Home U.S. Coin Forum

Details Valuation Discounts

GM everyone. For the folks that live and breathe this enough to know off the tops of their heads, what are ballpark ranges of % haircuts vs straight grades for the different negative attributes that would get a coin marked as details? Is this something that is even answerable or is there really high variability depending on the grade, type of coin, etc, etc?

I just got this back in from PCGS and it came back as a details grade (I was perhaps applying some of that wishful thinking that it would grade straight with maybe a slight hit to the net grade) and this is what led to my question above.

Thanks!

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

0 to 90%

There isn't really a range. Generally, I use 50% as a rough estimate. But if you had a bust half with light cleaning, it might sell for full sheet, especially if it were a scarcer type.

In your case, probably only 20% or so.

• jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @jmlanzaf !

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Each coin would have to be independently evaluated. There are just too many variables. Cheers, RickO

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

The variables would include demand for the issue, severity of the impairment, how the potential buyer views the aesthetic hit, possible variety or error attribution and basal dollar value for the piece in question. Your particular coin appears quite attractive, in my opinion, and I view the type of damage yours has to be quite minor, but others may hate rim issues. In other words, it's impossible to give you a precise percentage, but I can guarantee that there won't be universal agreement on it from one buyer to another.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still an attractive and desirable coin. I can’t really tell how much damage there is from the photos. You might want to solicit a few third party in-person opinions about the merits of cracking it out and resubmitting in the hopes of a better result.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file