Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1949S Lincoln Wheat Penny; possible WRPM 029

SonySony Posts: 34
edited September 15, 2022 9:30AM in U.S. Coin Forum

*UPDATED FOR NEW PHOTOS ONLY

Hello, This is updated from a previous post with new photos. Thank you for earlier replies. I have the penny (very, well circulated) listed above. Checked VV, CC and while looking thru Wexler's, I **believe **I found the WRPM 029. Please view photos below. If there are any problems please let me know. Thank you for taking the time to view and share your wisdom.

https://doubleddie.com

Mint mark position with date:

Die scratch on tip of Y going north:

Die scratch heading north from the 1 in date to Lincoln's forehead:

Die scratch on Reverse, inside the N heading south to the top of S:

Tried to condense photos. Thank you again and have a great day! Sony

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

since V V only lists 10 RPMs for the date, i presume the 029 is a wexler designation?

i'll leave it to someone else to help as there are just too many minor split serif RPMs to wade through.

with the position of the S to the number 4, that alone should narrow it down significantly and with the many die scratches/gouges, it should be a pretty easy one to verify.

i didn't see a match on V V since wiles would usually return split serif RPMs unattributed/no discovery. some slipped through the system though.

fwiw, i wouldn't consider it heavily circ. looks AU to me.

based on the image you provided, i presume from doubleddie site, looks like a match to me from the scratches/gouges.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find, and a great job of detective work.

That's the way it should be done.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it matches the Wexler's photos... good eye.

----- kj
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent pictures and I believe you have sufficiently identified the coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thank you all for looking at the penny and for your comments! Sony

• Options

ricko
    Tincup
    Buffalotirontrail
    Lancenewmanocc Thank you all for responding and taking the time to add your opinions. I added another penny yesterday afternoon under 1957d heading and would GREATLY appreciate any input as I am trying to continue learning.
    Sony

• Options

@ricko @tincup @BuffaloIronTrail @LanceNewmanOCC Please see above. Thank you again!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file