a dealer

Move along

• Options

@JonJet said:

The is not a Dealer's Forum and I am not trying to determine dealer prices or sell to a dealer

Move along

Well said, I am, as others should, he doesn't want to sell,
    MOVE ALONG

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2022 3:50PM

@alaura22 said:

@JonJet said:

Move along

MOVE ALONG

Finally I disagree with you. He paid full retail and wants to sell at full retail prices for each individual coin...but wants the ease of selling them in one bulk transaction without 700+ eBay listings and 700+ shipping labels and envelopes.

Which, no problem @jonjet ! Get the most you can, they are your coins! But you seem to want it both ways (ease + high prices) when "marketing" your collection and can't give even the most basic info. Good luck.

• Options

@lermish said:

@alaura22 said:

@JonJet said:

Move along

MOVE ALONG

Finally I disagree with you. He paid full retail and wants to sell at full retail prices for each individual coin...but wants the ease of selling them in one bulk transaction without 700+ eBay listings and 700+ shipping labels and envelopes.

Which, no problem @jonjet ! Get the most you can, they are your coins! But you seem to want it both ways (ease + high prices) when "marketing" your collection and can't give even the most basic info. Good luck.

I get it, BUT
    Just give a price!

This discussion has been closed.