Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

help with 1956 topps mickey mantle

I have actually two old tops that have similar issues one is the coveted 1956 topps

i know for a fact it came in the pack like that back in 1956 when gramps bought it, If you look close you can see the wrinkles where it had been glued to the card stock
however topps was rather notorious back in that period for craptastic glue -

question is what does that do to the value as it is not technically an error and i mean if it actually did something like double the value you would see fools peeling cards or counterfeiting, on the other hand it is a factory defect and thus rarer than your average card

i am just trying to figure out whether it is worth the rather considerable expense of slabbing it

Comments

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Nice Mickey!

Could be that Gramps purchased it in a pack and like a lot of people, glued them into an album so he could wax poetically while flipping pages of his favorite team.

If you are subbing to PSA, I suspect you are doing so to validate the card is authentic as I don't see them giving this card an actual grade.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

Looks trimmed to me.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@swish54 said:
    Looks trimmed to me.

Was just going to write that. Definitely trimmed.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

reprint IMO

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't speak to the authenticity of the card, but for a first post, great knowledge of veteran collector jargon - trimmed, wrinkles, card stock, factory defect and slabbing.

I suspect you may know the answer to your own question.

Cheers.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Fake and altered...

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭

Looks like it a picture clipped from a book or magazine glued to card stock, could be wrong but it does not look like the 56 topps cards Ive handled.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would probably hold off on grading it - PSA usually does not handle cards with t/b centering of 5/5. 😉

• Options

No.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dudeerssmithers said:

i know for a fact it came in the pack like that back in 1956 when gramps bought it, If you look close you can see the wrinkles where it had been glued to the card stock
    however topps was rather notorious back in that period for craptastic glue -

I'm so confused. Where in the process did Topps use glue?