Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The demise of eBay has fueled the success of Great Collections.

MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a thread last week discussing Great Collections and asking whether it was a real auction site. It looked peculiar to me and spawned some interesting discourse with pretty much everyone agreeing that, yes, GC is indeed an auction site and a very good one at that. I don't recall replying but it caused me to investigate eBay a little in areas where I regularly search. The answer to my question is sort of shocking --- How many "true auctions" currently run at eBay in areas I search??"

I have three searches, the first one is in Exonumia where I simply add HK to the search bar looking for So-Called Dollars. Right now it returns 1,300+ under "all listings" in the category. If I use the bar above the listings and switch to "Auctions" it returns only 91 listings!!! Wow. I suppose that not too different in categories across the board, but I thought I'd ask members to do the same thing in searches at eBay for whatever coins they're searching for.

With things like that taking place it's no wonder Great Collections is continuing to build their following and growing more successful with each passing sale. It's a good business model, one that eBay seems to have left behind as it becomes a for sale site. Additionally, GC offers a security that eBay just cant and I find I rarely see anything there, but I keep looking.

Please post your search results, inquiring mind(s) would like to know what you find.

Maywood

Comments

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I'd have guessed at least 1/3 to 1/2. The reality being 9% is surprising.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2022 6:45AM

Depends what side of the transaction you’re on. Now sellers are doing well. I have to really want something because I know I will have to pay up. Many times I can find similar coins on dealers websites for less. 10 years ago you could really get a deal and (almost) no one ever sniped.

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

It really depends on the exact coin. Some are BIN or BIN w/ offer, and others are auction heavy. Some of the asks on eBay are ridiculous though. I've seen people asking thousands for a coin worth several hundred or maybe $1k (worth being based on the last 3 months of sales data including coin facts that lists sb, ha, gc etc). Some of the asking prices are all over the place!

• Options
    wevwev Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

I collect American silver, flat and hollowware. Today the ebay listing count under Coin Silver is 7,996 BIN and 429 auction. In addition, many of the auctions begin at high retail, so they might as well be considered BIN, too.
    That's been the norm for quite some time now.

• Options

@Maywood yeah... I'd bet some of them are listing coins for tax reasons so they can have a 'shop' with expenses and a loss. They don't really want to sell but they have to make it appear so.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wev said:
    I collect American silver, flat and hollowware. Today the ebay listing count under Coin Silver is 7,996 BIN and 429 auction. In addition, many of the auctions begin at high retail, so they might as well be considered BIN, too.
    That's been the norm for quite some time now.

What's the listing count on GC for the same items?

• Options

@spyglassdesign said:
    @Maywood yeah... I'd bet some of them are listing coins for tax reasons so they can have a 'shop' with expenses and a loss. They don't really want to sell but they have to make it appear so.

I am mostly a dealer. However, I do have a few coins that I really like. I price them well above current market value hoping they hang around for a while. [Oddly, it only works about half the time. LOL.]

• Options

@Maywood said:
    There was a thread last week discussing Great Collections and asking whether it was a real auction site. It looked peculiar to me and spawned some interesting discourse with pretty much everyone agreeing that, yes, GC is indeed an auction site and a very good one at that. I don't recall replying but it caused me to investigate eBay a little in areas where I regularly search. The answer to my question is sort of shocking --- How many "true auctions" currently run at eBay in areas I search??"

I have three searches, the first one is in Exonumia where I simply add HK to the search bar looking for So-Called Dollars. Right now it returns 1,300+ under "all listings" in the category. If I use the bar above the listings and switch to "Auctions" it returns only 91 listings!!! Wow. I suppose that not too different in categories across the board, but I thought I'd ask members to do the same thing in searches at eBay for whatever coins they're searching for.

With things like that taking place it's no wonder Great Collections is continuing to build their following and growing more successful with each passing sale. It's a good business model, one that eBay seems to have left behind as it becomes a for sale site. Additionally, GC offers a security that eBay just cant and I find I rarely see anything there, but I keep looking.

Please post your search results, inquiring mind(s) would like to know what you find.

Maywood

I'm really surprised that GC has more than 91 so-called dollar auctions running now. I'm even more surprised that GC has more than 1300 so-called dollars listed.

Oh, wait. I just looked. THERE ARE ZERO LISTINGS ON GC UNDER SO-CALLED DOLLARS.

