Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A little help assessing a variety value...price guides are no help.

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you saw my CAC thread from last weekend, my 1864 2C LM RPD FS-1303, RB did receive a green bean, which should help in selling. I have a couple of offers pending and one reply so far. Of course the question is "what is you asking price?" With no price guide or auction history to be found for the variety, where do I start for an asking price? There are three others (4/0) that share the top pop grade designation of PCGS MS65RB for the variety in CoinFacts, with one other S/N listed which is not in the CAC database. Bonus for this one. I really wished that CAC listed varieties to see if there were any other within the grade and RB designation. The NGC database does list one in MS65RB as top pop.

Thank you for your interest and comments!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such coins don't have guides and never will. They are too thinly traded. It's really going to have to be about what it is worth ton you and to the potential buyer. Starting point is the price of a normal type. But the fact is that there could be very little premium for a variety unless the buyer is really motivated.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @jmlanzaf.... You will need to appeal to a niche market to realize any premium associated with the variety. Good luck... Cheers, RickO

• Options

I may be better off hitting a couple of dealers tables with an in-hand assessment 🤔

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    I may be better off hitting a couple of dealers tables with an in-hand assessment 🤔

Looking through "The Authoritative Reference on Two Cent Pieces" there are 26 different RPD's.
    Do you have any kind of diagnostic or cross reference?

• Options
    edited August 30, 2022 4:28PM

@Raybo said:

@oih82w8 said:

Looking through "The Authoritative Reference on Two Cent Pieces" there are 26 different RPD's.

An older thread before I had it attributed;

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1059301/newp-1864-2c-large-motto-repunched-date-fs-1303-unatrributed

1864 2C LM RPD FS-1303 RB PCGS MS-65 RB CAC

Flynn: RPD-006

"Description: The repunched date is clearly vertically doubled at the 1 and 8 of the date, with the serif and left base of the 1 nicely separated. The center top repunching of the 8 looks like two horns."

"CPG Comments : Early die states can show clashing on the obverse" (wheat grains show from the reverse on the first two vertical shield lines)

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2022 4:49PM

Beautiful coin!
    Yeah, best bet is to connect yourself with an "variety guy/gal". They would be the Most interested and best potential buyer.
    Good Luck

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:

@Raybo said:

@oih82w8 said:

An older thread before I had it attributed;

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1059301/newp-1864-2c-large-motto-repunched-date-fs-1303-unatrributed

1864 2C LM RPD FS-1303 RB PCGS MS-65 RB CAC

Flynn: RPD-006

"Description: The repunched date is clearly vertically doubled at the 1 and 8 of the date, with the serif and left base of the 1 nicely separated. The center top repunching of the 8 looks like two horns."

"CPG Comments : Early die states can show clashing on the obverse" (wheat grains show from the reverse on the first two vertical shield lines)

Oh yea, that was from me. :#

There is no premium for RPD-006.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file