Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Recently graded nickels.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. Did the 1910 and 1945-P get grades? I like the look of the 1910, so often BU V nickels look "dirty". The 45-P looks to be one of those clean, but gray (no luster) examples. I submitted a similar 1939-P R40 example way back when and it came back MS63 - I hope yours fared better. Nice batch.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coins.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    Very nice coins.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice shield nickel!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2022 4:21PM

The 1945-P appears to be DDR FS-801.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1945-p-5c-ddr-fs-801-030/38505

Nice agglomeration of nickels!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Take a close look at the date on the 1943P nickel and tell me what you think.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2022 5:20PM

You may be on to something with this one.

I really like the 4 in the date, not so much the 3, which is kinda mushy.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1943-2-p-5c-fs/84019

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

The Trueview photo of my newly graded 1943P nickel lacks focus and clarity.

My recollection is that it is the 1943/2 P variety. :)

Will have to check it closely when I receive it back from our host.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ones :smile:

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII ... Very nice nickels... You have been posting many beautiful coins lately.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

I just received a package of coins from PCGS today, including the nickels shown above. Always a treat to get coins back from being graded.

With respect to the 1943-P nickel graded MS66FS, I looked at the date again and compared it to the blown up photo of the 1943/2 overdate in Coinfacts.

My nickel is the 1943/2 variety.

I noted this variety on the Submission Form (giving the precise coin # [4019] for this coin). For the 1945-P nickel that was graded MS62 DDR, on the Submission Form I noted that variety (giving the precise coin # [4173] for that coin).

PCGS agreed that the 1945-P nickel is the DDR variety, but it did not agree that the 1943-P nickel is the 1943/2 variety.

I will have to contact Customer Service about this. It may be best that I bring the newly slabbed coin to a future show where PCGS is in attendance and ask one of their on site experts about the coin.

It sure would be nice to have this nickel in a holder that says 1943/2-P MS66FS :)

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the reverse a ddr? The obverse looks like the die saw a lot of polishing, maybe the details were polished away. On your coin I do not see the lower section of the 3 filled like it should be on a 43/2.

• Options

Aspie_Rocco.

The 1945P nickel is a ddr and PCGS labeled it as such.

The 1943P nickel has the same PUPs as those shown in CoinFacts blown up image (of the date) that you posted above. The photo of my coin is blurry and out of focus. The photo dies not show the "3" in the date clearly.

I am currently looking at the "3" in date through a 10x loupe and it looks like the "3" in the CoinFacts blown up image. The "194" on my coin also looks like the "194" in the CoinFacts blown up image.

• Options

I resubmitted the 1943 P MS66FS nickel for variety attribution.

It came back graded as a 1943/2 P MS66FS nickel.

Made my day.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

I viewed the large image of your coin and it looks to me like it's the DDO and not the 3/2 variety. I've found a few of those, both Mint State and circulated, and the crossbar of the 2 is always visible almost to the center of the three in addition to often being able to see a remnant of the 2 at the top of the three. PCGS has always been very strict about these diagnostics because there's a die that struck coins with a small die chip in that same area that mimics the overdate.

In the past, a coin had to look exactly like the image below or it would not get the variety. Judging by the TV this coin doesn't qualify.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them all, especially the V nickel.

GrandAm :)
  • Options

Maywood.

The Trueview Photo of the nickel taken at the time the coin was initially graded lacks focus and as a result does not clearly show the detail of the coin, including the date. That photo has been posted above in this thread.

When the coin was resubmitted for variety attribution a new Trueview Photo was taken. That photo is worse than the first photo of the coin.

As I have said, I have seen the coin in hand through a 10x loupe. My opinion is that it is the 1943/2 P variety. PCGS has now also determined and opines that the coin is the 1943/2 P variety:

14 1 44883298 38500 1943/2-P 5C DDO FS-101 (028), FS MS66FS USA

However, if you want to judge the coin based upon one or both Trueview images and conclude that the coin "does not qualify" as a 1943/2 P variety, feel free to do so.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

WoW!
    Esp. Loving that '43d.
    Beautiful
    <3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

The new TV clearly shows the overdate, nice score!!

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

There should be strong doubling in GOD and elsewhere.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file