Home Precious Metals

Selling boxes of silver eagles

streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a friend who asked me my opinion on selling a few boxes of silver eagles. I'd be interested in everyone's opinion as to his best options. Thank you

Have a nice day
Tagged:
«1

Comments

  • Mike59Mike59 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

    I bought a monster box on either BST or the monthly PM thread here.

    MIKE B.

  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2022 8:06PM

    I'd go with a known BST trader or a major bullion dealer after shopping around.

    $9,500 is almost 40% too lowball. Talk about gutter.

    Check Scotsman Coins buying sheet or JM Bullion. Scotsman does give images of what qualifies for the higher price on ASEs, i.e., if the coins are pristine or just unc.

    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

    I knew it would happen.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2022 5:51AM

    I just offered $11k for one the other day. Seller walked. Has to think about it. ( I felt like I was lowballing. spot+ $2) I suppose it was :blush:

  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

    Call around and get more than one offer - and make sure they are reputable. Lots of scuzzy buyers - even on these very boards - who will try and talk down the value...

  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Now there are some who would say, " it says One Dollar on the coin". I'll give ya $500. Silver is junk. :joy:

  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Can always count on one guy to reinforce his nickname of GUTTER.

    HEY THANKS TO EVERYONE ELSE FOR YOUR HELP.
    Standing offer in LA is +5. More than one buyer.

    Have a nice day
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @streeter said:
    Can always count on one guy to reinforce his nickname of GUTTER.

    HEY THANKS TO EVERYONE ELSE FOR YOUR HELP.
    Standing offer in LA is +5. More than one buyer.

    I thought the premium on these was $12+???

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You should be able to get 13,500 give or take from the national / bullion players

  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cohodk said:

    @streeter said:
    Can always count on one guy to reinforce his nickname of GUTTER.

    HEY THANKS TO EVERYONE ELSE FOR YOUR HELP.
    Standing offer in LA is +5. More than one buyer.

    I thought the premium on these was $12+???

    Only in someones phantom Apmex world. Lol.

    The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jdimmick said:
    You should be able to get 13,500 give or take from the national / bullion players

    Thank you.

    Have a nice day
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Bill Holter interview on USAWatchdog, silver eagles are selling for $14 to $15 OVER SPOT, if you can find them.

    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

    I knew it would happen.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jdimmick said:
    You should be able to get 13,500 give or take from the national / bullion players

    Jack Hunt is paying 9 over or about $14,000 per monster box.

  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Sure Bajjerfan. Get me in an online bidding war. Some friend you are.

  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2022 5:39AM

    I'll buy half a box at $5 over.

    My opinion is that is what they are worth to me.

    The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Sure Bajjerfan. Get me in an online bidding war. Some friend you are.

    He's selling at 12 over so there's $1500 or more in it, esp. if it's a sealed box and you could get him to drop ship it. JimD already sorta outbid you, but wasn't my intention to get you into a bidding war.

  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You guys(-1) are the greatest.

    Incredible that some shops offer paper spot.
    I'm just into my 10's & 20's and 90%.
    SAE are a different world.

    Have a nice day
  • Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

    My local is paying 5 over

  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

    My observation is that the highest buyers are the ones who already have it sold via a standing order.

    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

    I knew it would happen.
  • jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It’s amazing how many people are low balling these. Selling silver at wholesale prices has been extremely hard on the BST. No one wants to pay the new premiums but the big dealers are obviously getting them.
    JM Bullion or APMEX was offering +8 on their website.

  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Apmex offered my friend +4 with conditions. Almost a $10 spread. They got a kiss and a sweet final goodbye.
    The quoted retail on SAE is hard for me to comprehend. Old gold is about 10% over paper spot. But phyzz silver is 50-80% over paper. SMH

    Have a nice day
  • Mike59Mike59 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

    Premiums were already crazy and then Miles Franklin sells 900,000 Silver Eagles to the Texas Billionaire. That was 1800 Monster boxes. Lets see if the billionaire places the next order (which she said she was going to). If she does i think we can see premiums at 100%.
    Just my 2 cents,
    Mike

    MIKE B.

