Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1957 Denver Wheat Penny

Comments

• Options
    Dug13Dug13 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the Forum.
    Visit a local or online bookstore and purchase The Red Book.

Wall of HONOR transaction list:WonderCoin, CoinFlip, Masscrew, Travintiques, lordmarcovan, Jinx86, Gerard, ElKevvo

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

Denver mint.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AbehunterAbehunter Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

I got one from a coin roll couple weeks back,do you have others as well?

• Options

@ajaan said:
    Denver mint.

Thanks

• Options

@ajaan said:
    Denver mint.

Thanks> @Abehunter said:

I got a few 60s and 70s. No other wheats

• Options

Wow,you might want to close your eyes,I see where this is going,you'll probably see what I'm saying in a minute

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should only hold coins by the edges. When you touch them like you are in the photo you are leaving skin oils and acids on the surface that can damage the coin.

• Options

60 and 70 wheats or 60 and 70 pennys?> @OneYoungGrumpyVet said:

@ajaan said:
    Denver mint.

Thanks> @Abehunter said:

60 and 70 wheats?

• Options

@JBK said:
    You should only hold coins by the edges. When you touch them like you are in the photo you are leaving skin oils and acids on the surface that can damage the coin.

Good point. Im cleaning them tomorrow.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OneYoungGrumpyVet You should never clean coins. I understand the 2 wheats that you have shown aren't worth amore than a few cents. Nevertheless you should start off on the right foot by learning to not clean any coins.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@Abehunter said:

@ajaan said:
    Denver mint.

Thanks> @Abehunter said:

60 and 70 wheats?

I'll post my collection later. Maybe you can tell me a thing or two about the metals they're made of. Started collecting on and off a few years ago. While I know a thing or two I'm still a novice... With that said I'm obsessed with wheat pennies, because I found a few of them as an orphan and it was all I had. I've only ever found like 4 of them in my entire life. I like the backs, because it's a reminder money= wheat.

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    @OneYoungGrumpyVet You should never clean coins. I understand the 2 wheats that you have shown aren't worth amore than a few cents. Nevertheless you should start off on the right foot by learning to not clean any coins.

Let a pro clean them and grade them I take it.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OneYoungGrumpyVet said:

@gumby1234 said:

Let a pro clean them and grade them I take it.

Yes, but not those cents. Those aren't worth spending any money on.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep looking to add more to your collection. Good luck.

• Options

@OneYoungGrumpyVet said:

@Abehunter said:

@ajaan said:
    Denver mint.

Thanks> @Abehunter said:

60 and 70 wheats?

I'll post my collection later. Maybe you can tell me a thing or two about the metals they're made of. Started collecting on and off a few years ago. While I know a thing or two I'm still a novice... With that said I'm obsessed with wheat pennies, because I found a few of them as an orphan and it was all I had. I've only ever found like 4 of them in my entire life. I like the backs, because it's a reminder money= wheat.

I'm probably the wrong person for that,I'm more like,hey that's cool ,or I'd like to find one of those,or ,stuff like that,I'm not like ,you need to get this or that, or that stuff, but that being said cents before 1982 were copper-not a 100 percent,like 75 per,in 1982 they did make copper and zinc pennys, a transition year that has some errors,anyway ,sure ask what you want

• Options

@Abehunter said:

@OneYoungGrumpyVet said:

@Abehunter said:

@ajaan said:
    Denver mint.

Thanks> @Abehunter said:

60 and 70 wheats?

I'm probably the wrong person for that,I'm more like,hey that's cool ,or I'd like to find one of those,or ,stuff like that,I'm not like ,you need to get this or that, or that stuff, but that being said cents before 1982 were copper-not a 100 percent,like 75 per,in 1982 they did make copper and zinc pennys, a transition year that has some errors,anyway ,sure ask what you want

Also 1943 was steel pennys,however a handful of copper have been found

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

One more time... Do not clean your coins... it destroys any value they may have. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@gumby1234 said:

Seriously, new at this, why not?

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously, new at this, why not?

Simplest answer: cleaning can't be undone, ever.

Cleaning makes irreversible changes to the metal surface. A cleaned coin today will still be a cleaned coin 100 years from now. When you clean a coin you remove all chance for a future collector to have an original unmolested example. They won't thank you for it.

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Successful trolling in action.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options

What I have found on the skin oils and acids when touching specifically copper.

"Sulfur is abundantly found in muscles, skin, bones and hair, as well as many other systems in the body. It helps maintain the skin elasticity, and sulfur bonds help muscles, skin and bones maintain their shape. " (1)

"...vitamin D3 sulfate and cholesterol sulfate. We simultaneously produce both molecules, which exist in the bloodstream and many other parts of the body, when we’re exposed to sunlight." (2)

Now this next one is from a website about using copper piping underground but you can imagine

"Soils containing large quantities of organic matter (particularly soils containing organic acids) can be corrosive...
    Corrosion is often associated with a combination of elevated sulfate or chloride content in the soil..." (3)

This being said... copper is one of the most corrosion-resistant materials out there. This is one of the reasons that it is used in so many applications like wiring, (also happens to be highly conductive. but we use aluminum which isn't nearly as conductive or expensive for the highwires because it's corrosion resistant and lighter), piping (also happens to be antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal), and coating the bottom of ships and sailboats (Also happens to be deadly to most crustaceans. don't put it in your fish tank.)

Maybe you learned something maybe you didn't. Do what you want though as long as you are ok with it comin back to get you (or not) eventually.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file