Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

TrueView AND SlabView! Thanks PCGS!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 12, 2022 3:27AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I love the photos PCGS provides, both the close up TrueView photos and the slab "SlabView" photos provided in some offices. In the US, PCGS Gold Shield generally comes with a TrueView photo while in Asia and Europe, PCGS Gold Shield generally comes with "SlabView" slab photos.

I think it would be great for PCGS to provide both types of photos for a coin and just ran across the first coin where both photos are provided!

On the Cert Verification page, click on the "View All Images" to see both:

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/43173144

How can we order both and can it be done for US coins? :)

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being my birth year certainly does not hurt, I really like this design of coin. Excellent!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:
    Being my birth year certainly does not hurt, I really like this design of coin. Excellent!

I remember wanting but not buying these when they were in the $500 range. Prices have certainly gone up and it's one of my missed opportunities!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.... I like the photo combination.... Should be an available option. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do agree with the slab shot addition. Would also help those who wish to compare the holder with what is being shown by a seller as another means to determine counterfeits.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    Do agree with the slab shot addition. Would also help those who wish to compare the holder with what is being shown by a seller as another means to determine counterfeits.

Except US coins where they post a reverse slab with a focus on the slab orientation and not the coin .... reverse slab view show an upside down Reverse of US coins .... pretty annoying in my book

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The real question is if submitters want their coins to be graded a week - or more/less - later than normal.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:
    The real question is if submitters want their coins to be graded a week - or more/less - later than normal.

Sign me up!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a hard time believing PCGS isn't trying to get a slab mugshot phased in for all coins. This has been brought up before as a way to protect against counterfeit slabs, coin switching, and gassing slabs to AT the coins. The best way to do it is to automate it with a slab mugshot contraption that sits next to the encapsulator device such that almost no time is added to the whole process.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need that.

• Options
    edited August 13, 2022 3:36PM

@retirednow said:

@Catbert said:

Except US coins where they post a reverse slab with a focus on the slab orientation and not the coin .... reverse slab view show an upside down Reverse of US coins .... pretty annoying in my book

One way to do this is to flip the insert on the reverse so it can be photographed like the following:

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@retirednow said:

@Catbert said:

One way to do this is to flip the insert on the reverse so it can be photographed like the following:

I understand the concept about flipping the labels (I did not know they did that kind of slab) , however, I see the Statehood and their counterparts as a kind of unique us coin.

J-1407 below is one of the 2 that I have a gripe about with PCGS, (they were done by their oversea operations) and they did respond back to me to say they can not create a TV from the files.

Please note the size of the image is the other issue. if they offered both TV with the slab that would be OK but in this case they did not.

• Options
    edited August 22, 2022 12:57AM

@retirednow said:

@Zoins said:

@retirednow said:

@Catbert said:

I understand the concept about flipping the labels (I did not know they did that kind of slab) , however, I see the Statehood and their counterparts as a kind of unique us coin.

J-1407 below is one of the 2 that I have a gripe about with PCGS, (they were done by their oversea operations) and they did respond back to me to say they can not create a TV from the files.

Please note the size of the image is the other issue. if they offered both TV with the slab that would be OK but in this case they did not.

That's a great looking coin! I hope you get a TV for your coin! If you do get one, I hope they keep the "SlabView" images on Cert Verification as well.

This one's a different coin, but it's nice to see the design up close. It's great to see a fraction on a US coin. Does this mean this is a "fractional" ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file