Home U.S. Coin Forum

GTG: 1879-S Morgan Dollar

jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alright everybody, it's time for another GTG. Again, it's a Morgan Dollar, common date, but uncommon eye appeal. Let's see what you all think she graded.

Comments

• spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's tough to tell some of the markings from toning. I'd guess with high au or lower ms...

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

67+

• dollarfandollarfan Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

I would guess 66+ she is a beauty for sure!

• justindanjustindan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭

66+

• Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

A solid MS65

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will guess MS65 due to the obverse field scratches.... The black to brown tarnish is ugly. Cheers, RickO

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trade $'s

66> @spyglassdesign said:

It's tough to tell some of the markings from toning. I'd guess with high au or lower ms...

Please don’t spend money you care about on ungraded coins.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS66.

Coin Photographer.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks 66 or a little better but i'll guess details.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

66, maybe 66+ or 66 CAC.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

65+

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first impression was 67

Mr_Spud

• anablepanablep Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

65+

Nice coin!

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

@MFeld said:

Thanks. I needed a snide comment this morning.

@spyglassdesign said:

@MFeld said:

I wasn’t being snide. Your various posts, containing questions and comments about coins, indicate that you’re non-expert in grading and the intricacies of the rare coin market. All of us have been there at different times and many of us still are. Non-experts buying ungraded coins for hundreds of dollars is usually a losing proposition - often, significantly so.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2022 9:07AM

MS 65 and a nice one (could be a better grade too)

edited August 20, 2022 9:09AM

@MFeld said:

@spyglassdesign said:

@MFeld said:

I wasn’t being snide. Your various posts, containing questions and comments about coins, indicate that you’re non-expert in grading and the intricacies of the rare coin market. All of us have been there at different times and many of us still are. Non-experts buying ungraded coins for hundreds of dollars is usually a losing proposition - often, significantly so.

So what does that have to do with my guess here? I didn't ask your opinion on my grading skills. I was having fun jumping in on a tough coin for me due to its toning and you come in here and act like an ass about my abilities. I knew I was probably going to be off as I jumped in first before anyone else, but I took a stab at it anyways. I often will wait to see what others say them study the coin to see why they made those guesses, but this time I took a chance.

After seeing others guesses and looking closer guess what what? I'M Learning! Or would you rather I just keep my mouth shut and not take risks or learn?

Try not to be such a spoil sport next time?

I almost went with ms65 but the toning messed with my brain. Still learning the difference between toning markings and actual markings 👍

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS66, like the experts said

Vplite99
  • coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS65+ or 66

• dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

I also think 66. The toning on the lower part of the reverse looks like boiled red cabbage. I like it, though.

Young Numismatist

• al410al410 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭

I am not a fan of that toning but that coin is a beauty in my eyes, 66+
    Having said that, toning of that nature always throws me off so If I was buying it raw I would not go over 65 money
    Al

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

When in doubt, don't.
  • SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

66+

But if it was my coin, they BB it for all the hairlines on the obverse.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SurfinxHI said:
    66+

But if it was my coin, they BB it for all the hairlines on the obverse.

You're not the first to notice the "hairlines" on the obverse. However, if it was your coin, they would not body bag it, as they are raised. They are die polish lines. Some people don't like them and find them distracting. But, I like them and actually collect some examples with very heavy die polish. Once you learn to distinguish die polish from hairlines, you'll be able to tell very quickly.

@dunkleosteus430 said:
    I also think 66. The toning on the lower part of the reverse looks like boiled red cabbage. I like it, though.

It's funny, the color in the image is darker than it appears in hand. In hand it glows very well, but the lighting was not able to reflect directly into the camera so it appears darker in the static image. But it does have that cabbage color to it.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will just start with the why did I bother to open the thread? And I will concede that I was pleasantly surprised... not just with the coin because... after all it is an 1879-s and these were among the real quality dates for the entire series. It truly is a very nice image that captures all the needs to be captured.

Having written what I just did, there still is this issue I have in assigning a high grade to a coin based on an image instead of seeing the coin in hand. I am seeing the slightest evidence (on the obverse) of roller marks and perhaps I am wrong and just misreading die polish lines... but there really is more here than die polish.

