Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Look what I came across!!!

Have you seen this before? What are the odds finding tbis?

Comments

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin suffered damage after it left the mint.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

75 years of circulation is going to impart a few nicks and bumps.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tuqsugmiu .... Welcome aboard. Your nickel appears to be a well worn, 75 year old coin. Are you referring to the age or is there something specific you see? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Against great odds, I did find tbis. :#

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are thinking there is something wrong with the O in OF then you are right. It took a hit of some type and damaged the letter. Nothing special and actually that type of damage affects value. Other than that, I see a nickel that is worth $0.05.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

I would guess the coin has about 40 years of circulation with most of it being between 1948 and 1977 and the rest after 2012.

It has the normal even wear typically seen on nickels back before 1975 and then several years of going through counting machines and being scratched up by handling at the counting houses.

This is hardly unusual since so many "old" coins are removed by the general public and eventually released. Most 1947 nickels in circulation are in much better condition than most 1967 nickels. A 1947 nickel in continuing circulation since 1947 (there are very few) would probably be AG+ to G-, have a gouge, and have a bad tarnish spot. This one is a beat up F+. It was probably a nice attractive VF as recently as the late-'70's. Less that 10% of the mintage of 1947 nickels are in circulation at any give time and most have spent much of the last half century in collections or sock drawers.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

The famous no-steps variety.....?

• Options
    justmenutty72justmenutty72 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

The infamous 1947 no P😂🤣

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:

@AUandAG said:

I would guess the coin has about 40 years of circulation with most of it being between 1948 and 1977 and the rest after 2012.

I’m intrigued by this timeline. Why the gap between the 1970s and 2010s? Was there a large dump of coins back into the monetary system in the early part of last decade? If so, what caused it?

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is funny! I found one just like it on the ground today!

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    Mike59Mike59 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

It’s not every day you find a 70+ year old nickel in circulation. Nice find and welcome to the forum.
    Mike

MIKE B.

• Options
    edited August 31, 2022 5:14PM

@1madman said:

@cladking said:

@AUandAG said:

I’m intrigued by this timeline. Why the gap between the 1970s and 2010s? Was there a large dump of coins back into the monetary system in the early part of last decade? If so, what caused it?

The general public believes old coins are rare or potentially valuable. Indeed, pre-1960 wholesale at close to $6/ roll if they are nice (no culls, no tarnish, even wear). Millions of people including coin collectors take them out of circulation and they often stay out for decades. Hundreds of millions are still out of circulation. Almost all the old coins in circulation including every silver coin has been previously removed and then intentionally or inadvertently respent.

The scratching seen on this coin has been prevalent for only the last ten or fifteen years.

Probably about half the 1947 (P) nickels survive and are an average of F/ VF but most are sitting out of circulation. The rest have been permanently lost or destroyed.

This applies to most of the pre-1960 common date nickels. Keys, semi-keys, and silver rarely get back into circulation. The oldest Jeffs are a grade lower and the '50's dates are a grade higher. More of the oldest dates have been lost and fewer of the later dates. Curiously the post-1964 nickels have a far higher attrition and are lower grade.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:

@1madman said:

@cladking said:

@AUandAG said:

The general public believes old coins are rare or potentially valuable. Indeed, pre-1960 wholesale at close to $6/ roll if they are nice (no culls, no tarnish, even wear). Millions of people including coin collectors take them out of circulation and they often stay out for decades. Hundreds of millions are still out of circulation. Almost all the old coins in circulation including every silver coin has been previously removed and then intentionally or inadvertently respent.

The scratching seen on this coin has been prevalent for only the last ten or fifteen years.

Probably about half the 1947 (P) nickels survive and are an average of F/ VF but most are sitting out of circulation. The rest have been permanently lost or destroyed.

This applies to most of the pre-1960 common date nickels. Keys, semi-keys, and silver rarely get back into circulation. The oldest Jeffs are a grade lower and the '50's dates are a grade higher. More of the oldest dates have been lost and fewer of the later dates. Curiously the post-1964 nickels have a far higher attrition and are lower grade.

If this coin had 75 years worth of circulation (instead of 40), what would it look like? Would it be approximately a ~G-4 graded coin?

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rare and elusive "No Steps Jefferson" . . . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

O in the word "Of" is Damage.

• Options

@1madman said:

If this coin had 75 years worth of circulation (instead of 40), what would it look like? Would it be approximately a ~G-4 graded coin?

Since around 1975 nickels wear has slowed considerably. 2/3 rds of its wear would have come in the first 25 years and one third in the last 50. Starting around 2005 it would have started acquiring all those little scratches and gouges all over it. It only takes 10 or 15 years now days to scratch them up like that.

It would be AG+ to G+, probably a cull, and covered in the little scratches. You can actually see a few of these in circulation but most of them had some damage or staining that kept them from being set aside as a collectible.

I grade moderns pretty harshly. When I grade one AG it merely means there is extensive wear and some of the lettering is worn into the rim. In moderns some AU's have the lettering worn into the rim. Many moderns are made to a very low standard.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old circulated nickels? Yes, all the time roll hunting.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should feel lucky.
    At least you have nicks and scratches.

• Options
    AbehunterAbehunter Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

I have a different date but I see what you're talking about,it definitely stands out

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:
    You should feel lucky.
    At least you have nicks and scratches.

I would like to know more about this coin. Is it worn down or an extremely weak strike?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nickel that is worth five cents.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file