Home U.S. Coin Forum

1892 CC Morgan Authentic or Fake?

Opinions wanted on this coin, I see weird toning potentially due to a cleaning, some pitting and the distinctive hit on the reverse of upper left of the eagles breast. I could see this one going either way but more experienced eyes, what is your opinion?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/115506686946?hash=item1ae4bc2be2:g:45AAAOSwqLtjCiZJ&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoBGKa7MIuMon4t9Q9EM7sJtWMx0zw0rClarI47SgVg7zYoYZYHn64i8s3yr2B2IwDD3NgHhDqotbLKdIiM4weyPDgxK6gA%2BoPv5CpuWIWDguHpeyQwkvSVQWitqBi8n2sYQ4ZNAvjRH9rzBntJcs%2FHZoc5f1H8mXzYMlTd%2Bpaix2shIaFo7D0Lvg9az3KsACG1kkubN2x%2Fk606oum6ScDAc%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR8Tvyt3cYA

Comments

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely fake.

peacockcoins

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like one of those modern fakes that is antiqued by the shop before shipping.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• justmenutty72justmenutty72 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

Absolutely counterfeit. Seller and eBay notified

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake and reported.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

low level fake at that:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• MS66MS66 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Everyone's agreed that it's an obvious fake. But no one has been remotely specific as to why. Can anyone help out those of us who are not experts ?

The date is all wrong. Especially the 1 and the 2. Here are a couple of pics. First is a PCGS XF45, second is the counterfeit.

• RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭

Counterfeit indeed.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bogus

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

For all of you that seem to struggle with counterfeit detection, there are many books available, but if you cannot afford a book, utilize CoinFacts. There you can get multiple photos of the same date and variety coins. Just compare the one you are concerned with as to font, numbers, look and another prominent features and then when you post you will at least have an idea why your selection would be worth visiting. Good luck.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think i figured it out.

the metal used in items like this is just the junk metal (lawn chairs, crushed cars, industrial parts etc) we sell to china and they in turn, can't use all of it, so they devised this way to use what's left to make "coins" of the usa (to honor our business relations) to sell back to us. we've presumptively been mistaken this whole time. i know we aren't really familiar with china's laws and they aren't familiar with ours. so they don't fully know the disastrous effects these efforts have. far as i can tell, they have a culture of knock-offs and counterfeits, so doing this stuff is just second nature!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MS66 said:
    Everyone's agreed that it's an obvious fake. But no one has been remotely specific as to why. Can anyone help out those of us who are not experts ?

Ignoring, for the moment, fonts and numbers and such, it just looks wrong. I know that's not really specific, but there it is. You need to look at lots and lots of coins. Once you've done that, a coin like this just jumps out at you.

Seller has contacted me and has removed the listing

@MasonG said:

@MS66 said:

Ignoring, for the moment, fonts and numbers and such, it just looks wrong. I know that's not really specific, but there it is. You need to look at lots and lots of coins. Once you've done that, a coin like this just jumps out at you.

MS66 specifically asked for specifics. Just looks wrong just doesn’t cut it.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

@justmenutty72 said:

Since you are in contact with them ask them about their 91cc.
    Apparently they have had it since 1917...... that would make this seller well over 100 years old. :D
    "I have not touched since purchase in 1917..."

😂🤣😝I’m on it👍🫡

@justmenutty72 said:

@MasonG said:

@MS66 said:

Sorry to disappoint you, but I did admit that:

"I know that's not really specific, but there it is."

I also suggested a solution:

"You need to look at lots and lots of coins. Once you've done that, a coin like this just jumps out at you."

You can either do that or not- your choice.

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@justmenutty72 said:

Since you are in contact with them ask them about their 91cc.
    Apparently they have had it since 1917...... that would make this seller well over 100 years old. :D
    "I have not touched since purchase in 1917..."

It’s a typo. He meant 1997.

• MS66MS66 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@justmenutty72 said:

@MasonG said:

@MS66 said:

Sorry to disappoint you, but I did admit that:

"I know that's not really specific, but there it is."

I also suggested a solution:

"You need to look at lots and lots of coins. Once you've done that, a coin like this just jumps out at you."

You can either do that or not- your choice.

Your "solution" simply restates "it just looks wrong" and adds an "appeal to authority" with the authority presumably being yourself, or perhaps anyone of similar experience.

Saying "it looks wrong, and when you have enough experience you'll know" isn't really an improvement over the original assertion.

Thought experiment: suppose I'm in Vietnam, and half of the Morgans I see were left behind by the CIA in the 1960s, and the other half are skilful copies made 200 miles to the north of me.

In that scenario, I could easily see hundreds of coins and not know good from bad. And back here in the real world, counterfeits are more and more plentiful.

So we have books, certified examples, and online references. At least only one of those three (to my knowledge) is currently being counterfeited.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly a fake Morgan. The numerals in the date jump out first. Do not discount 'general appearance' as a warning on fake coins. When one is long familiar with a series, that alone is valid reason to move on. Cheers, RickO

@MS66 said:
    Your "solution" simply restates "it just looks wrong" and adds an "appeal to authority" with the authority presumably being yourself, or perhaps anyone of similar experience.

Saying "it looks wrong, and when you have enough experience you'll know" isn't really an improvement over the original assertion.

I offered a solution, I didn't say it was quick or easy. So- don't look at lots of coins in order to learn what legitimate coins look like. It's no skin off my nose.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file