In any event, I like the coin, the image and while there is a surviving population in a high grade... this one warrants a high grade. But how high? I am thinking 66 to 66+ depending on when it was graded. Now... if this were my coin and I submitted this and the grade was 64 or possibly lower... I would not be happy

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would give it a 65+

• scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have to agree with the 66+ crowd. Great Morgan!

• Grading toned by images, smh

Anyway…MS-65, lol

@coinkat said:
    I will just start with the why did I bother to open the thread? And I will concede that I was pleasantly surprised... not just with the coin because... after all it is an 1879-s and these were among the real quality dates for the entire series. It truly is a very nice image that captures all the needs to be captured.

Having written what I just did, there still is this issue I have in assigning a high grade to a coin based on an image instead of seeing the coin in hand. I am seeing the slightest evidence (on the obverse) of roller marks and perhaps I am wrong and just misreading die polish lines... but there really is more here than die polish.

In any event, I like the coin, the image and while there is a surviving population in a high grade... this one warrants a high grade. But how high? I am thinking 66 to 66+ depending on when it was graded. Now... if this were my coin and I submitted this and the grade was 64 or possibly lower... I would not be happy

Very nice feedback. I appreciate that. I agree it can be very difficult to assign a high grade to a static image. It would be nice if there was a way to allow a short video without having to upload the video somewhere else and then embed a link to it here. I have a feeling that hopefully it won't be too long before that is allowed here. The future is definitely video, even eBay has started to add that feature to their listings.

@jtlee321 said:

@dunkleosteus430 said:

It's funny, the color in the image is darker than it appears in hand. In hand it glows very well, but the lighting was not able to reflect directly into the camera so it appears darker in the static image. But it does have that cabbage color to it.

Photographing coins is really tough to do well... I've learned that from experience!

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!
    In the 66+ crowd here.

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going MS 65 +. Because these are common and come beautiful the standard is set high. The activity on the neck gets the grading ding.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • d9lowed9lowe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I will guess MS65 due to the obverse field scratches.... The black to brown tarnish is ugly. Cheers, RickO

Of course it is :D

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you look at the images in photo grade and trust me there are many you will see they’re a lot of 67 pluses that match your coin. She is due for an upgrade.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it would get a plus grade if in a new holder. I would keep it in the old holder thou

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

Late to this thread, but I was going to guess at least 66, that coin looks nice, albeit a common date, but excellent eye appeal IMO.

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    If you look at the images in photo grade and trust me there are many you will see they’re a lot of 67 pluses that match your coin. She is due for an upgrade.

that is the crux with chasing the gold. a gold simply means upgrade but that doesn't specify any more than just 1 grade.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Late to the party but I was going to say it looks a lot like my 66 CAC. So... I just did.

It's a beauty, I like it a lot.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinscratch said:

that is the crux with chasing the gold. a gold simply means upgrade but that doesn't specify any more than just 1 grade.

While that’s true, almost every gold-stickered coin I’ve seen has sold for a price exceeding that of just 1 grade higher.

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinscratch said:

Hey Lance, a few years ago before CAC became inundated with submissions, if you asked for feedback on coins that didn't pass, you got a note to call John to discuss your coins with you. I had the opportunity to talk to John and one of the questions I asked him was what it took to make gold. He told me that a coin has to essentially be under graded by at least 1.9 grade points. So a coin that is graded MS-64 would have to look like a MS-65.9 or better to receive the gold CAC sticker. Which is why there are coins that grade MS-64, receive a green CAC sticker and are then upgraded to a 65 and can still get a green sticker. In there eye's that original 64 looked more like a 65 B coin and not a 65A+ or above. Their opinion obviously does not carry a guarantee that the TPG's won't grade accordingly. But if it did upgrade to a 66, there's still a very good chance of the coin making green again.

This is all semantics because I have no plans on cracking this coin out. I'd much rather have this coin in the old holder with a gold CAC sticker or even a green than in a newer holder. I do appreciate everyones feedback. So thank you all for your participation.

@jtlee321 same here. I've come to the same conclusion regarding keeping the ogh and possibly getting a sticker in the future when they reopen. This one particular piece is for my edification and comparison purposes though, not for sale.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess was 65, indeed a solid coin with a shot at 66 today. I love the holder. I’d eat that coin up if offered. B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file