Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another turnaround time question...

SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 20, 2022 2:27PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have a been a waiting to see my submission make it to the grading room for the last two and a half months.
Should I be optimistic that it won't take more than three months or from your experiences should I figure there's still some wait time to look forward to.
It's a platinum voucher submission. Moderns.
TYIA

Comments

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I wouldn't be optimistic.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neither would I

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting ready to send in my 8 vouchers for this year soon, and another small submission. Crossing my fingers to get 'em back by Xmas, 1 coin will be a gift. But we'll see, may be belated.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stawick said:
    I'm getting ready to send in my 8 vouchers for this year soon, and another small submission. Crossing my fingers to get 'em back by Xmas, 1 coin will be a gift. But we'll see, may be belated.

At least the estimated time has come down to 50 business days versus prior 70/75 on the regular / economy. Hopefully it does not change for the worse. I submitted two at the ANA but have no time need for them.

https://www.pcgs.com/services

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stawick said:

Gonna be close! I would submit tomorrow if you want them by Christmas. Mine has been in grading stage for over 2 months now🙄

• Options

My regular submissions have been taking at least 5 months with another month for TVs. Walkthroughs are about a month.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

My error submission has been stuck in grading since 6/1. However, I’ve had multiple modern submissions returned inside two weeks this summer. Your mileage may vary!

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@stawick said:

Gonna be close! I would submit tomorrow if you want them by Christmas. Mine has been in grading stage for over 2 months now🙄

Agreed. I have a feeling I'm gonna have to give them a card, the US Mint box, a mea culpa, and say "its coming". But they (my sis) knows the drill - same gift every year. I'll take 'em to dinner or something.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@J2035 said:
    My error submission has been stuck in grading since 6/1. However, I’ve had multiple modern submissions returned inside two weeks this summer. Your mileage may vary!

Is that what I think it is?

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tell all the customers that come in wanting something submitted, it might be back by christmas, unless they pay the express, which usually they wont do. Pretty much eliminates customers submissions.

• Options

@bignubnumismatics1 said:
    My regular submissions have been taking at least 5 months with another month for TVs. Walkthroughs are about a month.

6 Months!!!
    Well that's gonna take the fun out of submitting for me.

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭

I got an US economy order back this week. It was there since 4/1. Over 4 1/2 months, not cool.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun out of submitting has been missing for me, for a while now. Nonetheless, I will continue to do it with a purpose and no longer even look to see where in the line it is at. Yeah, the fun is long gone.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manorcourtman said:
    I got an US economy order back this week. It was there since 4/1. Over 4 1/2 months, not cool.

Modern or an older coin? I've had pretty good luck with moderns but not so much with older Morgan's and the like...

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW, if the low wage rate for graders is true as previously posted and I do not know that it is, plenty have speculated but none have stated true or false for a fact., and the grading companies are short on help, why not pay a decent wage and get more graders and speed up the process. I've ran and owned businesses my whole life and if there is a need then fill it. Don't really get it.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken when the government has been paying people not to work, it's hard to get people to work again. The labor participation rate is very low right now...

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    BTW, if the low wage rate for graders is true as previously posted and I do not know that it is, plenty have speculated but none have stated true or false for a fact., and the grading companies are short on help, why not pay a decent wage and get more graders and speed up the process. I've ran and owned businesses my whole life and if there is a need then fill it. Don't really get it.
    Jim

It is highly (very very highly) likely those figures were fabricated out of thin air and have nothing to do with the current wages of graders.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options

@Swampboy said:

6 Months!!!
    Well that's gonna take the fun out of submitting for me.

I’ve switched to NGC for my , let’s beat the chase, crap coins that will get a hopeful grade bump. They are around a month turnaround time. Wouldn’t want any of them in my PC except on rare occasions and they bring much less, but I get them back in time.

• Options

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

Not necessarily low wages. When I talked to the NGC recruiter a couple months ago, they were starting at 44k (Not worth much in Sarasota, lol). Their turnover rate is high just because of the nature of things, but they pay well if you stay.

Not entirely sure about PCGS, but I’d assume they are similar just a bit more to start because of California.

Don’t get me wrong, 40-50k a year is excellent, but considering you can make a lot more money submitting coins or just working at auction houses, not many skilled people want to work at TPGs except for resume building and the experience.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2022 6:40PM

Unless you are going to shell out some big bucks for grading at a major show, it is taking a long time to grade coins while they are teleworking.

My question would be: if I submitted and was received an order BEFORE my membership expired, would it still be processed?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

Not necessarily low wages. When I talked to the NGC recruiter a couple months ago, they were starting at 44k (Not worth much in Sarasota, lol). Their turnover rate is high just because of the nature of things, but they pay well if you stay.

Not entirely sure about PCGS, but I’d assume they are similar just a bit more to start because of California.

Don’t get me wrong, 40-50k a year is excellent, but considering you can make a lot more money submitting coins or just working at auction houses, not many skilled people want to work at TPGs except for resume building and the experience.

