Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Never mind, not a phish, thanks anyway!

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 30, 2022 2:08PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Title to what is likely a phish - I received this both through ebay messaging and by e-mail:

**Hello XXXXXX,
A payment has been initiated to you from eBay. Please find the details below:

Initiated Date: 29-Aug-22
Order Number: 20-08797-91197
Amount: 79.74999999999999 USD

The specified amount will be returned to the payment method you used to pay for the order within 48 hours. If you experience any issues with this payment or order, please contact us at 1-866-540-3229.

Thanks,
eBay

Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.**

Has anyone else received these? Other than ignoring them and checking my payment methods, is there anything else I should do?

Comments

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

If received through eBay's messaging service, it could be a "forced" refund for a purchase you might have recently made for something that eBay deemed inappropriate or from a seller that just got the boot.

If you do nothing and get the credit to your payment source, it's all good.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

By the way, > @ZoidMeister said:

If received through eBay's messaging service, it could be a "forced" refund for a purchase you might have recently made for something that eBay deemed inappropriate or from a seller that just got the boot.

If you do nothing and get the credit to your payment source, it's all good.

Z

Actually it might be some sales tax refunds - I will update and report back if that is the case. It has been so long that I was just going to follow up on their usual non-action about resolving sales tax issues for Connecticut residents.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the eBay page link for this and information on reporting. That is if you decide that it is/was a phish.

https://www.ebay.com/help/account/protecting-account/recognising-spoof-emails?id=4195&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5336728181&customid=&toolid=10001

Suspicious email

Don’t click any links in the email or open any attachments.
    Forward the message to us as an attachment at spoof@ebay.com.
    We’ll let you know that we received the email.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could be a tax refund through ebay, but I received a similarly worded email referencing a phony $300 credit from Paypal. This would have been the beginning of summer. Unfortunately, I deleted that email... I obviously didn't click on the handy "link" provided in the email...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

Confirmed it was sales tax refund, not a phish, so . . .

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D

Love Gilda Radner!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Windfall bucks, always nice!

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file