Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have not seen this “certified” coin holder before

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone seen these before?

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

With no business name present, the only clue is, who is "G.A."?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I have one of those from 20 years ago or so. I thought mine had a company name on it though. I'll search.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool!
    Almost similar to the old school PCI
    holders?
    B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    justmenutty72justmenutty72 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

That one’s new to me. Pretty cool 👍👍👍

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Almost similar to the old school PCI holders?

Not even close.

There are a couple of companies that used this kind of large plastic sleeve. Some have names, some don't.

Clue to the age is the "now being endorsed" for the ANA grading standards. What year was the 1st edition?

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet that plastic sleeve is made out of PVC. Suggest that you keep it in a cool climate-controlled area of your house.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't seen that specific example, but it is very similar to the Federal Certification Service holder and to a lesser degree the Independent Numismatic Laboratory holder. There are examples posted in the Rare Plastic for the Weekend thread.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have on Instagram and a FB commem page.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, mine was different company in same type holder, unless it is the same company. Hmmmm the label used to list the coin year is exactly the same type and the label used to date the grading and list the Grader and Grade is exactly the same. I would be willing to think these are the same companies. What do you feel?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

Yes looks very similar! Thanks,

• Options

Thanks all! Mine is graded 64 but it isn't.. It is however 7 tail feathers rev of 79 though..

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanSki said:

Very nice. What did it grade in the old holder?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a new one to me... When I went to shows in the PNW, strange 'slabs' or 'containers' would show up occasionally. Do not recall seeing that one. Perhaps @CaptHenway recalls this group. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know that one. Definitely not ANACS.

The ANA Grading guide was published in 1977.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2022 7:49AM

It's funny how something like liking a holder can be so subjective.
    I really like some early proto-slabs. Some even have features I wish the newer holders had.
    But some proto-slabs don't do much for me. I'm not a huge fan of this one. It's just a little too awkward--too long and narrow, too much empty space. Cut and paste label, different and incongruous materials.
    Interesting. But not for me.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they are going to the trouble of imaging the coin and doing a back and front grade they are going to be responsible and accurate.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

never seen one until now, cool looking slab

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    With no business name present, the only clue is, who is "G.A."?

I suppose omitting all contact info is an easy way to get out of honoring a guarantee.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Sorry, mine was different company in same type holder, unless it is the same company. Hmmmm the label used to list the coin year is exactly the same type and the label used to date the grading and list the Grader and Grade is exactly the same. I would be willing to think these are the same companies. What do you feel?
    Jim

Both companies bought the same typewriter.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

GA - Gary Adkins?
    DH - Well, David Hall?
    The first names that came to mind with those initials. ;)

• Options

The coin is about a 61 + shot 62 so a bit over graded in my book.

• Options

I was 1/2 point off…a 64 is right out!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks quite similar to what I found a few weeks ago?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UpGrayedd said:
    I haven't seen that specific example, but it is very similar to the Federal Certification Service holder and to a lesser degree the Independent Numismatic Laboratory holder. There are examples posted in the Rare Plastic for the Weekend thread.

Yeah, closest thing I have in size and shape is an INL holder:

@thebigeng - do you own it or is it listed for sale somewhere? Wouldn't mind adding to my collection.

Tim

• Options

@pointfivezero I removed the coin from the holder and had it graded, mostly for educational purposes. I still have the holder and or course the coin. I own it and would sell both. Thanks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file