Home Sports Talk

6 more players leave the PGA tour for LIV

craig44craig44 Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Tour just lost the number 2 ranked player (cameron smith) and also the number 19,46,55,62 and 92nd ranked players.

two questions: Who will be next? and how much these type of exodus' cheapen/lessen the value of winning the 4 majors?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

The four majors are not run by the PGA Tour or DP Tour, so the may have both players unless the major hosts decide to ban the LIV players.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my, drama in the game of golf!! :D

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't care about golf. It's a game and not really a sport.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a fan of Saudi Arabia, but I am also a not fan of monopolistic behavior even more. So I hope the PGA loses.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the mullet man...sigh

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

Respectfully disagree, particularly walking the miles they walk for 4 consecutive days along with the athletic swings they are putting on the ball. What we do on Saturday’s riding in a cart, having beers, shooting 90 is not anything close to what these guys bodies are required to do to compete at that level.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

a skewed perception

the definition of a sport is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. not sure how someone can swing a club without physical exertion, and in the case of professional golfers they're doing so for 4 consecutive days over the course of (at least) 72 holes in a tournament. on top of that, they're walking roughly 5 miles/day.

if that's not enough physical exertion for you, then how about we compare golf to baseball. sure, baseball has some running, but it's typically in bursts of no more than 100-200 feet at a time. and besides that, the majority of the game is spent standing, playing pocket pool and waiting for something to happen. so if baseball offers up enough physical exertion to meet the definition, then why not golf?

in terms of physical fitness requirements, those with fragile logic will spit out a name like John Daly. and my retort is, Daly is an anomaly. kinda like Oliver Miller was in the NBA, or Cecil Fielder was in baseball. if you're a member of the PGA Tour in the year 2022, you best get fit fast because the overwhelming majority of your competition already is. ever seen Tiger with his shirt off?

or what about DeChambeau? dude bulked up to 240 and does sublime things with a stick in his hands. if a vicious lash like the one below isn't considered physical exertion, then el oh el. walk off 417 yards sometime, then turn around and try to imagine hitting a golf ball back to your starting point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSjZFWHcgCM

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am going to have to back @galaxy27 on this one. Golf is a sport, but it is sometimes still unfairly poopooed. Time to set the record straight. Right here. Right now. For prosperity. Golf is a sport.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Game, but such a boring one, I won't bother to argue.

Next up bowling.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

So Banzai has to post just to say he doesn't care about golf?
    The question would then be why open the thread because the title clearly denoted it was about golf?

It was such a hard sport for Ted Williams to play he had to give it up and go fishing.
    Talk about boring.

I was actually very happy to see Rory win that tourney last weekend especially after
    rooting for him in the British Open and coming up just a little short.

Still if the men and women are on at the same time I usually opt to watch the women
    especially if Brooke is in contention...

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

LIV theme song explains why they're leaving the PGA Tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjgwjh4H7wg

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/