You might want to fix your title. I think you accidentally switched eBay with Great Collections. ;)

• Options

1881-S Morgan dollar

141 on Great Collections

325 auctions on eBay - 2.3x the number on GC.

Also, a BONUS of 3200+ fixed price listings. So there are TWENTY FIVE TIMES as many 1881-S Morgans on eBay than on Great Collections.

"Demise"? LMFAO

• Options
    mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder how many ebay buyers also use great collections. Certainly if you want ungraded material ebay is the place to go. I use ebay to find coins and see id the seller has a website and get the item for much cheaper, but I suspect a lot of people don’t do this.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I just don't know. I know Ebay has more of everything on its site then any other site including Heritage...

I wonder sometimes if Heritage is going to buy GC?.....

• Options
    edited August 30, 2022 8:33AM

1885 Liberty Nickel

4 of them on Great collections

16 auctions on eBay (4x as many)
    171 Buy It Now on eBay.

The four coins on GC are a Fair2, XF details, AU-58+ CAC and a VF-35 CAC.

The 16 auctions on eBay include (just slabbed) a G6 and an AG3 while the BIN include (slabs only) a G4, VF20 details, FR2, VG details, Proof 64, G4, AU details, XF details, VG8, F12, VG10, XF45, Proof 65, AU55, AU58, XF45, MINT STATE 62 (three of them), Proof 65. There are no fewer than THREE MS-67 coins and and MS-66+ CAC, TWO MS-66 and an MS64 CAC as well as a PROOF 68.

So, if you wanted an 1885 Liberty Nickel, where would you go? I'd go to eBay!

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2022 1:52PM

@MasonG said:

@Maywood said:
    welcome to the ignore list, lanzaf. now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion. :)

He did searches and reported his results as you requested and you're ignoring him now? Not that inquiring a mind, after all, seems to me.

When some people hear the truth that they do not want to hear, they ignore it, dismiss it, and do not want to be educated.

When some people hear lies that fit their views, they embrace the lie and ignore the facts.

I do not get it.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    This is another dumb clickbait thread title.

While I generally dislike when people call out threads as clickbait, I think the proof is in the pudding on this one. Flawed conclusion based on too limited data.

And, you got an undeserved 'ignore' when you gave him proof that discredits his argument.

You know the infamous line? 'You can't handle the truth!' 😜

• Options

@MasonG said:

@Maywood said:
    welcome to the ignore list, lanzaf. now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion. :)

He did searches and reported his results as you requested and you're ignoring him now? Not that inquiring a mind, after all, seems to me.

Oh, I think we know two things:

1. He didn't want data because he led with a conclusion ("demise") and not a question.
    2. I was sort of begging to be put on "ignore" with my somewhat sarcastic response to the original conclusion.

So, we all got what we deserved!!!

I'm going to go list some stuff on eBay. I need to make my money before the lights go off!

• Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

Playing devil’s advocate, those ratios should narrow some if you look at just auctions that actually transacted. There are a lot of eBay auctions that I have been skipping over lately while looking for large cents to fill my set because the seller has an above market starting bid. I’m not at all saying that eBay is on its way out but I’m glad there are multiple other viable places to transact.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    1881-S Morgan dollar

141 on Great Collections

325 auctions on eBay - 2.3x the number on GC.

Also, a BONUS of 3200+ fixed price listings. So there are TWENTY FIVE TIMES as many 1881-S Morgans on eBay than on Great Collections.

"Demise"? LMFAO

A quote from Mark Twain comes to mind . . . . .

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2022 2:18PM

I think GC seems to be doing better and better, and it's competing with ebay for a lot of the price level it operates in.

I've seen a change in ebay over the last 10 years, but I think GC is only a small part of it. GC on average operates at a price level for the second tier of coins (right below places like HA), and I think that's their strength. They do get some top tier coins. I'm only speaking generally.

Ebay has shifted away from being an auction platform to being more of a fixed-price selling platform. If you are a pure auction person, then I can see you getting more excited about GC these days.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

@mavs2583 said:
    I wonder how many ebay buyers also use great collections. Certainly if you want ungraded material ebay is the place to go. I use ebay to find coins and see id the seller has a website and get the item for much cheaper, but I suspect a lot of people don’t do this.

Look at my 1885 nickel data. There's also more and BETTER slabs on ebay

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@neildrobertson said:
    Ebay has shifted away from being an auction platform to being more of a fixed-price selling platform.

