Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can we pair this Blue Angel Ike dollar with its mate?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 27, 2022 1:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This is a very interesting coin from the Blue Angel Collection.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/1976-eisenhower-dollar-is-weird-and-desired.html

Steve Roach said:
Among the more unusual consignments at Heritage’s auctions held before and during the 2017 Florida United Numismatists convention in Fort Lauderdale was the Blue Angel Collection of error 1976 Bicentennial Washington quarter dollars, Kennedy half dollars and Bicentennial dollars.
[...]
Error coins look weird, and, usually, the odder they look, the rarer and more desirable they are. One of the Eisenhower, Bicentennial dollars in the Blue Angel Collection showcased a reverse indented by a quarter dollar planchet, according to the Professional Coin Grading Service. The error occurred when a planchet intended for a Washington quarter dollar was mixed in with Eisenhower copper-nickel dollar planchets.

This quarter dollar planchet was then struck between the reverse die and the dollar planchet, resulting in an indent in the lower left reverse. The quarter planchet did not stick to the dollar, but the resulting void creates a virtual second moon on the reverse and, explains Heritage, “The borders of the Ike dollar are softly impressed except opposite the quarter indent, since the width of the quarter planchet interfered with the peripheral strike.”

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somewhere, out there, the mated partner is lost.

If this quarter was found, I still couldn't afford the cost.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:
    Somewhere, out there, the mated partner is lost.

If this quarter was found, I still couldn't afford the cost.

What if it was found in a roll or in change? :)

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most likely it was kept or discarded by the mint employee working the press…

• Options

@TurtleCat said:
    Most likely it was kept or discarded by the mint employee working the press…

Either way, I hope it finds its way into collector hands so it can be rejoined with its mate!

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins

My favorite indented Ike Dollar by a blank, is the proof Ike Dollar indented by a foreign copper blank, selling for 40k.

And it is still mated!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2022 6:51PM

@Byers said:
    @Zoins

My favorite indented Ike Dollar by a blank, is the proof Ike Dollar indented by a foreign copper blank, selling for 40k.

And it is still mated!

Great coins Mike!

It would be nice to fit these together!

Here's more info!

https://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/-/a/454-3523.s

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... Those are significant error coins. @Byers.. Amazing that the two were paired in slabs. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indent too small for 25c. My better guess is 5c

@Zoins said:
    This is a very interesting coin from the Blue Angel Collection.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/1976-eisenhower-dollar-is-weird-and-desired.html

Steve Roach said:
    Among the more unusual consignments at Heritage’s auctions held before and during the 2017 Florida United Numismatists convention in Fort Lauderdale was the Blue Angel Collection of error 1976 Bicentennial Washington quarter dollars, Kennedy half dollars and Bicentennial dollars.
    [...]
    Error coins look weird, and, usually, the odder they look, the rarer and more desirable they are. One of the Eisenhower, Bicentennial dollars in the Blue Angel Collection showcased a reverse indented by a quarter dollar planchet, according to the Professional Coin Grading Service. The error occurred when a planchet intended for a Washington quarter dollar was mixed in with Eisenhower copper-nickel dollar planchets.

This quarter dollar planchet was then struck between the reverse die and the dollar planchet, resulting in an indent in the lower left reverse. The quarter planchet did not stick to the dollar, but the resulting void creates a virtual second moon on the reverse and, explains Heritage, “The borders of the Ike dollar are softly impressed except opposite the quarter indent, since the width of the quarter planchet interfered with the peripheral strike.”

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file