• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

So he was "Clutch"

I think hard-core BB guys hate that term lol

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2022 11:18AM

@perkdog said:
    So he was "Clutch"

I was just about to say something similar. Although I'm sure anyone with enough numbers could combat that argument.

Edited to add: I would think one argument that a naysayer to the "clutch" gene would make is that Rose only had those opportunities in later games because of people who were even more clutch by getting things done earlier in the series. 🤷

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

oh gosh. somehow poor old George Brett is going to get dragged into this...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rose was a hero in the 1975 Series; in the five other Series he was a non-entity. He didn't crap the bed like George Brett in those other Series; he just didn't matter.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the worst human beings on the planet.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    One of the worst human beings on the planet.

Just when you think he couldnt sink any lower, you learn more about him and his 14- year-old conquests.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2022 8:09AM

last Sunday a female baseball writer posed a question about the statutory rape allegation and Rose replied, "it was 55 years ago, babe"

he is a national treasure

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Pete Rose is the scum of the earth. I'm thrilled that he's not in the HOF, which he wants most in life. For those of you that think he's such a great guy, just read the attached. This LOOOOOOZER should have been put in jail long ago.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20208447/woman-accuses-pete-rose-statutory-rape

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2022 11:47AM

All I know is that he caught that ball before it hit the ground in the 9th inning at a crucial time in the 1980 World Series. As a long suffering Phillies Phan I will be eternally grateful.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TabeTabe Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    So he was "Clutch"

I just wonder why he didn't try harder in earlier games.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:
    So he was "Clutch"

I'm sure he did. Its the World Series.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2022 2:00AM

There’s an easy answer.

A hitters brain needs to learn a pitchers arm angle and release point and ball movement.

No interleague play back then.

It takes a hitter 2-3x to see a new pitcher before they get a feel for him.

Yaz struggled against Gibson in game 1 in 1967 but got him later.

Reggie’s three home runs came in game 6, not game 1 or 2.

edited August 11, 2022 4:32AM

1 inning relief pitchers should never win the Cy Young, nor have their ERAs compared to starters who go 6+ night in night out.

Comparing Catfish to Fingers in the postseason is silly.

Fingers winning the 74 Series mvp was silly too. Catfish had a better era in the WS and during the regular season as well. Imagine a starter having a better era than a reliever on his own team.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:
    So he was "Clutch"

He wanted to be in a situation where he could be the big cheese for his team when the series was hanging in the balance silly

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Goldenage said: 1 inning relief pitchers should never win the Cy Young, nor have their ERAs compared to starters who go 6+ night in night out. Comparing Catfish to Fingers in the postseason is silly.

While I understand the comparison, it isn't entirely accurate, especially the "night in night out" part!! Starters might pitch 6+ innings but then they have 4-5 games off. The relievers might only pitch one inning but they'll do it 2-3 days in a row, maybe have a game off and then have to come in again. Hardest of all is that they need to be ready at all times. They might pop up and get ready, only to not be needed, then two innings later they need to be ready in a minute or two when things suddenly fall apart. I don't think the physical challenge of a relief pitcher, especially the closer, is fully appreciated. Past that is the mental aspect. Those guys are a special breed of athlete which accounts for why it's so difficult to succeed in that role.

edited August 11, 2022 7:34AM

All you have to do is look at Smoltz ERA his three years as a reliever compared to when he was a starter.

Compare Eckersleys first five years as a reliever compared to his career starter ERA. His arm went towards the end, like Hunters did.

@Goldenage said:
    1 inning relief pitchers should never win the Cy Young, nor have their ERAs compared to starters who go 6+ night in night out.

Comparing Catfish to Fingers in the postseason is silly.

Fingers winning the 74 Series mvp was silly too. Catfish had a better era in the WS and during the regular season as well. Imagine a starter having a better era than a reliever on his own team.

I couldn't agree with this more. even the "greatest" closer, Mariano Rivera was little more than a failed starter.

can you imagine what kind of "closers" unit, clemens or pedro could have been had they been able to enter a game already ahead usually and knowing they didn't have to hold back anything for later innings? If they knew they could let completely loose for 15-20 pitches? they would have been unhittable.

remember how dominant Smoltz was during those couple of seasons later in his career when they used him as a closer to let his arm heal? he was a monster

@Maywood said:
    Goldenage said: 1 inning relief pitchers should never win the Cy Young, nor have their ERAs compared to starters who go 6+ night in night out. Comparing Catfish to Fingers in the postseason is silly.

While I understand the comparison, it isn't entirely accurate, especially the "night in night out" part!! Starters might pitch 6+ innings but then they have 4-5 games off. The relievers might only pitch one inning but they'll do it 2-3 days in a row, maybe have a game off and then have to come in again. Hardest of all is that they need to be ready at all times. They might pop up and get ready, only to not be needed, then two innings later they need to be ready in a minute or two when things suddenly fall apart. I don't think the physical challenge of a relief pitcher, especially the closer, is fully appreciated. Past that is the mental aspect. Those guys are a special breed of athlete which accounts for why it's so difficult to succeed in that role.

I couldn't disagree more. it is no different than position players having to "be ready" night in and night out. or bench players not knowing when they will have to enter a game and needing to stay loose. often times, when you see players popping up to get loose, it is of their own accord and they are doing nothing other than playing hard pass.

they also have the ultimate advantage of facing batters for the first time. a traditional starter will face the same batters 3 and possibly 4 times per game. those later at bats are also when the starter is tiring. the reliever can empty the tank, knowing they only have to throw 15-20 pitches game.

i completely agree that 1 inning relief pitchers should never sniff cy young awards. most closers come in to start clean innings with no one on base. closers for sure are overrated in my book

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

My point was that starters don't pitch "night in night out" and really nothing more. Thanks for your take on things.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:
    So he was "Clutch"

He wanted to be in a situation where he could be the big cheese for his team when the series was hanging in the balance silly

I knew I could count on you to come through with the correct answer.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    oh gosh. somehow poor old George Brett is going to get dragged into this...

So true....... Somehow by the end of this thread Brett will generally be considered the 78th best all time third basemen.