In my opinion I don't think posting salary of our host's competitor is appropriate 🙄

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2022 3:54PM

Well I'm done. Paying top dollar for a worthwhile service that FAR exceeds the published ESTIMATED turn around times. I am seriously asking myself why I keep subjecting myself to this unaccountable, broken business model. The only action taken seems to be overwhelmed call-back queues. My existing
    pending submission will likely be my last. There seems to be no accountability or concern.

(l8-)>>

• Options

No doubt it is frustrating. I am waiting on my submission received by our host on 6/11/22.

Still in grading stage🙄

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last Economy submission was in to grading 5/17. Using the OLD 70 business day model - it should have been done last week - BUT - its a variety attribution submission...your guess is as good as mine now as there is no logic to the grading system. So I will just keep hitting the refresh button this week, and next and next....

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still waiting on an econ received 4/15. Don't get your hopes up.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

@edgar said:
    Well I'm done. Paying top dollar for a worthwhile service that FAR exceeds the published ESTIMATED turn around times. I am seriously asking myself why I keep subjecting myself to this unaccountable, broken business model. The only action taken seems to be overwhelmed call-back queues. My existing
    pending submission will likely be my last. There seems to be no accountability or concern.

Gee I'm thinking along those lines as well.
    I have a few months to decide if I'm renewing or not.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just renewed my membership today @ $69/year with no submissions. There’s a show in San Diego next week. Lunch is probably worth $25 plus free admission to all the Long Beach shows. I’ll get my $69’s worth. I’ll start submitting coins when the turn around time is shorter.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a 6/15 reg (voucher) sub, 6/15 Econ, 3 coin express, and 2 different raw “grade and sell” consignments at GC. Someday, (likely not soon) I’ll have a lot of grades to complain about.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Economy of mine received 5/27....should be any month now!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

15 medals submitted in April, still grading, not even to QA yet.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

My regular sub that arrived on 6/2 just went to encapsulation the other day. Hoping to see grades any time now.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

Since I just posted earlier this AM i thought I'd mention my 6/15 reg/voucher sub just went into encapsulation.

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been submitting coins since the summer of 1986 and my last submission of world coins will be at 4 months this week. This is the longest I've ever waited since PCGS began operations and David Hall was remarking how they were swamped with a 40000 coin backlog and the wait on regular service was approaching 3 months.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options

@clarkbar04 said:
    Since I just posted earlier this AM i thought I'd mention my 6/15 reg/voucher sub just went into encapsulation.

As did mine rec'd 6/6...
    also shows 'being imaged'
    Cool

• Options

@Swampboy said:

@clarkbar04 said:

As did mine rec'd 6/6...
    also shows 'being imaged'
    Cool

Coins are now imaged after grading.
    My express has been in this step since Monday so maybe a bit backed up at the imaging department, but at least it doesn’t say “grading” anymore.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2022 10:19PM

One would think there would be some sort of linear process, like first in, first out. From what people are saying it is almost like random. Anyway, the linked page (2/3 down) shows the average days from last weeks submissions .... how many business days a month?

https://pcgs.com/services

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an econ in grading since February. Granted it is darkside, but still.....

Tom

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@J2035 said:

6/1?

1961?

:)

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2022 8:11AM

delete please
    :)

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do voucher submissions take longer? They’re prepaid so perhaps they have the lowest priority.

• Options
    edited September 1, 2022 11:05AM

@skier07 said:
    Do voucher submissions take longer? They’re prepaid so perhaps they have the lowest priority.

I just don't think so.
    I think the delay I've had and others are experiencing is just the result of demand and supply (of employees) and I think we're all pulling for things to turn around as time passes here in the next months to year.

I'll say my voucher from last winter was lightening fast turnaround (maybe hyperbole there . I'll check and post back here)

O.K.
    Online submission form complete 12/18 - shipped 1/31
    Cue Stevie Wonder "I wish those days would come back again..." :)

• Options

Voucher is treated as a regular submission.

• Options

@clarkbar04 said:

Not fair! Mine were received on 6/14 and still in Grading stage🙄

• Options
    uscoinguyuscoinguy Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

I dropped off my economy submission at the Central States Show on 4/28. PCGS logged it in on 5/4. So now it has been 4 months with no movement. My membership came up for renewal on 8/9. I could not justify renewing at this time.

Always trying to learn more
  • Options

@uscoinguy said:
    I dropped off my economy submission at the Central States Show on 4/28. PCGS logged it in on 5/4. So now it has been 4 months with no movement. My membership came up for renewal on 8/9. I could not justify renewing at this time.

That's rough @uscoinguy

I became a PCGS member 16 years ago on Labor Day Weekend.
    That same weekend I found this firum.
    My PCGS profile shows I'm a five year member due to a records snafu at the mother ship.
    The Forum continues to be fun.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file