Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Let's see some coins from...Poland? New 1932 Jadwiga: Tom's Law strikes again.

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 23, 2022 3:14PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I've way, way overshared my 1932 10 Zlotych proof. But I feel it's one of the most beautiful coins ever struck. And its strangely and sorrowfully low mint state pops create a compelling story of the early-mid 20th century.

Anyway, do you want to hear my story or not?

Shortly after buying that proof piece (highest of the 2 known), I bought what was then one of the highest-graded circulation strikes: An NGC MS62. Great luster, great strike, identical era slab as the proof. But I suspect it was held back for a well-hidden staple scratch in the folds of her headdress.

Those purchases were about 10 years ago. In that period of time I've kept an eye out for a higher circulation strike to accompany my proof. Their numbers have increased, though they don't come up for sale very often. NGC shows just 28 examples graded 64-65 with none higher. PCGS shows 11 examples in 64 with none higher. That's out of about 1,000 graded from a mintage of over 9 million!

I came across a PCGS example a few days back on eBay. Asking way, way too much for it, in my opinion. Like stupid money.
But it had something rarely seen on these pieces: Color. Rainbow color, even. So I double-checked populations on PCGS to see where she fell in the most recent population reports, and would you guess what? She's PCGS's "plate coin" for their listing.

Huh.

Well, stupid is as stupid does. She arrived today:

https://www.pcgs.com/valueview/10-zlotych-1925-1939/1932-w-10-zl/4984?sn=172803&h=pop

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had seen that coin on ebay while the listing was live and thought it quite pretty. If I hadn't already had my example I might have attempted to justify it myself. Nice acquisition!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2022 4:26AM

Nice coin!

PCGS plate coin these days only means that it has a Trueview and someone has it in their inventory. There was some semblance of prestige before Laura Sperber and others lobbied Brett/PCGS to drop the Coinfacts image archive so that their crack outs wouldn’t be visible with the past evidence.

• Options

Hey, I'll take it! Makes a great image and it's still one of the most colorful examples I've seen.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Nice coin!

PCGS plate coin these days only means that it has a Trueview and someone has it in their inventory. There was some semblance of prestige before Laura Sperber and others lobbied Brett/PCGS to drop the Coinfacts image archive so that their crack outs wouldn’t be visible with the past evidence.

Oh, the ignominy! Alas! Alack! :#:D

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2022 5:54PM

Congrats on the purchase!

These are surprisingly difficult to find slabbed (NGC or PCGS) in any grade. I searched for a while and even had a want to buy post here on CU (unsuccessful) before finding one on eBay. A few months later I found a second. It's odd how sometimes there is nothing and then you find two!

Here is the current keeper; I'd love a nicely toned example but know the chances of finding one is fairly low.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, yes, mine is also a PCGS MS63.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@TomB said:
    Oh, yes, mine is also a PCGS MS63.

Color on yours way trumps mine, @TomB !

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Polish Lithuania

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately my best is circulated, I would pay moon money for a MS-65+ though. Just a really pretty coin.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

I've read the easiest way to grade pieces is by the horizontal bands of her headdress. That wear on delicate detail seems to be especially true on this series, in which cleaning on otherwise semi-lustrous surfaces seems to be common.

Also note the bands appear to be awfully close to intact on @U1chicago 's 58. I'd have been tempted to say 60 on his in the wild.

--Severian the Lame
  • Options

And since we went there, my PF65:

--Severian the Lame