Options

1795 plain edge, no pole half cent struck over a 1795 cent, PCGS MS66RB

raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 10, 2022 5:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Lot 3038 in the McGuigan sale, is just amazing on so many levels:

Comments

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's extremely cool. Thanks for sharing such a treasure.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoa!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too cool.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's seriously cool!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW... I wonder how they were able to tell it was struck over a 1795 Large Cent?

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw that coin at FUN and wondered if I could possibly afford it. Then I looked it up…..NOT!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WilliamF said:
    WOW... I wonder how they were able to tell it was struck over a 1795 Large Cent?

even more than that, they know the exact sheldon number.

in looking at the max trueviews, the auction listing with different images, the holder, the 76b sheldon from my database of the husak coin, i gotta say something isn't making sense here.

not only do i see no undertype, there is no mention of the o/c strike from what appears to be a large cent.

help, anyone?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2022 6:53PM

@Catbert said:
    Saw that coin at FUN and wondered if I could possibly afford it. Then I looked it up…..NOT!

I looked at that display at FUN as well.
    I had no idea that many half cent errors even existed.

** WOW... I wonder how they were able to tell it was struck over a 1795 Large Cent?**

It almost looks like the half cent was struck first, then it was partially stuck between the dies of the large cent and struck again.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have to look again, but I wouldn't think a 1/2 cent would take up that much of a planchet on a Large Cent.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@WilliamF said:

even more than that, they know the exact sheldon number.

in looking at the max trueviews, the auction listing with different images, the holder, the 76b sheldon from my database of the husak coin, i gotta say something isn't making sense here.

not only do i see no undertype, there is no mention of the o/c strike from what appears to be a large cent.

help, anyone?

From the lot description: “All that remains from the large cent are the tops of the letters AME, but from that, attribution as 1795 S-76b was possible, courtesy of a patient numismatist.”

Link to description: https://coins.ha.com/itm/half-cents/1795-plain-edge-no-pole-b-5b-c-5b-low-r4-struck-over-a-1795-s-76b-cent-ms66-red-and-brown-pcgs-our-eac-grade-ms66/a/1348-3038.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited August 10, 2022 6:58PM

well, i'll post the links if someone is up for untangling what this thing is.

cert - - - ha link - - - tv image

just for fun, edited to add: the various people that offered attributions over the decades/centuries

Ross 3-B;
    Gilbert-6;
    Empire-18;
    Cohen-5b;
    Breen-5b;
    Bowers Whitman-6b;
    Eckberg 1a-C.

:smiley:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@Catbert said:

Me too.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    help, anyone?

From the lot description: “All that remains from the large cent are the tops of the letters AME, but from that, attribution as 1795 S-76b was possible, courtesy of a patient numismatist.”

ya, that part i understand but the only way this half cent is struck OVER a large cent, is if it was a small planchet of a large cent that was struck o/c and tbh, i'm not sure that even makes sense.

c'mon here, tell me i'm not the only one baffled, seriously! i'm not losing sleep over it but i am totally in OZ on this one.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@MFeld said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    help, anyone?

ya, that part i understand but the only way this half cent is struck OVER a large cent, is if it was a small planchet of a large cent that was struck o/c and tbh, i'm not sure that even makes sense.

c'mon here, tell me i'm not the only one baffled, seriously! i'm not losing sleep over it but i am totally in OZ on this one.

I see what you mean, it seems to be a large cent struck over a half cent.

• Options

if any half cent experts care to chime in as to why the lettering/numerals of the half cent have bifurcation like it is broadstruck, that'd be grand. (i know there is early type that has bifurcation w/o being broadstruck, ironically)

however it is untangled, that is some serious 18th century midnight shenanigans!

• Options

@rays said:
    I see what you mean, it seems to be a large cent struck over a half cent.

the only reservation i have about which was struck first is that the edge of the o/c part looks like what i'd expect if the half cent was struck second as it has some metal curling up, whereas if the large cent came second, i figure that part would just be thin and kinda smooth?

i'm sure there are some label space constraints but it is odd it isn't listed as an error either.

• Options

TD, thank you for your excellent analysis. I was having trouble conceptualizing how this could have occurred.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Look at the rim through the Large cent section on the True View and you can see a bit of upturned metal on both sides. As the linked auction description says, the first strike was from cent dies off-center on a cent planchet. They then took the mis-strike and punched a half cent size blank out of that, partly overlapping the cent strike. They then ran this blank through the upsetting machine, raising up a bit of an upset rim through the cent strike area. They then struck this coin.

The area struck buy the cent dies was made thinner than the unstruck area of the cent planchet. When the half cent was struck on the thicker cent areas, the strike did not penetrate down to the struck cent ar

Weight 6.74 grams. Way too heavy for a plain edge half cent, but about right for one that is (mostly, except for in the area struck by the large cent dies) of large cent thickness.
    TD

i let your post digest for a bit and that makes sense. i did look over the description area a couple times before posting but didn't see any explanation.

i have heard about cutting down and reusing flans so that makes sense and explains the curled metal at the o/c sections.

thanks for taking the time!

this along with some of the other early errors are pretty amazing on their own, let alone the condition they are in!

after the short stint i have in numismatics, it seems there is no end to the amount of amazing material out there despite the chaos of time and history!

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

TD is correct, and his analysis was eloquently explained.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@MFeld said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    help, anyone?

yes, I was trying to figure it out, when I saw your post.

Obviously a typo.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a truly unique error coin. Thanks @CaptHenway for the explanation. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's very interesting how many people were confused about the coin but how few of them bothered to actually READ the excellent HA description.

Turns out it isn't just kids that only look at the pictures. ;)

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    It's very interesting how many people were confused about the coin but how few of them bothered to actually READ the excellent HA description.

Turns out it isn't just kids that only look at the pictures. ;)

the description is VERY poorly placed considering its importance. i skimmed it a couple times, for my part, and did not see it. that information is placed under "Surfaces."

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

how sweet is that :)

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat-O... Thanks for posting! <3

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

@rays said:
    Lot 3038 in the McGuigan sale, is just amazing on so many levels:

do you think someone has the ability to add it to either the large cent or half cent registry since technically it is both and both are listed on the label and cert page?

• Options
    edited August 11, 2022 12:28PM

Only the half cent registry.

35087 on Coinfacts is listed as follows:

1795 1/2C C-5b Pl Edge No Pole, RB (Regular Strike)
    Series: Liberty Cap Right Half Cents 1794-1797

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file