Home U.S. Coin Forum

NewP from Northeast Numismatics - 1881 Indian PR66 BN - new photo

rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 9, 2022 5:36PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have mainly been purchasing Seated 25c to upgrade and compete my set during the past four years, so purchases of other coins have been few and far between. I did buy a couple of Capped Bust H10c a few months back, but I think my last Indian cent purchase was like 8 or 9 years ago. I could not resist this one when it popped up on Northeast's site this afternoon. Apologies if anyone found it "ON HOLD" and felt disappointed. Graded PR66 BN, it has some additional colors besides brown. Ex. Larry Shapiro Larry Shepherd (put those reading glasses back on, rhedden). No CAC bean is perhaps concerning to some people, but just look at the coin for once. No doubt it's the best looking proof Indian I have out of a handful of others. As a BN graded coin, I'm sure the colors aren't so vibrant from every angle, but it takes a really nice cent to get a 66 BN grade out of PCGS, and I know several people here like them this way. Hope you enjoyed seeing it.

Comments

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw that when it was listed today. It's absolutely beautiful!! When I saw it I even called my wife into the room to see it. Congrats on the purchase.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning proof!

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it, truly a stunner................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those violets and blues are amazing.

You were wise to get it, while it was still available.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see a non TrueView image of the coin.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can shoot some macro lens photos once I get it - but I am terrible at photographing toned proofs.

• BenVBenV Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

That's a spectacular coin! As a collector of colorful proof IHCs myself, it's one to be proud of.

• semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simply stunning!

• hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a beautiful coin. I have 2 Lincoln’s that have the same toning. My dealer says that someone dipped a MS coin in MS70 and this is the effect you get. Either way I liked it and the TPG seem to have to no concerns about Alterered color, I don’t either

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2022 5:28AM

It's a beautiful looking coin. Congrats on picking it up!

Regarding the provenance, you mentioned Larry Shapiro, but did you mean Larry Shepherd?

When I first saw it, my thought was that it looked like a Larry Shepherd coin and PCGS Cert Verification indicates that it's pedigreed to the Larry Shepherd Collection.

If you are interested in CAC, it may be worth sending in as Larry Shepherd does not appear to be a CAC submitter so it may not have been reviewed by JA yet.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:
    I saw that when it was listed today. It's absolutely beautiful!! When I saw it I even called my wife into the room to see it. Congrats on the purchase.

I'm curious what your wife's reaction was :)

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@MWallace said:

She loved it.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rhedden.... I do not recall seeing an IHC like that before. I know it is a TruView picture, so I will be curious to know if it looks like that in hand. It just does not look natural to me. Cheers, RickO

• Southside7Southside7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭

Congratulations on a nice acquisition!

I have seen this coin and although, of course, it does not have the pumped-up neon glamor-glow of the PCGS image it is a stunningly beautiful and technically nice numismatic treasure. Love the coin!

I would really love to see an Accurate View Video made of this superb gem. Not only would it accurately represent this beauty but it would expose the technical cleanliness of the coin. Above all else the (true) contrast and radiance would just pop with the dynamic imaging!

It is a good thing I did not see this coin at NN before you did or you would not own it. ;)

Again, congrats!

@Zoins said:
    It's a beautiful looking coin. Congrats on picking it up!

Regarding the provenance, you mentioned Larry Shapiro, but did you mean Larry Shepherd?

When I first saw it, my thought was that it looked like a Larry Shepherd coin and PCGS Cert Verification indicates that it's pedigreed to the Larry Shepherd Collection.

If you are interested in CAC, it may be worth sending in as Larry Shepherd does not appear to be a CAC submitter so it may not have been reviewed by JA yet.

Wow, good catch! You are absolutely right about Larry Shepherd. I associate Larry Shapiro with the nice toned proofs he was selling years ago, and I was reading way too quickly. I'll make the correction.

Since I don't have the coin yet, pics/videos will have to wait. There are some non-True View images in the 2019 Heritage auction listing, which I have cropped and reproduced here for discussion purposes. Hopefully the folks at Heritage won't mind, but "images copyright Heritage." The coin brought $2400 on 1/10/2019 in a different holder with the Larry Shepherd pedigree on it.

edited August 25, 2022 8:29AM

For those interested, here are Larry Shepherd's current proof Indian cents in his registry set. Wow, what a set! He sure has been busy with that jar of MS70!! :D

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/half-cents/indian-cents-specialty-sets/indian-cents-basic-set-proof-1864-1909/imagegallery/226138

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@MWallace said:

Was it the same when you were just showing her a coin and after you bought it ?

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof IHC really showcases the complete coin design. Love it. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭

@hfjacinto said:
    It’s a beautiful coin. I have 2 Lincoln’s that have the same toning. My dealer says that someone dipped a MS coin in MS70 and this is the effect you get. Either way I liked it and the TPG seem to have to no concerns about Alterered color, I don’t either

I was wondering when someone would mention MS70

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic Proof IHC. Amazing coin!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous proof cent, and I love the delicate toning pull-away below the date. No CAC....Who cares.

I spent a little time shooting new images of this coin with a flat panel (lightbox) that I recently acquired. Toned proofs have always vexed me as far as photography goes, but this one turned out decent by my standards. The coin has deep, electric mirrors, which are difficult to capture photographically. It could have had flat, lifeless mirrors and received a grade of PR64. Regardless of what you think of my photo skills, I'm really pleased with this purchase overall!

• scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome coin! I love those electric toned Indian proofs. I have a blue PR66 similar to yours, mine is not quite as nice.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic proof Indian! Incredible color.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file