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @streeter said:
    Apmex offered my friend +4 with conditions. Almost a $10 spread. They got a kiss and a sweet final goodbye.

    >

    Another conspiracy busted.

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2022 6:01AM

    @cohodk said:

    @streeter said:
    Apmex offered my friend +4 with conditions. Almost a $10 spread. They got a kiss and a sweet final goodbye.

    >

    Another conspiracy busted.

    LOL, that's their buy price.

    Their sell "conspiracy" price remains unbusted and is at an all time premium high of 77% for a single ASE (plus shipping).

    Maybe it's the spot price that is the conspiracy.

    The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

  • SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Why conspire? You can't hedge against these huge spreads over spot?

  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2022 11:58AM

    @Soldi said:
    Why conspire? You can't hedge against these huge spreads over spot?

    Physical silver supply is shrinking. Look for a premium increase soon on other "quality" silver products. Quality is in the eye of the beholder and determined by what they are paying for the product. Consider higher per ounce products "quality."

    The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Physical gutter supply is not shrinking. There is more above ground gutter then anytime in our history. As soon as the reddit kids figure out they've been scammed into the "there's a massive gutter shortage" premiums will drop like a rock and you'll barely be able to give the stuff away. RGDS!

    The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

  • SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2022 12:38PM

    @blitzdude said:
    Physical gutter supply is not shrinking. There is more above ground gutter then anytime in our history. As soon as the reddit kids figure out they've been scammed into the "there's a massive gutter shortage" premiums will drop like a rock and you'll barely be able to give the stuff away. RGDS!

    Or it'll go to $50 per ounce, masses with think it's an equal value to years gone by, then sell. In doing so, they'll be getting no premium $$ it'll disappear into the $50 spot price. No one will even think they got scammed by "premiums" . $50 spot and premium doesn't matter,,,,, really? I, ,i, i, i mean really? Face it, it's a Communist plot.

  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @blitzdude said:
    Physical gutter supply is not shrinking. There is more above ground gutter then anytime in our history. As soon as the reddit kids figure out they've been scammed into the "there's a massive gutter shortage" premiums will drop like a rock and you'll barely be able to give the stuff away. RGDS!

    Overall, the silver market has been in a physical deficit since 2019, and silver mine supply has been in decline since 2016.

    The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It's only "gutter" when he's trying to lowball a potential seller.

    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

    I knew it would happen.
  • conrad99conrad99 Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

    @streeter said:

    Incredible that some shops offer paper spot.
    I'm just into my 10's & 20's and 90%.
    SAE are a different world.

    Once I phoned around to find a good price for ASEs and Maple Leafs I wanted to sell. "60% of spot" was the first quote. I asked her to check and confirm, this being mint condition bullion coinage. She got back on and confirmed after a few minutes. Much less happy the second time. Needless to add, I didn't visit them.

  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @conrad99 said:

    @streeter said:

    Incredible that some shops offer paper spot.
    I'm just into my 10's & 20's and 90%.
    SAE are a different world.

    Once I phoned around to find a good price for ASEs and Maple Leafs I wanted to sell. "60% of spot" was the first quote. I asked her to check and confirm, this being mint condition bullion coinage. She got back on and confirmed after a few minutes. Much less happy the second time. Needless to add, I didn't visit them.

    Next time, turn the matter back on them and ask what they are SELLING it for and tell them you want to buy.
    I'll bet their answer is "we already sold what we have" (or similar story).

  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2022 2:17PM

    @cohodk said:

    @streeter said:
    Apmex offered my friend +4 with conditions. Almost a $10 spread. They got a kiss and a sweet final goodbye.

    >

    Another conspiracy busted.

    Whoa, I think you are seeing conspiracies where there aren't any ?
    Isn't that what you claim other people are doing ?

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @dcarr said:

    @cohodk said:

    @streeter said:
    Apmex offered my friend +4 with conditions. Almost a $10 spread. They got a kiss and a sweet final goodbye.

    >

    Another conspiracy busted.

    Whoa, I think you are seeing conspiracies where there aren't any ?
    Isn't that what you claim other people of doing ?

    Nope....this is derby's conspiracy.

    Stop thinking. Make trinkets.

