Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Septimius Severus

Never thought too much about this emperor; thought he was a bit too violent for my taste. Recently, though, I have been reading a biography of Rabbi Judah the Prince and discovered a side of the emperor (and his genuinely violent homicidal son, Caracalla) that I had never come across, before. Doesn't take much to pique my numismatic curiosity. Came across this gorgeous provincial.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    numismagramnumismagram Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

The provincial issues, especially ones from the Thraco-Macedonian and Asia Minor regions (like this one from the Pisidian Antioch), can offer some really great portraits and can be much better value than their imperial counterparts. It's definitely an area that doesn't get as much attention.

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. How big is that?

I've only owned two of his coins over the years. This is one of them.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

22.96 mm.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones - maybe I stole your thunder with my Septimius Severus denarius, but he’s downright common compared to the others you’ve posted. Despite having owned well over a hundred different emperors and empresses, I have never owned coins of Pertinax, Didius Julianus, OR Pescennius Niger. Those are some real toughies!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.