A lot of the buyers on eBay have shifted, anyway. I used to run 80 to 100 auctions a week, now everything is fixed price. "Bidders" embracing sniping in order to avoid having others respond to their bid turns that bid into a binding offer. I can understand not wanting to compete with other buyers but I would prefer to set my own price rather than letting the buyer do it. So- no more auctions for me.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

More and more I am seeing high reserve bids needed to start the bidding on gold coins on GC. Probably the signs of a hot market where sellers are worried the auction will not work out.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a fan of paying a buyer fee plus a shipping fee on GC. Yeah, Yeah, add it to your final amount you're willing to pay, etc. I can usually get the same or better on ebay no fees to me and about the same or lower cost

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2022 12:11PM

If you know what you're doing ebay can be a great option. Many sellers have limited capital to work with, so delays in grading and increased rates are a major problem for them. One good thing about GC is that they will get coins graded faster at discounted rates and then schedule them in their auctions, so if you have nice high end coins needing grading and possibly cac submissions they will get that done.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I handpick the coins I buy.

I do not care where I buy them from. Many different sources.

When I go to sell, it is eBay, my website, and Instagram.

Totally agree on all counts.

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trigger warning.

Danger will Robinson. Danger.

I'm staying away.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay started off as an all-auction venue but has been gradually trying to become Amazon for quite some time now. I still like going old school and doing the auction thing when we list. Unfortunately a lot of "buy it now" pricing is more like "let's see if we can get moon money" pricing.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    AdamLAdamL Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2022 2:03PM

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2022 12:25PM

Totally disagree with the OP. Bought lots from GC retailed for good profit margin both eBay and shows.

eBay remains the worlds largest coin show. GC is my fav auc site and a strong source for quality inventory.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Ebay is far from dead and I shop there for the variety and very reasonable shipping and taxes. GC is where I go to get lucky at getting a specific coin; often times at 25% below price guide value. Their shipping and fees are a bit much though as my last purchase at around $300 added almost 12% to the cost. Both sites serve a purpose for me.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spyglassdesign said:

This explanation makes no sense - google the IRS safe harbor rule.

eBay and GC are both awesome in different ways. Auction houses, dealer websites, shows, local shops, social media, etc. all have certain advantages and disadvantages - you have to learn what makes sense in what situation. Are you buying junk silver, selling 19th C CAC material, collecting major rarities or flipping US Mint releases?

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2022 12:39PM

Dunno, eBay is rockin' my world right now.

I love GC, but dat volume I'm throwing at eBay... Note that a nice chunk of this is raw stuff I simply cannot sell on GC. :smiley:

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@pcgscacgold said:
    More and more I am seeing high reserve bids needed to start the bidding on gold coins on GC. Probably the signs of a hot market where sellers are worried the auction will not work out.

What you described is usually the sign of a weak market, not a strong one.

I was trying to get at the fact that it's a hot market but sellers are worried they may have missed the boat so they want to protect and not sell at a low price. Sorry for the confusion.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

ebay is becoming a storefront for sellers who do not want the hassle of overhead and expenses. As such it deals with fixed prices. Many large established retailers are now selling on ebay as well as from their own websites.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2022 12:48PM

Look at those impressions and page views! Where else am I gonna get 50,000 pairs of eyes on my coins? That's what, 8-10 times the attendance of ANA WFOM?

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, Long time buyer and seller of Lincoln cents here - so no facts, just gut feelings. Yes, I am allowed to rant gut feelings. Interesting that in the old days, eBay use to list the number of total Lincoln cents listed. That number went from around 7,000 on any given day in the 1990's to around 11,000 when they stopped several years ago. (unless that number is not hidden ?? then please educate me) My guess is that its more...More absolute crap. Posted by many scammers with 0 feed back. Every cent they listed is rare and worth thousands. Every 1992 is a close AM, every 1909 VDB is a Matte Proof, etc.,. Sure its a free world, you can list what you want. But the lack of any control, or scrutiny of this BS is beyond my wanting to sell there any longer because my gut feeling tells me its tolerated now more so in the past. Why say this?? Because it takes whole lot of us to bring listings with counterfeit, stolen picture, fake slab, etc down. In the past, all you had to do was tell them once and they were on it. I stopped selling mostly slabbed cents about 2 years ago on eBay. I was absolutely blown away by the lack of bids, and the loss of money on final prices. I would compare the same coin on GC using their auction archive and could see the same coin was bringing stronger money so I only sell on GC now. And it's been just fine. More bids, better sales. I think - Gut feeling again.. When store fronts became the thing and occasional sellers like myself where no longer the main income for eBay, well, thats another reason to stop selling there. As far as the rest of stuff to buy on eBay, I use it a lot. But coins and as I said, particularly cents, I think there has been a drop in serious collectors shopping at eBay than before. It might be not just because of GC, but other on line markets that have evolved and it has to be taking some percentage of sales/bids away. I would like to hear your opinion if you sell Lincoln cents on eBay or GC.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

