Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone seen this coin before and if so what is it?

I’m just trying to get verification on a coin as to its Origins maybe who engraved so on so forth and yes I’m aware it is corroded my question in response would have to be if the ark of the covenant were corroded would it have any less importance? Think about it thanks

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a large cent or half cent. Classic head.

Try LESS magnification.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

Try LESS magnification.

Thank you sir I’ll try that but what do you make of all the bird heads

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a very corroded foreign copper. You should try posting on the World Coin. Somebody over there would have a better chance of recognizing it.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Has anyone seen this coin before"

Yep it looks just like the last one you posted.

"what is it?"

Scrap metal.

• Options

@Oldhoopster said:
    Just a very corroded foreign copper. You should try posting on the World Coin. Somebody over there would have a better chance of recognizing it.

I would but it is a US coin and would just upset them as to why I posted it there

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

Try LESS magnification.

Oh and you are correct in that it is a large cent in the likeness of a classic head

• Options

@TomB said:
    I believe it is the Apollo 11 landing spot.

How I wish I had your equipment or you here to photograph what is there on this moon the view is Incredible from here

• Options

If you all can do this 1 thing take the picture below and draw lines from north to south then east to west at where the wreath should be and the rim you will find a head turn the image a quarter turn and do it again moving towards the center each time you will find the heads oh and what appears to be the moon or globe always below them telling you it cool as I can’t say in PG

• Options

Everything you wanted to know about 1808-14 classic head large cents (or just read the info in your copy of the Redbook)

https://www.usacoinbook.com/coins/large-cents/classic-head/

pcgs.com/coinfacts/category/classic-head-cent-1808-1814/661

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:

"what is it?"

Scrap metal.

Lol it does look like the last one, it’s way to valuable for scrap though.
    As to what it is it’s a coin engraved by a man no one knew even existed outside a comment found in a book written about 18th century artists of the day and even then only described as a picture he had seen.

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

As stated, a normal corroded Classic head large cent.

• Options

@NeveroddoreveN said:
    As to what it is it’s a coin engraved by a man no one knew even existed outside a comment found in a book written about 18th century artists of the day and even then only described as a picture he had seen.

The classic head large cent was designed and engraved by John Reich. He is well known and biographical info is easy to find

usacoinbook.com/encyclopedia/coin-designers/john-reich/

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NeveroddoreveN said:

An 18th century artist would not have seen a "picture" of anything. Photography was not invented yet.

• Options

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NeveroddoreveN said:
    If you all can do this 1 thing take the picture below and draw lines from north to south then east to west at where the wreath should be and the rim you will find a head turn the image a quarter turn and do it again moving towards the center each time you will find the heads oh and what appears to be the moon or globe always below them …

…you put your right foot in, then you shake it all about, and then you do the hokey…

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fraz said:

@NeveroddoreveN said:
    If you all can do this 1 thing take the picture below and draw lines from north to south then east to west at where the wreath should be and the rim you will find a head turn the image a quarter turn and do it again moving towards the center each time you will find the heads oh and what appears to be the moon or globe always below them …

…you put your right foot in, then you shake it all about, and then you do the hokey…

And poke it all about? 😅

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NeveroddoreveN said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

"what is it?"

Scrap metal.

Lol it does look like the last one, it’s way to valuable for scrap though.

Sounds like you already know (or think you know) what it is - so why are you asking us?

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

"if the ark of the covenant were corroded would it have any less importance?"
    "but what do you make of all the bird heads?"
    "it’s way to valuable for scrap though."

If you share what you are smoking & drinking I might be able to see it. ;)

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

As you requested, I've given this a great deal of thought and reflection. I then carefully examined your comprehensive pictures and, by golly, I DO think I see it! Check out how it corresponds and note the die cracks. Can you find the die cracks on your specimen?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    As you requested, I've given this a great deal of thought and reflection. I then carefully examined your comprehensive pictures and, by golly, I DO think I see it! Check out how it corresponds and note the die cracks. Can you find the die cracks on your specimen?

Ah, now it’s all beginning to make sense!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easy.

Just think:

Neil Armstrong:

July 20, 1969

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are the coins on the carpet in the background of your image here @NeveroddoreveN
    just curious

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should send that in and get it graded

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    from your fifth picture that you posted
    @NeveroddoreveN

I'd grade this version red/brown!

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

This thread would not be complete without a post by eATV. :D

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send it to the gates of the rabbit hole, we'll leave the light on.

• Options
    AbehunterAbehunter Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

I can > @emeraldATV said:

If only coins could talk

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait... What... what do you mean coins don't talk?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP may be the longest pictorial post of a corroded one cent piece that I have seen on this forum. Other than that, nothing of numismatic significance. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file