Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Stacks Bowers Auction

The Spanish Colonial coins in the Stacks Bowers auction were very strong. Out of about a dozen coins that I was interested in, I only got one and was the underbidder on one. I was blown away on the rest.

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2022 9:15PM

I was seriously blown away on all the ones I was tracking/bidding.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was just the Pat Johnson Collection. The non-PJ coins are yet to come.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

:'(

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    That was just the Pat Johnson Collection. The non-PJ coins are yet to come.

Forgot it... :'(

• Options

Non-PJ group starts off weak. And I thought the Spain was weak as well (but mainland Spain is always weak).

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1732-Mo 4R! Congrats to the consignor!

• Options

@Boosibri said:

And the buyer!

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

Hear, hear!

• Options

@Boosibri said:

Stunning, to me at least, final hammer price.

• Options

The hammer for the 1776 8 reales in PCGS MS63 also went a good bit higher than I had expected.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnnyCache said:
    The hammer for the 1776 8 reales in PCGS MS63 also went a good bit higher than I had expected.

Yeah, just a tad.

• Options
    AngryDragonAngryDragon Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

A few months back I lamented how difficult it has been to find good quality 4 Reales. Apparently someone was listening.

The Stack' Bowers Summer 2022 Global Showcase Auction - Session E - World Coins Part 3 Featuring Latin American, Spanish and Portuguese Properties concluded yesterday in which the largest number of Spanish Colonial 4 Reales I have ever seen were available for bid, Many of these were from the Pat Johnson Collection.

As far as prices go, can the catalogers be so clueless compared what these coin realized? Is there too much money out there chasing too few coins that buyers bid, 2, 3 or more times their estimated values?

The frenzied bidding that I witnessed was beyond anything I have ever experienced.

Yet, I am pleased to report that I did not waste this opportunity and was able to salvage at least one respectable win despite many failed bids (much like many of you have already reported).

I'm curious what you all think about this event to help put things into perspective and also to share your experience of the auction.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2022 2:50PM

@AngryDragon said:
    A few months back I lamented how difficult it has been to find good quality 4 Reales. Apparently someone was listening.

The Stack' Bowers Summer 2022 Global Showcase Auction - Session E - World Coins Part 3 Featuring Latin American, Spanish and Portuguese Properties concluded yesterday in which the largest number of Spanish Colonial 4 Reales I have ever seen were available for bid, Many of these were from the Pat Johnson Collection.

As far as prices go, can the catalogers be so clueless compared what these coin realized? Is there too much money out there chasing too few coins that buyers bid, 2, 3 or more times their estimated values?

The frenzied bidding that I witnessed was beyond anything I have ever experienced.

Yet, I am pleased to report that I did not waste this opportunity and was able to salvage at least one respectable win despite many failed bids (much like many of you have already reported).

I'm curious what you all think about this event to help put things into perspective and also to share your experience of the auction.

Ups and downs depending on if a few new buyers are now bidding and if they will stick around. If they leave and are not replaced then comes lower prices and once new blood arrives again then ups. Cycles...does not take many new buyers to push such rare coins up and the same can be said on the reverse.

In 2 years I have seen some highs and lows and it would take a more stable collecting base to keep up the ups. There are not enough stable collectors in Mexican/Peru/Chile/Etc coins versus say the USA or China.

All this can be good or bad depending on when you buy and sell. Reminds me of the Canadian coin market hot and cold periods and that has never really changed in 2-3 decades that I have been following it.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    edited August 27, 2022 2:53PM

In a way count yourself lucky because if this market had the attention like the USA and Chinese market has you would be collecting mostly the most common coins unless you are very rich. I know I would not be able to buy some of the coins I am able to get if that was the case.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Crowns... The 1734 Crown was the one to buy based on the hammer

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

The crowns from the Salton collection have pedigrees coin back many decades

…..which made me somewhat interested.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

AngryDragon said:

Pat Johnson specialized in 4 Reales and 4 Escudos. He is deceased, so he wasn’t listening. ;)

Of course. And there has been for the last 2+ years.

The better coins were sold in January. But these were still much sought after.

• Options

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

@AngryDragon said:

Ups and downs depending on if a few new buyers are now bidding and if they will stick around. If they leave and are not replaced then comes lower prices and once new blood arrives again then ups. Cycles...does not take many new buyers to push such rare coins up and the same can be said on the reverse.

In 2 years I have seen some highs and lows and it would take a more stable collecting base to keep up the ups. There are not enough stable collectors in Mexican/Peru/Chile/Etc coins versus say the USA or China.

All this can be good or bad depending on when you buy and sell. Reminds me of the Canadian coin market hot and cold periods and that has never really changed in 2-3 decades that I have been following it.

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

@AngryDragon said:

This is just the felling I get after 2 years if I am wrong please by all means correct me or educate me. I tried answering based on my limited knowledge.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    Non-PJ group starts off weak. And I thought the Spain was weak as well (but mainland Spain is always weak).

I’m a buyer of gem Spain

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2022 5:25PM

@bidask

The crowns you won look good. There is a reasonable MS surviving pop for the 1687. The 1696 is a little trickier. As part of the so-called great recoinage of 1696, the crown... depending on the variety... is available up to choice AU and MS. It really is not as easy to find in MS as most collectors believe. I believe the 1695 and 1700 both have a higher MS surviving pop

edited to add...

The 1734 in this auction is likely among the finest known for the date

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@bidask said:

@pruebas said:

I’m a buyer of gem Spain

Don't you think prices were on the weak side?
    The Spanish collection (it was auctioned at Stacks right after the Pat Johnson Collection) had some great coins though. Including some cool patterns which weren't expensive at all.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up one more lot in the online auction today.

• Options
    OboneObone Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Won this lot of French Medals for what I think was a great deal, mostly revolutionary/napoleonic types.

• Options
    EuclidEuclid Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I was disappointed when the Salton coins I liked went way past where I was comfortable bidding. Fortunately I won two consolation prizes yesterday and I'm really excited for them to get here.

• Options
    edited August 31, 2022 2:17PM

I thought the Bolivian 8E-size gold proc sold cheaply (not to me). This was a Salton coin with a great pedigree.

If the lots were in a different order, I would have bid stronger.

Link

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Wow that is an impressive design.

• Options

Where is the best to research foreign coins Please?

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

@rsei0120 said:
    Where is the best to research foreign coins Please?

Depends on the coin. Some reference books are better than others. That goes for web-sites too.