So it seems I'm the village idiot, yet numerous members have in basis agreed with what I've said, received "likes" or "agrees" and gotten a free pass on the ridicule. That's about par for the course here and doesn't really bother me.

I've been a member at eBay for about 25 years now and it's a mere shadow of what it once was last century. I guess that was what I so in-eloquently tried to express. Geez, you guys are testy today!! Ragging on eBay at this site has a well established history bordering on blood sport, so I didn't say much of anything that hasn't already been expressed by others. Maybe I used the wrong word, demise, or maybe I'm a newer member who isn't entitled to express his opinion. This much I know --- look at the replies that are critical of what I posted and you should see a number of members who are dearly dependent on what business they transact at eBay. Of course they'd want to defend the site and ridicule any contrary opinion.

Believe me, I get it and apparently others do, also.

• Options

@derryb said:
    ebay is becoming a storefront for sellers who do not want the hassle of overhead and expenses. As such it deals with fixed prices. Many large established retailers are now selling on ebay as well as from their own websites.

David Lawrence has some awesome coins on eBay.

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:

Look at those impressions and page views! Where else am I gonna get 50,000 pairs of eyes on my coins? That's what, 8-10 times the attendance of ANA WFOM?

At a fraction of the "table fees"....

Careful. All you ebay boosters are going to join me on "ignore".

• Options

@WaterSport said:
    Ok, Long time buyer and seller of Lincoln cents here - so no facts, just gut feelings. Yes, I am allowed to rant gut feelings. Interesting that in the old days, eBay use to list the number of total Lincoln cents listed. That number went from around 7,000 on any given day in the 1990's to around 11,000 when they stopped several years ago. (unless that number is not hidden ?? then please educate me) My guess is that its more...More absolute crap. Posted by many scammers with 0 feed back. Every cent they listed is rare and worth thousands. Every 1992 is a close AM, every 1909 VDB is a Matte Proof, etc.,. Sure its a free world, you can list what you want. But the lack of any control, or scrutiny of this BS is beyond my wanting to sell there any longer because my gut feeling tells me its tolerated now more so in the past. Why say this?? Because it takes whole lot of us to bring listings with counterfeit, stolen picture, fake slab, etc down. In the past, all you had to do was tell them once and they were on it. I stopped selling mostly slabbed cents about 2 years ago on eBay. I was absolutely blown away by the lack of bids, and the loss of money on final prices. I would compare the same coin on GC using their auction archive and could see the same coin was bringing stronger money so I only sell on GC now. And it's been just fine. More bids, better sales. I think - Gut feeling again.. When store fronts became the thing and occasional sellers like myself where no longer the main income for eBay, well, thats another reason to stop selling there. As far as the rest of stuff to buy on eBay, I use it a lot. But coins and as I said, particularly cents, I think there has been a drop in serious collectors shopping at eBay than before. It might be not just because of GC, but other on line markets that have evolved and it has to be taking some percentage of sales/bids away. I would like to hear your opinion if you sell Lincoln cents on eBay or GC.

WS

I sell Lincoln Cents on ebay, mostly fixed price. There is too much material on ebay. If you list anything but the rarest of coins, you can't guarantee you'll get bids. While there might be 2 or 3 in a GC or Heritage auction, there will be dozens or hundreds on ebay.

You can see the total number. You can also use advanced search to get better results.

• Options

Currently in the US Coins category:
    --- 1,044,576 total listings.
    --- 148,557 Auction listings.

That's 14%.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterSport said:
    Ok, Long time buyer and seller of Lincoln cents here - so no facts, just gut feelings. Yes, I am allowed to rant gut feelings. Interesting that in the old days, eBay use to list the number of total Lincoln cents listed. That number went from around 7,000 on any given day in the 1990's to around 11,000 when they stopped several years ago. (unless that number is not hidden ?? then please educate me)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file