DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 NGC Price Guide $550, 66 PCGS $675 & $775 in 3 "+," 13 CAC $702

Sold this afternoon for $6,600.00 net

I give up!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

One possible, though unlikely possibility is the buyer thought the coin was a branch mint proof.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:
    One possible, though unlikely possibility is the buyer thought the coin was a branch mint proof.

Yes, I agree as I am seeing coins that appear to be prooflike that have not been graded as such by NGC. Given that it's not in a fatty holder, it's hard to believe NGC and the auctioneer are missing this detail. I know that CAC will not give a gold sticker for a prooflike coin that has not been graded as such.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:

Or, he didn’t really believe it was one, but thought he might be able to get the coin into a “Branch Mint Proof” or “Specimen” holder. I think that’s more likely than that the top two bidders felt the coin would go better than 66+ Non-PL or at least 66+PL.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@FlyingAl said:

Or, he didn’t really believe it was one, but thought he might be able to get the coin into a “Branch Mint Proof” or “Specimen” holder. I think that’s more likely than that the top two bidders felt the coin would go better than 66+ Non-PL or at least 66+PL.

Yes, that is what I was thinking. The coin bears no resemblance to a true proof based on the images, though I also agree that they may be going for a PL.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen star coins go for 2-10x guide depending on the reason for the star. This one has the CAC sticker too. That said, I think its a pretty strong price for the coin. White coins with the star are always a mystery to me!

• Options

@erwindoc said:
    I have seen star coins go for 2-10x guide depending on the reason for the star. This one has the CAC sticker too. That said, I think its a pretty strong price for the coin. White coins with the star are always a mystery to me!

There’s not really much mystery in color-free coins with stars. Some of the more common ones are non-Cameo Proofs that just miss the Cameo designation, non-PL coins that just miss the PL designation, one sided Cameos, one sided PL’s, Cameo Proofs that just miss the Ultra Cameo designation, etc.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate fingerprints on coins and this dime has one in maybe the worst location. This strikes me as just another example of holder and designation worship with the hope that the coin can be viewed by NGC or PCGS as maybe something ultra special. Maybe it can go back to NGC and return as MS64+*W-PL with a CAC sticker and the James Sego sticker added just for kicks.

Whatever happened to the bygone days when the coin was the most important thing and not the holder and insert??

• Options

@Maywood said:
    I hate fingerprints on coins and this dime has one in maybe the worst location. This strikes me as just another example of holder and designation worship with the hope that the coin can be viewed by NGC or PCGS as maybe something ultra special. Maybe it can go back to NGC and return as MS64+*W-PL with a CAC sticker and the James Sego sticker added just for kicks.

Whatever happened to the bygone days when the coin was the most important thing and not the holder and insert??

The coin didn't bring the price it did, based on holder and designation worship. The CU price is $775 for MS64+, $1450 for an MS65 and $4000 for an MS66. It brought more than PCGS/CAC MS66+ money.

• Options

It's just an opinion, Mark.

• Options

@Maywood said:
    I hate fingerprints on coins

You wonder if that "fingerprint" was there when the coin was graded?

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2022 6:23AM

Plus Star CAC coins are hot, hot hot hot hot hot hot hot. Can't touch 'em right now myself, but I sure as heck don't mind selling 'em!

Barber dimes are a tough series for stars too.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

@Maywood said:
    It's just an opinion, Mark.

Understood. But in this instance, how do you attribute the price realized to holder and designation worship? The grade couldn't be the reason, as the 64+ CU price is $775. So that leaves the NGC "Star". And while that designation often brings strong prices, they're not usually anywhere near THAT strong.

I would have understood your point much better if the coin had been conspicuously over-graded, yet still brought a price commensurate with the over-grade (label).

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a huge price for that coin.... I wish someone here knew the buyer so they could ask 'why?'.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    That is a huge price for that coin.... I wish someone here knew the buyer so they could ask 'why?'.... Cheers, RickO

Me too.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a grand total of 7 barber dimes with the plus star dual designation out of 30k+ graded by NGC. That's why it's so expensive.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Randomly browsing Heritage, I’ve seen past sales that definitely made me scratch my head. It just happens sometimes.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@erwindoc said:

There’s not really much mystery in color-free coins with stars. Some of the more common ones are non-Cameo Proofs that just miss the Cameo designation, non-PL coins that just miss the PL designation, one sided Cameos, one sided PL’s, Cameo Proofs that just miss the Ultra Cameo designation, etc.

I was referring only to business strike coins.

• Options

@MFeld said: But in this instance, how do you attribute the price realized to holder and designation worship?

@DelawareDoons has provided at least part of a probable answer: There's a grand total of 7 barber dimes with the plus star dual designation out of 30k+ graded by NGC. That's why it's so expensive. My hunch is that the coin will stay in that holder unless it gets cracked out and dipped to remove the fingerprint, but that'd be risky.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file