Home U.S. Coin Forum

What do you put on your 2x2 flips to label them?

FishtailApple12FishtailApple12 Posts: 25
edited August 6, 2022 8:00AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I’m not really into grading I just want to collect a variety of coins, but with the variety should I put like what the coin is on it? I know I should put the date and mint mark but what else should I put? Just looking for suggestions because I don’t know where to start with the labeling

Best Answer

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2022 11:31PM Answer ✓

Bear in mind that I am mostly a World collector. I use the following template for all my writeups, and generally include most of it (minus the commentary) on a flip. This would be tricky if handwritten, but printed out on the computer in a small font, it can fit on a 2x2 flip insert most of the time.

I find this list of parameters can be filled out to cover just about any coin or token, from ancient to modern, World or USA. If you're just a US collector, you might not feel the need to go into such detail, but if your collection spans many different countries and eras like mine does, this is a good "one size fits all" set of statistics to keep.

Obverse description
    Reverse description
    Issuer (country, ruler, or government)
    Specifications (composition, diameter, weight, mintage)
    Grade (+ cert # if certified)
    Reference (catalog number, variety, etc.)
    Provenance (source I bought it from and the date)
    Notes (general notes about the coin or its history)
    Comments (personal notes about why I like it, etc.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Answers

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2022 8:04AM

I generally add the grade, date purchased, price paid, and the seller's name. I keep this info in an Excel doc as well, but I find it's also handy to have it on the 2x2 (or slab).

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

If there’s something special about the coin that I want to remember, I’ll put it on there. For instance what show I was at or if it came from a family member. If it has a particular quality that someone (me) might overlook in the future that made it appeal to me.
    One of my 2x2s might have
    Date
    MM
    Price
    Show/shop (w/date)
    Attribute (great strike or near FB or great reverse)

It’s your collection. Make sure you put the info you’ll want at a glance on there.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

I leave them blank these days, but I used to grade them myself and just write the grade.

Mr_Spud

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2022 1:30PM

Country / grade / my ask price. Sometimes ASW

In code - cost, MV

Then 2x2 flip put in Cowans pages - collector coin binder in display case w slabs, WPM, etc.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing at all, that way you can re-discover the coins every time you look through them >:)
    I generally just put date/mm but if a coin is a variety may as well label that too.

Collector, occasional seller

• PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

Date, MM, General Grade (MS, MS+, AU, AU+ etc)
    Variety and FS (From Set) on the back

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2022 3:43PM

give it a unique, sequential serial number and let your spreadsheet provide the details.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• @derryb can you elaborate? How would I go about doing that?

You should be using a "current inventory" spreadsheet such as Excel to control and manage your inventory. You should determine the info you need for each line item (coin or roll of coins) and create a column for it. The spreadsheet should be used to keep you up to date on current inventory and when you sell an item you complete the columns with the sales data and then cut and paste the entire line item into a "completed sales" spreadsheet. The completed sales spreadsheet is what you will use to fill out your Schedule C tax form.

Each line item should have a description. For slabs I use the info from the label including the S/N and grade. For raw coins in flips I assign a unique serial number that is included with the flip and also used in the line item description. I even have a folder with pics of each item and use the slab S/N/unique assigned S/N to file pics in the folder.

• @derryb said:
    You should be using a "current inventory" spreadsheet such as Excel to control and manage your inventory. You should determine the info you need for each line item (coin or roll of coins) and create a column for it. The spreadsheet should be used to keep you up to date on current inventory and when you sell an item you complete the columns with the sales data and then cut and paste the entire line item into a "completed sales" spreadsheet. The completed sales spreadsheet is what you will use to fill out your Schedule C tax form.

Each line item should have a description. For slabs I use the info from the label including the S/N and grade. For raw coins in flips I assign a unique serial number that is included with the flip and also used in the line item description. I even have a folder with pics of each item and use the slab S/N/unique assigned S/N to file pics in the folder.

So I’m not trying to sell them, at least not currently, I just want to see what I have quickly and easily. Is the personal inventory template on excel what you are talking about? And how do I create my own serial numbers? How many digits total, how many digits per category, basically I’m kind of lost but this is intriguing to me so I want to try it

edited August 6, 2022 9:06PM

eventually they will be sold and income will be taxable. Good to have a record of costs and expenses.

Whatever works for you is the best way to create serial numbers.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually I put nothing on or in the flip. Once in a while, if it is something special, I will add a sticky note to the outside. Cheers, RickO

• @derryb Update: I’m now using a database system called MySQL to manage my coins and I have kinda created my own serial number using numbers and letters to label the coins. This is obviously way too much work but hey at least I’m having fun

@FishtailApple12 said:
    @derryb Update: I’m now using a database system called MySQL to manage my coins and I have kinda created my own serial number using numbers and letters to label the coins. This is obviously way too much work but hey at least I’m having fun

Hopefully it will keep your inventory up to date and will provide you with all the info you need at tax time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file