Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG - 1882-S Morgan Revealed! 65 OGH!

spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 7, 2022 8:39AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just received a PCGS Silver Morgan Dollar in the mail. I think it was a good pick up. What would you grade it? I didn't notice the light gold toning at the edge until I was looking at the enlarged photos.

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS65.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 235 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

MS-64

Young Numismatist

• Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking Morgan! I agree with the others 64-65 range.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

66+
    excellent strike
    better fields would give it a 67

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS64.

Vplite99
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr_Spud

• Options
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a very nice Morgan.... I would give it a 65 based on the pictures. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

There 1,861 MS-67 on the 1882-S Morgan's, this is not one of them.

MS-66

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

64, tops.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

I'll go with 65.

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

And the winner is.... 65. OGH.

These are the pictures I bought it off of... Based on the description I'm not entirely convinced it was quite as accurate as it could have been, but a gem nonetheless imo.

Now comes the real question... To CAC or not to CAC? The seller thinks it deserves a gold bean but seems the majority are pretty close to its current grade. I'm also considering reconsideration/regrade but I think the OGH alone may have some value so I'd hate to lose that...

I'd love to hear your opinions!

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spyglassdesign said:

These are the pictures I bought it off of... Based on the description I'm not entirely convinced it was quite as accurate as it could have been, but a gem nonetheless imo.

Now comes the real question... To CAC or not to CAC? The seller thinks it deserves a gold bean but seems the majority are pretty close to its current grade. I'm also considering reconsideration/regrade but I think the OGH alone may have some value so I'd hate to lose that...

Just seller spin/hype, his photos are over exposed so that none of the hits were visible, done on purpose I suspect. It might get a green bean, but if it was truly a strong gold bean contender he would have sent it in himself.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2022 8:49AM

@spyglassdesign said:

Unless you personally know the seller (or someone who can vouch for his honesty and objectivity), I see no reason to place any credence in what he supposedly “thinks”. As a matter of fact, he gave you good reasons not to believe him - despite what he wrote, the cheek clearly isn’t “perfect”. And what do you think the odds are that the coin is “the worst undergrade ever” as he claimed? It didn’t look very nice to me in some of the photos (which is why I guessed “64 tops”). So I wouldn’t spend the money trying CAC or reconsideration service.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s the seller that blurs Liberty’s cheek and fields to try and camouflage hits and scratches, so you can’t believe them when they say it will get a gold CAC. But at least you got a coin from him that seems to be graded properly.

Mr_Spud

• Options

@Mr_Spud I haven't seen any of his pics that look photoshopped. Intentionally not that great sure but not obviously photoshopped like many I see on the bay. I've read his reviews so I knew it was probably a bit overhyped.

• Options

@Mr_Spud said:
    That’s the seller that blurs Liberty’s cheek and fields to try and camouflage hits and scratches, so you can’t believe them when they say it will get a gold CAC. But at least you got a coin from him that seems to be graded properly.

The listing photos and many photos of other offerings look odd to me.

• Options

@Mr_Spud said:

Link to other listings from seller, so people can get a good feel for his imaging: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ssn=*auctionkings*&store_name=toliverjamesrarecoins&_dmd=2&_oac=1&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

• Options

@MFeld the goal was a solid 65 for reference, not intended to resale but maybe some time down the road so in the end I ultimately got what I wanted 😁👍

I still may send to cac if they ever reopen some day just to see what they think... I'd like to get even better at photographing coins. I feel my pictures tell more of the story than most out there but there's still nothing like being in hand.

Now I have a solid mid grade to compare others to for determining if I want to chance grading or not.

• Options

@spyglassdesign said:
    @MFeld the goal was a solid 65 for reference, not intended to resale but maybe some time down the road so in the end I ultimately got what I wanted 😁👍

I still may send to cac if they ever reopen some day just to see what they think... I'd like to get even better at photographing coins. I feel my pictures tell more of the story than most out there but there's still nothing like being in hand.

Now I have a solid mid grade to compare others to for determining if I want to chance grading or not.

Your getting what you wanted is by far, the most important part.👍

• Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

My opinion, leave it in the OGH, and send to CAC if you so desire. Not an expert on CAC, but I think there is really no down side to sending it in. If no bean, then no cost to you (except shipping). Any beans, and resale value likely goes up greater than the CAC fee.

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file