Home Sports Talk
Options

meanwhile, back at Fenway Park, the listless Red Sox continue to sink

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now 16 games out of first place in their Division and 7 games back in the WC chase, with 38 games to play. It is beyond clear that the Red Sox have choked and the season is lost. Despite having the bases loaded last night in a 2-2 game against Toronto, how ironic that JBJ catches the fly ball to end the inning. The dagger falls in the top of the 10th, and yet another one run loss at home I might add. The team has to face the scoreboard in left field, showing the entire Al East standings, it has to be painful for a professional athlete to see the number 16 and last place, with no hope to improve to become competitive, and it appears the upcoming schedule could easily find that number to be into the 20s back.

There is no spark in the team, who once prided themselves as an offensive powerhouse, who now appear to just be going through the motions until mercifully the season ends. Management appears to be navigating a rudderless ship, with no apparent effort to improve the team with meaningless trades and never-ending hyperbole and metaphors from Cora. He talks a lot and uses all the heart-warming comments, but I think he needs to go, along with Bloom. When the dust settles in the 2022 season, and the tarp fills with the predictable snow that comes with Winter, those who write and analyze such things will look back and evaluate the ineptitudes and failures of the season. The sabermetrics will fly, but will do nothing for the future team, numbers don't play the game, nor guarantee future performance, merely analyze what has been.

I'm done posting about the team this year. No doubt a relief for a couple of viewers, but I call it like I see it, and I've seen enough. It isn't pleasant to write about the obvious, we all want our individual teams to play well and be competitive, but all I see is mega millionaires mailing it in. The team needs a Kevin Millar to shake things up. I'll certainly miss Eck in the booth, his comments were oftentimes the best part of the game.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not surprised at all Al, they got nothing to play for and they are too spoiled to even bother playing for Pride.

I hope they lose every game the rest of the way

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭✭

OK, I give in, management from top to bottom needs to go !
    Training and conditioning staffs did not do their jobs this year to keep the players healthy.
    Players need to stop worrying about how much money they are going to make next year and earn present years salary!
    I just watched parts of last nights game and was disgusted with what I saw,
    See you next year, God willing,

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2022 7:22AM

Man, you Boston fans are tough but unforgiving. Sure, the Red Sox might suck this season but it isn't the end of the world. Chalk it up to a season lost and join the majority of other MLB fans in the chant to "Wait till next year!!" After those 38 games, guess what?? You'll be tied for first place again.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    Man, you Boston fans are tough but unforgiving. Sure, the Red Sox might suck this season but it isn't the end of the world. Chalk it up to a season lost and join the majority of other MLB fans in the chant to "Wait till next year!!" After those 38 games, guess what?? You'll be tied for first place again.

Well I've said it before and I will say it again that I'm very satisfied with their success post 2004, and will root for them every year but once it gets to a point where they are completely out of it I would prefer them getting embarrassed and look like crap, maybe it will light a fire under management and the guys who care to play harder next year

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2022 10:31AM

I watched part of yesterday's game against the Rays. Pathetic! It's like the 1950s when they had a few hitters, but a pitching staff that could only throw fire on the flames. These guys are waiting for the season to end so that they can do some more interesting things than playing baseball.

And yes, Red Sox fans are spoiled. Try being a "phutile Phillies phan." Having a season above .500 is like winning the World Series.

And then you have the Rays, who will soon be run out of Tampa/St Petersburg. Let's see if the management can continue to put more good teams on the field in their new city in front more fans and, more importantly, civil leaders, who care. The mayors of Tampa and St, Petersburg could care less if there is team in their city.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?