Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NGC coin received on eBay slightly different from coin seen on NGC certification lookup - fake?

I bought this 1923 Peace dollar on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195040542943

This is what I see when I verify the coin in NGC's online database:

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/6549315-020/62/

The coin I received matches what was shown on eBay, but not the coin on the NGC website. Notice that on the one on the NGC site, there is some greenish patina by the "I" in Liberty. This does not appear on the coin I received. Also, the coin I received has a milk spot above the 2 in 1923, but this doesn't appear on the coin on the NGC site. Also, the pattern of scratches in completely different. Plus, the coin I got on eBay was somewhat underpriced at $50, where NGC lists the value at $60. What does this mean? Do you think I have a fake?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2022 9:13PM

The ngc picture is too fuzzy for me to tell, at least on my phone 🤔 but I do see the greenish coloration and lack of milk spot - however as I understand it milk spots can occur even after it's slabbed if I'm not mistaken.

• Options
    spencer195spencer195 Posts: 17 ✭✭✭

Thanks for catching that, MasonG! That makes me feel a lot better!

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2022 9:29PM

This. And it wouldn't be worth it to fake or replace a $45 widget.
    Also look at the bag marks to the right of the nose and mouth.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

The grading companies glamor shots can look very different than a sellers photos or the coin in hand.
    I agree it appears to be the same coin.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin you bought is an extremely common date Peace Dollar in extremely common grade. It is about as generic as Peace Dollars come. Don't be concerned about price list "values" for such coins Your goal should be to get them as cheaply as possible. My own opinion is that you overpaid for the coin if you paid $50.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the same coin. Pictures can be deceiving, but the small details confirm this is the same in both pictures. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭

As noted above the NGC standard photos are not the best, but most are good enough to identify a coin. When comparing photos to ID a coin, it is best to look for marks, scratches, rim dings, pits, etc. Color is typically not a useful tool to ID a coin as it can easily change from photo to photo.

• Options
    spencer195spencer195 Posts: 17 ✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2022 4:23PM

[comment posted on wrong thread]

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lighting for both pictures can be a big factor in trying to match them up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file