Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grades posted in last post- Guess the Grades, Type with a Twist

Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 30, 2022 6:09PM in U.S. Coin Forum

These were cracked out of ANACS holders, for my Dansco, so they are essentially raw coins, though I retained the labels.

Please guess what you think ANACS graded them as (or your own personal opinion, or both, if you prefer).
Thanks in advance for playing!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Comments

• Options

Anyone? There’s no penalty for trying ;)

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Au50

Ms64

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55
    AU58

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

1/2C: AU 53…if there is a twist, then AU details environmental damage

25X: AU 58…twist might be AU details scratch (upper left field on obverse)

• Options
    edited August 30, 2022 2:02PM

@U1chicago said:

Sorry, I should have specified that the twist is that they were cracked out, so everyone is guessing the grades on what are now considered raw coins, or what they were graded, rather than the traditional what they are graded.
    I’ll show the labels during the grade reveal.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1806 looks like AU details, cleaned. Might even be lacquered.
    Not sure on the 91 quarter. it does look cleaned, the reverse especially, but it may be the scan. Not sure about the scratch. if it goes under the right breast, then I agree with U1chicago.

Tom

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

au50
    ms63

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think both would straight-grade... again...

AU55 on the Half Cent
    MS63 on the Seated Quarter

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd guess...

AU-53
    MS-63

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:

@U1chicago said:

Sorry, I should have specified that the twist is that they were cracked out, so everyone is guessing the grades on what are now considered raw coins, or what they were graded, rather than the traditional what they are graded.
    I’ll show the labels during the grade reveal.

I did see that but thought it might be a double twist (and could be details hence you cracking them out for an album).

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the half cent, first glance I thought large 6, no stems, whaaaat? I would say AU50
    Beautiful toned Quarter. I would say AU58.
    Nice pair. Let's see some more half cents from your album.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins, Especially the 1/2 cent :)
    I tend to over grade early copper most of the time, but I think this one could just about be an AU58...
    MS63 for the seated quarter, love the toning on that one!

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

I believe these were pretty early holders, and the grades pretty conservative. In retrospect it would be nice to still have them in those holders, but it’s been roughly 30 years since I cracked them out, and they certainly weren’t old at the time!
    Most of the obverse and a little of the reverse toning on the quarter was induced by the 7070 album it’s been stored in all this time.

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    I believe these were pretty early holders, and the grades pretty conservative. In retrospect it would be nice to still have them in those holders, but it’s been roughly 30 years since I cracked them out, and they certainly weren’t old at the time!
    Most of the obverse and a little of the reverse toning on the quarter was induced by the 7070 album it’s been stored in all this time.

@WilliamF said:
    Beautiful coins, Especially the 1/2 cent :)
    I tend to over grade early copper most of the time, but I think this one could just about be an AU58...
    MS63 for the seated quarter, love the toning on that one!

Cripes... I over-graded more than a little :lol:

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... I thought the quarter was a 62 and the half cent a 50..... Seems I have been a bit optimistic lately. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they are a higher grade in today's grading environment.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@ricko said:
    Well... I thought the quarter was a 62 and the half cent a 50..... Seems I have been a bit optimistic lately. Cheers, RickO

I think you’re spot on, using current grading standards.
    If I ever submit I’ll find out!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file