Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Congrats to Jesse Kraft!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Special thanks to ANS Life Fellow Robert L. Rodriguez for funding the Resolute Americana Chair of American Numismatics at the ANS, which is now held by none other than our own @JesseKraft!

Here's the announcement and an excerpt focusing on the position:

https://www.coinbooks.org/v25/esylum_v25n34a15.html

ANS said:
The Resolute Americana Chair of American Numismatics supports the work of the curator overseeing the Society's collection of North American and Latin American coins, tokens, and paper currency, as well as portions of the collection of medals. With nearly 200,000 objects dating from the early sixteenth century to the present, the Society's American holdings represent one of the premier collections of American-related numismatics in the world.

Assistant Curator Dr. Jesse Kraft holds this endowed chair. Dr. Kraft, who completed his Ph.D. in United States History from the University of Delaware in 2019, has become acknowledged as an expert in the field of American numismatics. He has published extensively in both the Journal of Early American Numismatics, where he currently serves on the Editorial Committee, and the ANS Magazine; his forthcoming monograph, Colonial Change: The Circulation and Rejection of Foreign Coinage in the United States, ca. 1600–1900, will be published in 2023.

We are very grateful for this contribution from Mr. Rodriguez, who has been extraordinarily generous in his support of the research and publication of American numismatics at the ANS, said Executive Director Gilles Bransbourg. We are pleased that this gift recognizes the quality of the collection of American numismatics here and ensures that research in this area will continue to expand and deepen.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is quite an honor. Thank you for the link. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are some big shoes to fill. Congratulations!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most generous of the Resolute Americana collector.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭

the whole press release conditions the endowment on wearing tight period costume and various other inappropriate servitudes, but I guess Dr. Kraft was cool with it

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:
    Most generous of the Resolute Americana collector.

Yes!

Very generous of Robert L. Rodriguez, an ANS Life Fellow!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to Mr. Kraft and thank you to Mr. Rodriguez!

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi All, Thank you for all of the kind words! And thank you @Zoins for spreading the word. Sorry for the late response, I'm in Europe for the month at conferences (ICOM in Prague and INC in Warsaw) and for research purposes (Germany).

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, it's reassuring to know we've got scholarly peeps in our ranks. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Congrats, it's reassuring to know we've got scholarly peeps in our ranks. Peace Roy

pretty coins make me happy

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2023 8:52PM

gratz

i was coming to make a thread but i'm months too late!

since i saw it in a different place than Zoins' link in the OP, i'll post it here.

any chance we get to send members to some of these sites, is a good opportunity.

https://numismatics.org/january-2023-enews/

and here:

https://icomon.mini.icom.museum/5590/

Jesse Kraft is the Resolute America Assistant Curator at the American Numismatic Society in New York, USA. His responsibilities include all coins, tokens, medals, and paper currencies of both North and South America. He is currently expanding his dissertation into a book that explores the methods used by consumers and merchants to successfully navigate the circulation of foreign coinage in the United States (and earlier colonies), ca. 1650-1857. He has published various articles and chapters on an array of monetary issues from the turn of the 16th century to the present, such as a contrast between the Lima and Potosí mints in the 16th and 17th centuries, Philadelphia goldsmiths of the late 18th century, and the divisive Stone Mountain commemorative half dollar of 1925. Another major responsibility of his at the ANS is the cataloguing and curation of the Medallic Art Co. (MACO) archives, which will culminate in a state-of-the-art online database.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file