Home Sports Talk

How vulnerable we really are

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been wabtung do do a thread about how vulnerable planet Earth really is to the forces of nature, for instance, do you realize that underneath Yellowstone is a supervolcano and if ever decides to unleash it's fury, we're in big trouble.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed a scary thought.

I recently watched a documentary about the Siberian traps supervolcano that erupted 250 million years ago, and it wiped out 95% of life on Earth.

You can see in this photo that Yellowstone is always steaming because of the volcanic activity under the ground.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out 3 Gorges Dam in China. Something like 30+ Trillion gallons of water and the water level gets dangerously high, if that thing collapses like half of China will be gone. That's a LOT of innocent people perishing

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

It is a fascinating subject, space is a dangerous place, it's insane how fragile planet Earth really is. For instance, if a black hole found it's way to us, we would not be able to escape it's gravitational pull, it would rip Earth apart like it was nothing.

edited August 16, 2022 9:46AM

Back to the Siberian traps supervolcano, wiped out darn near every living thing on Earth, the only species that survived were the animals that were able to survive underground for long periods of time.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

my life's ambition is to get swept up in a sharknado

Sharknado, don't get me excited, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for the production of Sharkalanche to happen!

Asteroids are another threat, all it took was an asteroid 9 miles wide to wipe out the dinosaurs, along with 70% of life on Earth. The crater from that asteroid impact is visible off the coast of the Yucatan peninsula.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep don't forget about the Earth crossing asteroids, some we don't even know about yet bc they are hard to find out there. But even worse on the short term than impacts or supervolcanoes (just as the folks who were there at the beginning of the Younger Dryas...), is the ongoing mega-extinction we are in bc of climate change. Things are going to start to change quickly, climate zones will shift and flora and fauna won't be able to adapt quick enough, coastlines will be moving inwards and flooding 1/2 of where the world's population lives, rain shadows will become rain zones, large areas of the continent that depend on constant water from large rivers for agri will dry up - oh wait, that is already happening. The bottom line is that anyone around here in 20-30 years is going to witness calamity and governments can't move quick enough to address them. So worry about the asteroids and supervolanoes, but climate change is what is going to hit us (and is) on the short term.....

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

No doubt about it, the reason the Siberian traps supervolcano was so deadly was because of the carbon dioxide it continuously pumped into the air, it changed the climate dramatically, and all hell broke loose. Well guess what, we're doing that right now with all of the fossil fuel we burn and eventually all hell is going to break loose on us and we're going to say oops, we should have listened to the climate scientists.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2022 4:19PM

@Alfonz24 said:
    but can we survive kid mullet championship?

I'm with you Alfie Baby......Astroids, Volcanos, and Doomsday Events are the least of my worries...... I've got enough on my hands dealing with the here and now!..... Like, Baby Hydranette Jenny just spilled red fingernail polish all over the new wall to wall carpet!......and The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant™ is due back home any minute!....... I did tell Jenny , "Only play with it outside."..... She didn't listen!......I'm in deep SH*T!.......

Talk About Distasters?....You're Looking At One!......

I saw that Calvine UFO photo, crazy stuff. I watched this movie recently, it is based on the real life 2006 Chicago O'hare airport UFO sightings, great stuff!

I also watched this documentary recently about Bob Lazar and his story about working on UFOs at Area 51, I came away from it believing what he had to say, I think our government does indeed have extraterrestrial craft in it's possession, possibly from Roswell, and they brought in physicists like Bob Lazar to try and figure out how to use the technology from the craft.

It's all a conspiracy man, birds aren't real, they're government drones made to spy on us!

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

this all makes me very uncomfortable

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

@doubledragon said:
    No doubt about it, the reason the Siberian traps supervolcano was so deadly was because of the carbon dioxide it continuously pumped into the air, it changed the climate dramatically, and all hell broke loose. Well guess what, we're doing that right now with all of the fossil fuel we burn and eventually all hell is going to break loose on us and we're going to say oops, we should have listened to the climate scientists.

