Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wild 2019 American Memorial Strike Through Error, No Mint Mark

arby96arby96 Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

Today I just cracked me second box of quarters searching for W's and errors. Me first roll me pulled this wild looking strike through error. Its on a 2019 American Memorial Obverse. Me believe this happened at the mint. Not sure what debris caused this marking. Could feeder fingers cause this? Should it get graded? Also no visible mint mark, I was hoping it was a W. One will never know.

Comments

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry – not an error- it’s all damage

Looks like the coin got jammed in a counting/wrapping machine

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

My vote is PMD....FWIW😎

• Options

I have a statement to argue that its not PDM, Where did the devise lettering disappear too? One can see the outing of George’s head through the damage, yet can’t see the outline of any of the letters that are missing? How does one account for the weak strike on In God We Trust and Dollar, United States, we should still see some of AR in Dollar, There should be some of the Mint Mark. You, all who state PMD May be correct, IF this coin was gouged or scratched one would see up lift on each side of the scratched or gouged marks. So I am still leaning towards not being a PMD coin. As of now I am keeping an open mind with those who don't think its a PMD coin. More research to do.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@arby96 said:
    I have a statement to argue that its not PDM, Where did the devise lettering disappear too? One can see the outing of George’s head through the damage, yet can’t see the outline of any of the letters that are missing? How does one account for the weak strike on In God We Trust and Dollar, United States, we should still see some of AR in Dollar, There should be some of the Mint Mark. You, all who state PMD May be correct, IF this coin was gouged or scratched one would see up lift on each side of the scratched or gouged marks. So I am still leaning towards not being a PMD coin. As of now I am keeping an open mind with those who don't think its a PMD coin. More research to do.

Fred is THE expert. It is PMD.

If you think it was a strike through, WHAT was struck through?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@arby96 said:

Also, what strike-though would have peeled back the rim like that?

It's PMD.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pmd, fwiw. Take your chances and see if it grades have a nice day

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD... Nothing more.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such a rush to call everything PMD here. Where are the metal burrs and pressure ridges from the so-called damage?

I would like more close up pics, but I think there’s a chance it could be pre-strike planchet damage, in which case, it would be an error coin. I don’t like the apparent strike weakness at the high points of the reverse, but the lack of weakness opposite the the areas of removed metal. On top of it, there are some circulation hairlines which don’t make the pics very easy to decipher.

@arby96 Can we get closeups with different lighting?

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

the rim edge above STATES shows sanding like damage

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are the odds of planchet damage occurring on both sides in different directions? PMD in my opinion.
    JIm

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you find it in a new coin roll or old coin roll?

My guess is you found it in an old coin roll....

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2022 7:48AM

feeder finger die damage is limited to the fields which are the high points on the die that accidentally made contact with the press feeder fingers. The coin devices will not show feeder finger damage as they are the low points on the die and out of reach of the feeder fingers.

Fred likely gave you a free "PCGS grading opinion" as he would likely be the one to provide them with expert opinion.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

Want to thank everyone for their comments, Just got back from a friend who has been collecting for over 50 years and has this awesome coin micorscope. After looking at the coin under his microscope, and his opinion as well. I am done with this coin. PMD! Keep on Hunting.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice images!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Looks like someone from Coin World is interested in taking a look at this coin, so I will be sending it to him to take a closer look at it. He is intrigued with how the devises around the damage look. Will update when I get more information.

• Options
    edited August 29, 2022 2:32PM

Hello Everyone, here is the update on the Quarter. Mike Diamond from Coin World. He wrote an article in Collectors' Clearinghouse Errors & Varieties. Still inconclusive on what caused this damage. Here is the article for you all to read. Enjoy! Sorry had to delete the article, Mike stated it is a copywrite issue. Once I get the link I will post it if anyone is interested in reading it.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not get it. An article about a damaged coin. hmmm.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

The jury is out still on this coin. This damage still could have been caused at the mint. Still doing more investigation. "Potential Production Damage"

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@arby96 said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

The jury is out still on this coin. This damage still could have been caused at the mint. Still doing more investigation. "Potential Production Damage"

Post strike mint damage equals a damaged coin.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

@arby96 said:

"Potential Production Damage"

Well I guess that headline will get more looks than "Potential Post Mint Damage" :#

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file