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Cohodk
    Could you please derail another thread. You add very little to this one. Please take your petty beefs elsewhere.

    Have a nice day
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2022 8:53AM

    @streeter said:
    Cohodk
    Could you please derail another thread. You add very little to this one. Please take your petty beefs elsewhere.

    My useless opinion is just as useless as everyones else's useless opinion.

    How much did your friend get for his ASEs?

    I'll match the Apmex buy price and buy all you got.

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2022 2:27PM

    @cohodk said:

    @dcarr said:

    @cohodk said:

    @streeter said:
    Apmex offered my friend +4 with conditions. Almost a $10 spread. They got a kiss and a sweet final goodbye.

    >

    Another conspiracy busted.

    Whoa, I think you are seeing conspiracies where there aren't any ?
    Isn't that what you claim other people of doing ?

    Nope....this is derby's conspiracy.

    Stop thinking. Make trinkets.

    APMEX has a published sell price and a buy price. Those are facts, verifiable by anyone.
    How does that constitute a "conspiracy" ?

  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

    because he doesn't agree with the published prices? LOL

    The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

    A local wholesaler just raised his 'buy' to +7. My thinking is there may be dealers who are short commitments.

    I appreciate most everyone's chiming in. Even those who are trying to derail the thread. I'm used to those few.

    Have a nice day
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @derryb said:
    because he doesn't agree with the published prices? LOL

    Bi Hi and Sell Lower. Welcome to the world of Apmex gutter. PT said it, "There's a SUCKER born every minute." RGDS!

    The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2022 4:26PM

    @streeter said:
    A local wholesaler just raised his 'buy' to +7. My thinking is there may be dealers who are short commitments.

    I appreciate most everyone's chiming in. Even those who are trying to derail the thread. I'm used to those few.

    Why's your "friend" selling at $18 gutter? THKS!

    PS: Could it be that fictitious billionaire whale that's trying to buy another 10,000 green boxes? You can't make this stuff up. LuLz!

    The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @blitzdude said:

    Bi Hi and Sell Lower. Welcome to the world of Apmex gutter. PT said it, "There's a SUCKER born every minute." RGDS!

    .

    In the US Coins section of the forum there was this:
    ( https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13309555#Comment_13309555 )

    .

    @blitzdude said:
    Yeah too bad for all the sheep that get ripped off by them [the TV "carnival barkers"]. Entertaining? Certainly NOT fun watching people being scammed, at least in the REAL world. RGDS!

    .

    Your offer of $19 each for Silver Eagles (500 at a time) is almost as bad as a TV carnival barker.

    .

  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2022 7:08AM

    Paying $19 for an ounce of gutter metal is more than fair. As a matter of fact it's pretty much right on point with my DCA for ASEs. I can't help that you and derby like to overpay. RGDS!

    The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Cheapskate. But humorous.

  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2022 8:37AM

    @blitzdude said:
    Paying $19 for an ounce of gutter metal is more than fair. As a matter of fact it's pretty much right on point with my DCA for ASEs. I can't help that you and derby like to overpay. RGDS!

    Some people bring so very little to the discussion in terms of facts, data points or experience.

    We get your repeated requests to lowball. Give it a rest. No one here is going to sell you SAE for your buy price no matter how many times you unconvincingly attempt to push your book. You are not a dealer and have very little to offer the coin community. So advertise your buy price where it works for you but you give the coin collecting community a black eye here.

    Have a nice day
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

    What does RGDS! mean and why do you say it so much?

    Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

  • SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 395 ✭✭✭

    @DCW said:
    What does RGDS! mean and why do you say it so much?

    Retrieve Gold Ditch Silver! Kidding aside, It stands for "Regards".

    BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

    In many internet forums, the moderator will step in when a person has more than FOUR posts per hundred on the thread. Because 99% of the time they have little to add.

    Not here so the trolls with little to do just badger contributing posters. Sad. But it's obvious even to the untrained eye who these people are. Sad.

    Have a nice day
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭

    A fairly decent local show yesterday, a well-known dealer in these parts had published prices of $27 buy / $30 sell for ASEs. Didn't see much action there on either side.

Sign In or Register to comment.