There was a time in the Cretaceous (about 95 million years ago), called OAE2, where there was an estimated 4000 ppm CO2 in the atmos (we are between 400-500 now). The ocean chemistry that is recorded in oceanic rocks at that time went wild. So many nutrients flowed into the oceans from weathering of the continents spurred on by the high CO2 and other things, that the ocean microorganisms went crazy, produced like hell, and then died off. And the were deposited as very organic rich black shales for which alot of oil comes from now. But once it started, there was a runaway that lasted 500,000 years of hothouse world climate.......... Just thought you folks would like to know that, LOL.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Lazar may be legit if you haven't seen his interview with Rogan, go to YT and watch it. Could be they are here to save us when disaster strikes............

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

I dealt with a youngster a couple years back who was watching the history channel and he saw a program similar to these posts, and he was deathly afraid that the world was going to end. This was not a joke. He was worried and it was affecting his life. I tried to explain things to him etc...but it didn't work.

So I told him how the world was supposed to end in the year 2012 and then had him watch the movie 2012. It worked. He smiled and understood, and I'm not making this up.

All this gloom and doom can be very unhealthy for people, especially since these guesses have been wrong every time(because we are still here and none of this is new). That time was already supposed to have happened.

Gloom and doom. Sell all your coastal property now. Why keep cards if there is no food in 20 yrs. We already were supposed to be out of most natural resources from out of control population by the 1980's and everyone was to have starved. These predictions were in the early 70's

The experts are just people, not God. They are making guesses. Yes, there is science and reasoning behind them, but in the end they are still guesses on future outcomes, and as history has proven, they are wrong often.

Droughts are happening in some areas, but nothing like what happened nationwide in the 1930's, and massive droughts(worse than anything today) have been common throughout history. Currently it is predicted that drought will be localized to southwest. I may be a little hesitant buying up land in the southwest desert area right now in the near term with the population growth there and it is a desert, but even those predictions of continued droughts there don't mean they will stick.

Sometimes I have more faith in the Vegas oddsmakers.

There is a heck of a greater chance of global nuclear war occurring than any of these scenarios...and in the event it happens, we are all goners anyway.

True story, when debating the purchase of a Ruth with the threat of Russian nuclear war, it was a win/win situation....if I spent a ton of money and we died in a nuclear war, it won't matter how much money I spent because I am dead. If the war never happened and I spent a ton of money on the Ruth, I also win because I didn't die in a nuclear war!

So I bought the Ruth.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, I'm much more worried about a Nuclear bomb than a volcano or asteroid.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

edited August 17, 2022 6:40AM

@Hydrant said:

If it is determined that an asteroid is going to hit, I'm walking to the convenience store right up the street, I will be too wasted to even realize it when the asteroid hits, I don't want to see it.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to believe that's a legit photo, I really do.but just can't

@coolstanley said:

Then in a couple thousand years Charlton Heston will find some old baseball cards that were proof of a once vibrant society.

edited August 17, 2022 10:24AM

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@craig44 said:

I dealt with a youngster a couple years back who was watching the history channel and he saw a program similar to these posts, and he was deathly afraid that the world was going to end. This was not a joke. He was worried and it was affecting his life. I tried to explain things to him etc...but it didn't work.

So I told him how the world was supposed to end in the year 2012 and then had him watch the movie 2012. It worked. He smiled and understood, and I'm not making this up.

All this gloom and doom can be very unhealthy for people, especially since these guesses have been wrong every time(because we are still here and none of this is new). That time was already supposed to have happened.

Gloom and doom. Sell all your coastal property now. Why keep cards if there is no food in 20 yrs. We already were supposed to be out of most natural resources from out of control population by the 1980's and everyone was to have starved. These predictions were in the early 70's

The experts are just people, not God. They are making guesses. Yes, there is science and reasoning behind them, but in the end they are still guesses on future outcomes, and as history has proven, they are wrong often.

