Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1946s-Possible Die Clash

Hello, I am hoping I found my first die clash! I know this 1946s Lincoln Wheat penny is in horrible shape, but please let me know if I am on the right track. Thank you for viewing! Sony

Still trying to learn......any advice is Always appreciated. Thx.

Comments

• Options
    c0injunkyc0injunky Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

Yes, that is a die clash, good eye! Nice photos too.

• Options

@c0injunky Thank you so much for responding!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really don't think it's a clash - I think it's a form of die deterioration or "transfer".

I was hoping some of the people with the actual explanation would weigh in.

• Options

@JBK Thanks for responding. It is Friday of a Holiday Weekend, so probably won't be much going on response-wise. I appreciate your comments, tho. If need be, I can do some more photos. It's very difficult for me to get just the right angles. Could be deterioration. The penny is pretty, bad off. There was nothing on the obverse.

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

That would be indirect die transfer, as JBK stated caused by die deterioration.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@Icutler
    @OAKSTAR Oh, thank you so much, both of you! That is very interesting. Here you can see it better on my penny, I did another photo... Have a great weekend, all of you! Sony

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2022 2:40PM

Yours is a very nice example. Here are a few more pictures.

Plus the link:

http://www.lincolncentforum.com/terminology-list-p/

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    c0injunkyc0injunky Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

Learned something new today, thanks Oakstar!

• Options

British pennies of the early 20th century are notorious for this effect.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pictures and explanation. Many members will learn from this thread. @Sony .... Nice find and glad you posted it. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@OAKSTAR Thanks for the help! I am going to put my penny in a 2x2 with a note on it for future reference. And I downloaded your link.
    @ricko Thanks for the compliment. I continue to learn from all of you.
    @JBK I have a bunch of foreign coins from my father-in-law. I don't think they are that old, but will keep that in mind, when and if I ever have time to get to them. Sincerely, Sony

• Options

It's definitely worth keeping as it's an extreme example of the issue described above.

• Options

BTW, here is a pair of British pennies with the same effect (from Numista).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file