Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PR: "U.S. Mint Announces Designs for 2023 American Women Quarters™ Program Coins

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Jovita Idar design is one of the strangest I've ever seen.

WASHINGTON – The United States Mint (Mint) is pleased to announce the designs for the second year of the American Women Quarters™ Program. Authorized by Public Law 116-330, this four-year program features coins with reverse (tails) designs emblematic of the accomplishments and contributions of trailblazing American women. Beginning in 2022 and continuing through 2025, the Mint is issuing five quarters in each of these years. The ethnically, racially, and geographically diverse group of individuals honored through this program reflects a wide range of accomplishments and fields, including suffrage, civil rights, abolition, government, humanities, science, space, and the arts. The 2023 coins recognize the achievements of Bessie Coleman, Jovita Idar, Edith Kanakaʻole, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Maria Tallchief.

“I am pleased to announce the designs of the 2023 American Women Quarters,” said Mint Director Ventris C. Gibson. “These beautiful designs honor the achievements of these amazing women and add to the Mint’s rich history of rendering the history of our Nation in enduring examples of numismatic art.”

Designed and Sculpted by John P. McGraw, United States Mint Medallic Artist

Depicts a portrait of Jovita Idar with her hands clasped. Within her body are inscriptions representing some of her greatest accomplishments and the newspapers for which she wrote. The text includes the inscriptions “MEXICAN AMERICAN RIGHTS,” “TEACHER,” “JOVITA IDAR,” “NURSE,” “EVOLUCIÓN,” “ASTREA,” “EL HERALDO CRISTIANO,” “LA CRUZ BLANCA,” “JOURNALIST,” “LA CRÓNICA,” “EL PROGRESO,” and “LA LIGA FEMENIL MEXICANISTA,” as well as “QUARTER DOLLAR,” “E PLURIBUS UNUM,” and “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.”

(Continued in link) https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-releases/united-states-mint-announces-designs-for-2023-american-women-quarters-program-coins

Comments

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

The actual engravings and final real coins will not come close to looking like a few of these photo type designs.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bessie Coleman looks great. but I’m biased because I always thought she was awesome and I’ve heard of her. Eleanor Roosevelt is great too but it’s hard to compete with that Bessie design

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bessie Coleman is the best of this bunch.

• Options
    SjsharkiesSjsharkies Posts: 16 ✭✭✭

The Jovita Idar and Edith Kanaka'ole are the two I'm most looking forward to seeing.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    Bessie Coleman is the best of this bunch.

No question in my mind. Bessie Coleman for the new coin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

They really missed an opportunity with the Eleanor Roosevelt to select better font more representative of the time she was First Lady. And there are several commems from the 1930s that had the look to choose from... oh well. The font used in the original reverse design for the Jefferson nickel would have been good. Hopefully its not too late to make an adjustment to achieve the better artistic/design outcome

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Those Bessie Colemans! I love aviation. Plus that font is used a ton in older aviation signage.

• Options

Seems the pencil drawing never translates well into a 2-dimesion coin.
    There are NO highlights or shading on a coin, like a drawing.

Why do NOT they modify the requirements when submitting a pencil drawing to have NO highlights or shading ?
    Or possibly, use only a black-and-white contrast, giving a better liking to a cameo proof coin.

I think this would give a better representation of the coin that would be minted.

And, then, the coin collector would be less disappointed.

How do we get this is motion ?

Chris

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2022 10:57PM

@SilverEagle1974 said:
    Seems the pencil drawing never translates well into a 2-dimesion coin.
    There are NO highlights or shading on a coin, like a drawing.

Why do NOT they modify the requirements when submitting a pencil drawing to have NO highlights or shading ?
    Or possibly, use only a black-and-white contrast, giving a better liking to a cameo proof coin.

I think this would give a better representation of the coin that would be minted.

And, then, the coin collector would be less disappointed.

How do we get this is motion ?

Chris

I agree completely. Look at the Texas commemorative half dollar versus the modern five star general dollar.

One was made by a sculptor, The other looks like a line drawing dragged into a CAD program.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    AbehunterAbehunter Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Looks like dinnerware to me

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I was fairly well educated but I never heard of four of the five women on the quarters for next year. :#

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only woman of these five that I am familiar with, would be Eleanor Roosevelt. I looked up the other four and read about them. As far as design, I like the Bessie Coleman and Maria Tallchief coins. Will wait and see how they strike. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2022 9:04AM

Take out Eleanor Roosevelt and it becomes the "Women You've Never Heard Of" series.
    The Jovita Adar design looks most interesting. I wonder how this coin is going to look after some wear. I cannot make a final decision until I see the actual coins in hand. The Bessie Coleman design, the name looks to be too prominent (big), but again, I will make a final decision after seeing them.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my biggest complaints about this series is the lack of cohesiveness in the designs. Likewise the Innovation dollars. I have no interest in either series.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just found some Bessie Colemans in a roll...first 2023 spotting for me.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2023 2:10PM

My my Bessie 😳
    Doesn’t look so good in hand. Quite a difference from rendering. Looks dull as a design. Kinda lifeless

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Roosevelt design strikes me as being very "busy".

I am going to have to look up info on the other women. I have heard of Bessie Coleman but not the others. That isn't bad because I may learn something new while doing the research.

It will be interesting to see just how they look when struck as coins. I see one of the forum members has just posted a photo of the actual Bessie Coleman coin. I think it is a reasonably good representation of the initial design.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

STILL haven't found a single Idar or Tallchief in circulation, and it's almost March 2024!!

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should have done Mae West

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBSTrader2 said:
    STILL haven't found a single Idar or Tallchief in circulation, and it's almost March 2024!!

I've gotten them all in change at one point.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file