Droughts are happening in some areas, but nothing like what happened nationwide in the 1930's, and massive droughts(worse than anything today) have been common throughout history. Currently it is predicted that drought will be localized to southwest. I may be a little hesitant buying up land in the southwest desert area right now in the near term with the population growth there and it is a desert, but even those predictions of continued droughts there don't mean they will stick.

There is a heck of a greater chance of global nuclear war occurring than any of these scenarios...and in the event it happens, we are all goners anyway.

True story, when debating the purchase of a Ruth with the threat of Russian nuclear war, it was a win/win situation....if I spent a ton of money and we died in a nuclear war, it won't matter how much money I spent because I am dead. If the war never happened and I spent a ton of money on the Ruth, I also win because I didn't die in a nuclear war!

So I bought the Ruth.

Doom and gloom is here this time, we have gambled too far and things are changing. The problem is, we know without a doubt that climate change is here and things are going to get bad and we are not doing anything to solve it. Farmers in the SW still us gobs of water and destroy themselves bc the water is running out rather than switch to drip agriculture. Governments don't spend on the solutions while their rivers run dry, there are many more drought locations on Earth than just the SWUSA - have you watched what is going on in Europe?

Here is a CNN report about the Great Valley in CA:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/17/business/west-drought-farmers-survey-climate/index.html

Google 'drip agriculture' and see how that could save many of the farmers in the SWUSA, but they or our government are not investing in it to survive. So we will see less quality produce in the stores. Yes. Doom. And Gloom. Stay tuned.

Best, SH

@coolstanley said:

And should be as long as nuclear capable countries continue to be run by maniacs, just a matter of time. Mix that in with climate change and oh my.................

No Doom and Gloom? From the CNN article above:

"The AFBF estimates nearly 60% of West, South and Central Plains are experiencing severe drought or higher this year.

"The effects of this drought will be felt for years to come, not just by farmers and ranchers but also by consumers. Many farmers have had to make the devastating decision to sell off livestock they have spent years raising or destroy orchard trees that have grown for decades," said Zippy Duvall, AFBF president."

This will continue to magnify throughout the food producing system.

@spacehayduke said:
    No Doom and Gloom? From the CNN article above:

"The AFBF estimates nearly 60% of West, South and Central Plains are experiencing severe drought or higher this year.

"The effects of this drought will be felt for years to come, not just by farmers and ranchers but also by consumers. Many farmers have had to make the devastating decision to sell off livestock they have spent years raising or destroy orchard trees that have grown for decades," said Zippy Duvall, AFBF president."

This will continue to magnify throughout the food producing system.

Was much worse across the county in the 1930's. Nothing new.

@spacehayduke said:

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@craig44 said:

So I bought the Ruth.

Doom and gloom is here this time, we have gambled too far and things are changing. The problem is, we know without a doubt that climate change is here and things are going to get bad and we are not doing anything to solve it. Farmers in the SW still us gobs of water and destroy themselves bc the water is running out rather than switch to drip agriculture. Governments don't spend on the solutions while their rivers run dry, there are many more drought locations on Earth than just the SWUSA - have you watched what is going on in Europe?

Here is a CNN report about the Great Valley in CA:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/17/business/west-drought-farmers-survey-climate/index.html

Google 'drip agriculture' and see how that could save many of the farmers in the SWUSA, but they or our government are not investing in it to survive. So we will see less quality produce in the stores. Yes. Doom. And Gloom. Stay tuned.

Best, SH

Won't argue with smart use of water as that is a given anywhere anytime....but thinking that changing gas cars in a few countries to Electric will solve that problem described, well, not so sure on that one.

