Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Registry award winners

Does anyone know when this year's set of award winners will be announced/added to the registry?

Comments

• JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2022 10:38AM

The Official Announcement will most likely come shortly after the 2022 icons appear with #1 Sets...
    Which is a great reason to log in at least once a day to see if it has happened

I doubt it will be any earlier - I'd bet the phone lines are buzzing with the same question

PCGS will prolly not delay any longer than necessary to try to stop the calls for the same question

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

september 29 long beach show

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2022 5:45AM
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2022 1:01PM
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aren't the winners the number one set? Or is it not as simplistic as that?

peacockcoins

edited September 14, 2022 9:07AM

@braddick said:

Not quite that simple...and nowhere near simplistic

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/awards

edited September 14, 2022 10:09AM

The awards are posted.

@JonJet said:

@braddick said:

Not quite that simple...and nowhere near simplistic

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/awards

• Oh yeah!! :)

Collecting world gold, German State silver Marks and other things of interest

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, my sets are showing the awards for 2022.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started multiple Registry Sets in 2022.

Do I get an award? :)

@SanctionII said:
    I started multiple Registry Sets in 2022.

Do I get an award? :)

Sure, why not? This is a " You started a US Coin set award" :)

I think PCGS is just buried with bulk and regular coin grading orders, inventory and supply issues, employee staffing, and are trying to get these awards ready for the show in Long Beach for those who plan to go.

At some point there will be a forum post of all the major 2022 awards.

I've already requested the 26 Certificates I earned for 2022

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JonJet said:

As have I.
    I’ll be getting 10 this year.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

@WAYNEAS said:

@JonJet said:

As have I.
    I’ll be getting 10 this year.
    Wayne

I got (5) for 2020
    In 2021 I got (24) more
    Now with the new 2022's giving (26) I'll have a total of 55 certificates

• Yeah, I was notified I was getting 11 major awards this year (gold level, plaques in the past).

When I replied to the email as I have in the past with instructions on how I want the sets referenced on the website as well as whether I want the User Name (Cannonball!) or my name on the plaques, I was informed that:

"...Also, while we will not be issuing plaques this year, we will still be honoring our award winners, just in a different fashion..."

So I followed up with the following question and commentary:

"...Okay - So - how WILL the winners be awarded / rewarded?

The reason I ask is there is that goofy points / online medal rating system PCGS has going. When it was rolled out, there was talk of awards, cash prizes or the equivalent, etc - and NOTHING EVER HAPPENED.

I still have my screenshot where I was #1, on top of the pile for a while. I think I've been bumped down to somewhere in the 90s or some such; it lost its appeal and interest quickly when I figured out it was just "hamster in a wheel" type click bait. ..."

So yeah, I'm wondering what "honoring our award winners in a different fashion" REALLY means, especially when PCGS touts how many active Registry Sets and winners there are. I'm wondering if they are not liking the expense of the plaques, as well as the expense of shipping them, so a strategic (translation: monetary) decision may have been made to cancel plaques, blame it on supply chain issues (how convenient), and "come to California to Long Beach for lunch".

Yeah, right, hard NO for me folks. The only thing I've lost in California is my outstanding submissions that I mailed them in March.

I was told:

"...In regards to how we will be rewarding members, we ask that you stay tuned as I have been asked not to disclose any information at this time..."

We will see if PCGS does better with this than has been done with their USELESS click bait medal program.

The fact that winners have been openly announced with no further indication of what the award / "honoring of Award winners" is going to be sends a message that there is a strong probability that the awards are being downgraded or possibly even relegated to an online "attaboy" even as submission costs have increased and there are more people grading coins and participating in the Set Registry. PCGS ain't hurting for money folks.

I guess my 40 plaques since 2015 will have to do. We will see what (if anything further than an online announcement( PCGS does this year for Award Winners who will not be in attendance at Long Beach. Call me a cynic, but the track record with PCGS meeting their own deadlines is PATHETIC.

I also sent this commentary:

"...It is frankly discouraging when PCGS states deadlines that collectors have to meet for submissions for their Registry Sets and in the same press release with said deadline for collectors PCGS states that winners will be announced by the first week of August and weeks go by with DEAD SILENCE.

The grading turnaround times are dismal and abysmal, I've got several groups of coins that have been parked (officialy logged in) at PCGS since April 9th. I mailed them in March. I sent a cashiers check with those coins; that money has been out of my account for 4+ (correction - it is now approaching 6) months...."

Well, of the 9 orders I sent them (nearly 350 coins), 4 have made it back to me, one is en route; the other 4 are still in Grading. PCGS can do turnaround times in"business days" all they want; the real world moves and operates EVERY day, and that $10K+ that is out of my account could have been making me interest instead of doing NOTHING for 6 months.

So yeah, I'm not too happy or impressed with PCGS here lately.