Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Ultimate Bowtie Error Coin Discovery

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 31, 2022 11:38AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I love the mystery and rareness of modern mint error coins.

When I saw this bowtie error coin, I knew it was very special so I bought it. While I did not discover this coin, I recognized that this was a very important coin. I contacted Mike Byers to see if this coin was worthy of being published in Mint Error News as a discovery piece and he agreed and published this article on the coin.

Link to MEN article: https://minterrornews.com/discoveries-8-4-22-modern-jefferson-nickel-on-bowtie-scrap.html

This is one of my favorite coins that I bought this year, I believe this to be the only known bowtie error coin struck after 2001. I will revise the previous statement if anyone can show me another dated 2002 or later bowtie error coin.

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

congratz on the newp and article.

one of the most joyous things is to know one's area so well so as to instantly recognize when something special comes along whereas otherwise it may remain lost to history for a long time or permanently!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    congratz on the newp and article.

one of the most joyous things is to know one's area so well so as to instantly recognize when something special comes along whereas otherwise it may remain lost to history for a long time or permanently!

Well said. ya, my jaw dropped when I first saw it.

Does anyone else think this coin is way under graded? I sure do!!!

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options

Here is a piece of bowtie scrap nickel webbing with 4 clips that would be similar to what the OP was struck on.

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2022 4:54PM

@ErrorsOnCoins

Chris- that’s a rare, spectacular bow tie on a modern series!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent error - but how does that get in proper position to be struck? Another "Mint worker assisted error"??

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way 😎, i like

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2022 5:45PM

@Steven59 said:
    Excellent error - but how does that get in proper position to be struck? Another "Mint worker assisted error"??

This is likely a legitimate error that was not assisted. This coin originated from Paperchasesue on eBay and they are a well-known source for modern errors of all types, major and minor. It is likely that they have a connection at one of the coin rolling companies, but probably not at the Mint, based on the types of error coins that they generally sell.

This piece of scrap being struck was probably a serendipitous occurrence, either being left at the bottom of a bin that was later filled with nickel planchets and later struck, or carried through the process from blanking, to upsetting, to striking in some other fashion. In manufacturing, lots of stuff goes awry, even the seemingly unlikely!

As for condition, actually I would consider this piece AU. Nearly all of Paperchasesue's error coins have an odd surface texture. Almost like they were tossed in a rock tumbler for a short period of time. Regardless, something is impairing the original, lustrous, mint surfaces of most of their offerings.

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

100% not assisted.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldenEgg said:

@Steven59 said:

This is likely a legitimate error that was not assisted. This coin originated from Paperchasesue on eBay and they are a well-known source for modern errors of all types, major and minor. It is likely that they have a connection at one of the coin rolling companies, but probably not at the Mint, based on the types of error coins that they generally sell.

This piece of scrap being struck was probably a serendipitous occurrence, either being left at the bottom of a bin that was later filled with nickel planchets and later struck, or carried through the process from blanking, to upsetting, to striking in some other fashion. In manufacturing, lots of stuff goes awry, even the seemingly unlikely!

As for condition, actually I would consider this piece AU. Nearly all of Paperchasesue's error coins have an odd surface texture. Almost like they were tossed in a rock tumbler for a short period of time. Regardless, something is impairing the original, lustrous, mint surfaces of most of their offerings.

I am a longtime buyer from that seller, I would venture that half of the zinc cents clips in my date set originated from their auctions. I concur that this was definitely not an assisted error and was likely found in either a bag or by a counting room / coin service.

I have also received many coins from this seller with altered surfaces, but this one seems unmolested.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I love the mystery and rareness of modern mint error coins.

When I saw this bowtie error coin, I knew it was very special so I bought it. While I did not discover this coin, I recognized that this was a very important coin. I contacted Mike Byers to see if this coin was worthy of being published in Mint Error News as a discovery piece and he agreed and published this article on the coin.

Link to MEN article: https://minterrornews.com/discoveries-8-4-22-modern-jefferson-nickel-on-bowtie-scrap.html

This is one of my favorite coins that I bought this year, I believe this to be the only known bowtie error coin struck after 2001. I will revise the previous statement if anyone can show me another dated 2002 or later bowtie error coin.

It's just incredible really to even try to visualize ways it made it through positioned just correctly for that moment.
    Amazing and beautiful.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great error coin... Thanks for the link. And it does look like a it should have a better grade. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Steven59 said:

Your thesis is not valid because if the coin was mint worker assisted, it would way more preferable to have a full date on the coin.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Steven59 said:

Your thesis is not valid because if the coin was mint worker assisted, it would way more preferable to have a full date on the coin.

since it has one of the digits, i posit that it has at least a 25% chance. :D

OBVIOUSLY, we will probably never know, as-is with a ton of errors and legally speaking, doesn't really matter either.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file