All of this was supposed to have happened decades ago, and it does in some places. Some places rebound and replenish, and some end up swallowed by mother nature because humans could not tame mother nature, so humans moved to more livable ground. Mother nature will show us more lessons down the road too regardless what we do.

edited August 17, 2022 12:53PM

The fact is, if we continue pumping carbon dioxide into the air at the rate we are now, the consequences are going to eventually be catastrophic. I tend to listen to the scientists who have dedicated their life to the study of climate change, they're out there everyday in the field conducting research, keeping an eye on CO2 levels, keeping an eye on the methane bubbling up from the ocean. I've watched a lot of documentaries on the subject and read a lot of material. For instance, if the planet gets so warm that the frozen methane at the bottom of the oceans thaws, then you're really going to see the shit hit the fan, methane is 20 times more effective per molecule than carbon dioxide. Anyone who believes that climate change is a hoax needs to do some serious research, read the studies, watch the documentaries, listen to what these scientists are telling us.

Methane hydrate looks like a piece of ice when it is brought up from the sea floor. This lump was retrieved during an expedition to the “hydrate ridge” off the coast of Oregon.

edited August 17, 2022 1:50PM

If it is as bad as it is being promoted as...then the few changes to lawnmowers and cars aren't gonna do a whole lot....so might as well enjoy life's pleasures to their fullest.

You can't fight the big oil companies, they'll kill for those profits, so yes we might as well enjoy what time we have left. I feel sorry for the future generations that are going to have to deal with the mess we made.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

"WE" didn't make the mess, but b4 it gets political, one need only read current events to realize what "certain groups" are doing and have done to really put our country in one helluva hole. I weep for the future, they will shoulder the burden of what the idiots have done.

I'm beyond blessed to have come along during what I call "the sweet spot years", I experienced DJs actually spinning 45s at the Saturday night hop, the incredible 60s, 70s, etc. Got a nice job with nice benefits and a very nice pension. We all seemed to get along "back then", but somehow the wheels came off. I'll be pretty lucky to have 15 years left, and I intend to enjoy as much as I can. My plan is to travel or do something really nice every 6 months and road trips inbetween. I leave for a 12 day cruise in the Greek Islands in 2 weeks...as I've always said, travel, travel, travel, and enjoy life to the fullest while you can.

You can't fix stupid!!

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2022 8:20PM

There are things that a person (and groups of humans up to and including all 7+ billion of us) can do to alter (stop, fix, heal, etc.) the place(s) we occupy (your home, your town, your state, your country, your planet, your solar system, etc.). For things beyond the control of humans there is not much to do other than sit back and watch.

For those who choose to divert their attention from the seemingly constant blather we are exposed to 24/7 by expanding one's mind, I suggest that one pick up a good book and read it.

I like science fiction and enjoy many authors who have written in that genre.

A series of books that provides an interesting read on the human species (including a fictional account of how it came about, how it developed, how it survived itself, how it evolved beyond the "nation state" system, how it left its planetary cradle and took up residence in multiple locations in the solar system and how it reacted to its discovery that "it is not alone" in the universe) are 2001, A Space Oydessy, 2010, 2061 and 3001, all of which were written by Arthur C. Clarke.

Mr. Clarke was a visionary and his stories about humanity are really good. So much so that when I read his words I think that we just might have what it takes to avoid self destruction.

Gamma ray bursts are another threat from space, they are the biggest and most violent explosions in the universe, they happen when a star collapses onto itself and release so much energy that they can be seen billions of light years away. The energy from our sun is a joke compared to how much energy a gamma ray burst releases, and if one of these explosions happened close enough to Earth and the beam hit us, it would fry Earth in no time. Make no mistake about it, space is a deadly place and we truly are at it's mercy.

Yes, space absolutely fascinates me, if I had my life to do over again I would become an astrophysicist, hands down, and it's not even close. Perhaps I could be like Neil Degrasse Tyson, the man is the rockstar of astrophysicists, he's bigger than Mick Jagger!

The sun is fascinating, I could stare at it for hours, it's power and energy, and the shear size of it.