Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Slightly OT - but what's happening

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 11, 2022 8:42AM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Slightly OT - but what's happening
Kind of OT but has to do with peoples spending today,
Not sure if I received these from cashing my paycheck from the drive through bank OR from using the ATM..
but when I got home I found these.

3+ decades old bills............someone cashed in a lot
for me to get these randomly.
also, some have 'rust.elastic.paper clip' rust on them.

Your thoughts.
boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

It still spends. Nothing too special there but still cool to see. Probably found family money.

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Neat finds. I try to save old currency like that when I get it in change.

I'll spend it, I've had clerks question its authenticity :#

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a family's Rainy Day Fund stash of dollars. My mom had a "secret" cup in the china hutch when I was a kid where she kept ours...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heirs found it. Hoards like this were very common for people who lived through the great depression. It was someone's emergency cash.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Likely a stash from a deceased individuals estate..... Happens fairly often that there is a 'stash' of bills kept for emergency. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm torn when it comes to vintage currency. On one hand I really like it. On the other hand, counterfeiting earlier bills was easier.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought is that grandma or grandpa died and that the family found these stashed in a drawer. This happens a lot.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭

I keep a stash of cash, a few $100 bills for an emergency. All are pre-new security types of currency, probably 20-25 years old.. Recently tried to use one, clerk thought it was counterfeit. My parents who grew up during the depression did likewise. Then it was $10 or $20 gold coins. Unfortunately, those were turned in after FDR banned gold ownership or spent.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful,
    but valuable? Not so, unfortunately.
    Now, if they were special "stars" or special "serial numbered", then you maybe talking a different story.
    Thanks for sharing!
    :)
    B)
    Going with your theme.
    https://youtu.be/ympPrBR4E60

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stuff like this always tends to crawl out of the woodwork when times are bad.

Heck just yesterday I was considering a few Sister Wives when I almost fell over seeing the price of a pint of blueberries :s

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m guessing bank tellers may be seeing more and more of this as baby-boomers reach their 70s and 80s. Cash socked away for hard times being spent by themselves or their heirs.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    Looks like a family's Rainy Day Fund stash of dollars. My mom had a "secret" cup in the china hutch when I was a kid where she kept ours...

he could start another one for himself (family), just a thought

• Options
    Mike59Mike59 Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2022 6:52AM

Agree with family money found when home was getting ready for sale either died, nursing home, assistant living. I’ve had over a dozen clients over the years call me to discuss finds ( mostly 90% silver) when getting home ready to sell due to 1 of the reasons listed above. I have a bunch of notes that that I’ve had for up to 50 years ago. Im pretty sure my kids would just spend the ones that are worn and not in currency holders. I still have about 100 silver Certificates found in the wild during the 1970’s.

MIKE B.