Home U.S. Coin Forum

I have a 1976 bicentennial Eisenhower dollar. Is it silver? the rim doesnt have any trace of copper.

I have a 1976 bicentennial Eisenhower dollar. Does it have any silver? the rim doesn't have any trace of copper. So It looks like it might be silver. No mint mark. I tried looking it up but im still unsure. Ive looked at the other 1976 Eisenhower dollars and they have copper color on the rim, but this one does not. If it doesn't have copper on the rim it must have some silver right? maybe it is one of the proofs that were made with some silver? I even have another 1976 bicentennial Eisenhower dollar and it does have the copper rim as you'd expect but this one does not. Any help or info as to why this one doesn't have a copper rim is greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

Tagged:

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are both UNC and Proof coins made of 40% silver.

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

If there is no mint mark, then your coin has no silver. Most likely plated after it left the mint.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2022 1:19PM

The "silver" (40%) Ikes are also clad, so they should also have layers.

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pictures please.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DanM55 ... Welcome aboard. We will need pictures for conclusive identification. However, from the description, the above inputs are correct.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2022 6:39AM

Welcome to the forum.

Pictures will help. It might take a couple days before youcan post unless your savvy with the way of the internet 😎.
    We await your pictures and be patient. Lots of knowledge here and you’ll get your answers. 😉🙀🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• JWPJWP Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you have been given Member stats, you need to post a photo of the Obverse and the reverse. When asking a question, Photos are needed to see/understand what your are referring too. Pleas update with photos when your status changes. Welcome aboard. :)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• DanM55DanM55 Posts: 26
    edited August 2, 2022 3:41PM

Wow thats awesome i thought i got banned or something because it allowed me to make this post but then the next day i couldnt respond to it or create any new discussions. I was kinda sad. But thats great. im thrilled. I thought maybe i was supposed to post this in the Q&A. but thats cool cuz ive been getting back into collecting again. Currently thinking about buying a Phonecian shekel of tyre like the ones that were given to judas in the bible.

edited August 2, 2022 3:45PM

Weight is the standard 22.835 and no mint mark. The other coin is the same year but has that "copper rim" and i think its a Denver mint (didnt weigh that one. I just couldnt find out why this one has been clad/plated or something. Even tho its not silver thank you for letting me know about it. I appreciate ur help and insight. I was hoping it was silver but i have a book of US coins (ss Central America edition) and it said that they arent silver. Further research didnt find any more info. And thank you for the warm welcome :) Im glad i am able to use the forum to learn more about coins and other collectables. nobody that i know knows anything about them lol.

edited August 2, 2022 4:16PM

DanM55
    Please learn how to handle coins by the edge or with cotton gloves or sandpaper and hammer.
    That picture is like fingernails on a chalkboard😫😫
    Quality is good but fingerprints are not the best look. Although, to each their own and collect what you like. 😉🦫🤨

Buy yourself a Redbook and enjoy the volume of information available 

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The nominal weight of a 40% silver Ike is 24.59 g while the cupronickel clad is 22.68 g. At 22.835g your coin falls well within the tolerance of a regular planchet, but well below that of a 40% planchet. Therefore, it couldn't be struck on a silver planchet

Why is the copper missing? Could have been plated after it left the mint. They did this a lot with cents (science experiments) and state quarters (home shopping channel junk)

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people ;) on occassion have also taken a silver Sharpie to the edges of clad coins just to be mischievous. >:)

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DanM55 said:
    I have a 1976 bicentennial Eisenhower dollar. Does it have any silver? the rim doesn't have any trace of copper. So It looks like it might be silver. No mint mark. I tried looking it up but im still unsure. Ive looked at the other 1976 Eisenhower dollars and they have copper color on the rim, but this one does not. If it doesn't have copper on the rim it must have some silver right? maybe it is one of the proofs that were made with some silver? I even have another 1976 bicentennial Eisenhower dollar and it does have the copper rim as you'd expect but this one does not. Any help or info as to why this one doesn't have a copper rim is greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

if you are going to dabble in USA coins, this is a MUST-HAVE. either the normal redbook below or the MEGA red which is like 10 books in one, big and heavy.

i just looked at the page for these and it has virtually any info you really need to get where you are going. for the price, you won't find anything better.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• @Jzyskowski1 said:
    DanM55
    Please learn how to handle coins by the edge or with cotton gloves or sandpaper and hammer.
    Quality is good but fingerprints are not the best look. Although, to each their own and collect what you like. 😉🦫🤨

oh yeah that makes sense lol. ill have to start doing that. fortunately these arent valuable at all.

edited August 2, 2022 8:58PM

@DanM55 said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    DanM55

oh yeah that makes sense lol. ill have to start doing that. fortunately these arent valuable at all.

Sorry about the “get off my lawn thing”. I just turned 70😁
    There’s a number of things that folks around suggested I try and have shared about caretaking of my coins.
    I’ve dropped and cracked a pcgsPF70 ase and it cost a little.
    Good luck.
    Oh yah , put a 100% cotton t-shirt on your work area and it’s very good a preventing an accident
    Redbook and a Mega Red. Different volumes cover different US coins. Just a nice extra volume of in
    Enjoy 😉🙀🦫

edited August 2, 2022 9:54PM

np. u dropping that coin makes me feel better about selling my 2 inch wide ptolemy bronze coin for pretty cheap years ago lol. ive never done anything too detrimental. although i did strip the wood on my arisaka stock puting the wrong screw back in the sling swivel. and i used an electric drill to set the new screw in cuz even with oil it was still tight. I went too far and cracked the screw! I had to fix it by drilling it out and putting a hardwood dowel in it :( The t shirt is a good idea. also been planning of getting some white cotton gloves for ever. Usually im very careful tho. had it been a more valuable coin i would have taken more care. I see mint state versions of that coin selling for 6$ on ebay and thats with the $3 or more shipping. at least it was just the case tho! imagine if it was gold coin and it got a nice ding in it.... yes that is a good question. how far did it fall? im surprised it didn't pop out!

• AbehunterAbehunter Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

How far did it fall?

edited August 2, 2022 11:29PM

Back in 2017 I bought the pcgs PF 70 from Bullion Exchange. My very first. Standing in the kitchen ( ceramic ft x ft tiles). We gathered around and I opened it and promptly fumbled it up even higher than the counter.
    Down it came 🥵🤐😫🤨 just really right and proper on the edge of the slab.
    Long and short, after a visit to the local cardiac center, The good folks at Bullion Exchange had me return it with $10 dumb tax😁 and they replaced it. Dang good customer service 😉🙀🦫
    Very cracked and ugly

• Did i post this in the correct forum? or should i have posted it in the Q&A? I was thinking the Q&A was for more generic questions.

• SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭

While there are some Denver minted Ikes on silver planchets known to exist, there are none from Philadelphia that I am aware of. Further, there are no 1976 Type 2 Ikes (like the depicted coin) that are silver. This knowledge should be enough, but the coin weight should confirm CuNi planchet as well.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file