Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another Buffalo for the herd. 1916 Doubled Die Obv

VetterVetter Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 28, 2022 4:55PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I know, it’s acid treated (please don’t beat me up about that), but I really liked the look of this one and it was priced so low that I would have been a fool to pass it up. The 16 DDO is my favorite coin and this make a whopping 2 in my collection.

Members I have done business with:
Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin. This would be the only way I would ever be able to own this variety and would jump at it. Congratulations, well done.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Value aside, it doesn't really matter whether it's an acid dip or an MS-63, it STILL IS THE OVERDATE.

You have to look at it like the above.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still a good coin.... and you like it.... That is called 'coin collecting' and it is fun. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoever did the acid treatment was an expert at it. That's a nice job...

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's unfortunate that those that use acid don't know how to determine the DDO without acid. It was not necessary unless you wanted to actually see the date. It can be determined by the doubling of the small bottom feather and no acid is needed.
    bob
    PS: I wonder the difference in value if any this way or left alone. Would be interesting to know.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick up

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Great pick up, with such low numbers of coins available looks like you're starting to corner the market, just kidding, great way to build your collection, good pieces to trade if you see another one in a higher grade. keep on hunting!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2022 1:56PM

@AUandAG said:
    It's unfortunate that those that use acid don't know how to determine the DDO without acid. It was not necessary unless you wanted to actually see the date. It can be determined by the doubling of the small bottom feather and no acid is needed.
    bob
    PS: I wonder the difference in value if any this way or left alone. Would be interesting to know.

If you send it to a major grading service, the difference is the left alone coin would have a straight grade while the acid treated coin would have a details grade with the notation of "ACID TREATED" on the label.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    VetterVetter Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received it back from grading. Exactly what I knew it would be. Still have to have it slabbed as it’s the only way most would buy it, not that I’m selling.

Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Acid treated or not, that's a desirable coin. Nice job!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file