Home Sports Talk
Options

MLB All-Star Game Draws Lowest Ratings Ever

coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Major League Baseball’s All-Star game only earned 7.5 million viewers on Tuesday, making it the lowest-rated All-Star game in MLB history.

According to Sports Business Journal’s Austin Karp, the Fox broadcast was far worse than the previous least-watched game from 2019, the latter of which earned 8.14 million viewers.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s still not as bad a watch as the Pro Bowl lol

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Was that the absolute worst singing (or lack of) the national anthem ever !!!!!!!

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

There was an all-star game?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I may have logged in 4 or 5 pitches during that game...
    I really can't handle current MLB anymore... :)

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

MLB is due for a major change. It has fallen off the national sports conversation (for years now), but more of a regional one now. Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, and etc. are still popular.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2022 1:34PM

@GoDodgersFan said:
    MLB.....has fallen off the national sports conversation.....

So true, and so sad......It's all been self inflicted damage....Starting at the top with the Commissioners Office and on down.... I know quite a few ex-players, etc. that just can't stand watching what passes for MLB baseball today...... Common complaint??...... They don't recognize the game anymore.... Sad....Because played the way it was meant to be played it's the best game ever invented!..... Sad....

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2022 3:47PM

For many,many years people have been telling me that the price of tickets is at some point going to be the death blow to MLB......Reason?....... Going to the games is no longer a family event. Mom, Dad, and the kids have been priced out......Result?.... Not enough excited young kids, the future paying fan base, go to the games anymore........I think MLB has hit the point of no return.

P.S. When I was little kid, a Sunday afternoon outfield bleacher ticket at Dodger Stadium was 75¢ for children 12 and under. The whole family and the kid's friends went....all the time.....think about it.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

baseball is fading into oblivion, and it deserves this fate. i was a monstrous fan growing up, but when the Expos got screwed by the work stoppage in 94, it lost me. i loved that team, and people forget just how good they were. it got a part of me back later that decade when all sorts of improbable things started happening due to the turning of a blind eye, but when it came to light that i had been duped and played for a fool with all of the rampant cheating, the sport lost me again. and much to my non-surprise, very little has changed since that time. 20 years later and the team in my city was banging on trash cans to win a championship. baseball is a disgrace and has been for a very long time. if it wasn't for my old man being a die-hard Cards fan, i'd know absolutely, positively nothing in the year 2022 as it pertains to the sport.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

i didnt even watch the game this year.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw a few pitches

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

I quit watching when the Yankees built their new stadium and jacked season tickets to $40k or some ungodly amount for fans that had sat in the same seats for decades.
    Baseball isn’t the only sport that lost the family atmosphere. $1000’s for a seat in Jerry’s palace started the decline of reasonable ticket prices for the NFL.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

And the players union is too soft. Two ALL-STAR Cardinals players arn't allowed to play in this weeks series against the Blue Jays. And those players will lose a ton of money as well.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    And the players union is too soft. Two ALL-STAR Cardinals players arn't allowed to play in this weeks series against the Blue Jays. And those players will lose a ton of money as well.

The Royals just had 10 players who couldn't travel to Canada.

But Toronto is America's team.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    For many,many years people have been telling me that the price of tickets is at some point going to be the death blow to MLB......Reason?....... Going to the games is no longer a family event. Mom, Dad, and the kids have been priced out......Result?.... Not enough excited young kids, the future paying fan base, go to the games anymore........I think MLB has hit the point of no return.

P.S. When I was little kid, a Sunday afternoon outfield bleacher ticket at Dodger Stadium was 75¢ for children 12 and under. The whole family and the kid's friends went....all the time.....think about it.

Ya, it's not affordable like the NBA, NHL and NFL! Lol!

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

That's because of Canada's draconian covid protocols. New York had theirs in place before the season started and I was dying to see how it would unfold with Judge since he would not have been allowed to play any home games. What I was dying to see is if he would STILL take scheduled rest days even though he would already have 81 of them! New York ended up changing it so it wasn't an issue.

Kind of like Tim Anderson on the Sox taking a day off just one game after the all star break(which was already a longer all star break than normal)...while his team is fighting for its playoff life.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

What - specifically - would you like the union to be doing here?

• Options

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

For starters, no loss of pay for the unvaxxed players.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

By signing an MLB contract, they are committing to following the laws of Canada and to make themselves eligible to work there. You think they should be paid for intentionally making themselves unable to fulfill the terms of their contract?

• Options

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

By signing an MLB contract, they are committing to following the laws of Canada and to make themselves eligible to work there. You think they should be paid for intentionally making themselves unable to fulfill the terms of their contract?

Why should US players have to follow laws of a dictator? The draconian laws shouldn't exist.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

Why should US players have to follow laws of a dictator? The draconian laws shouldn't exist.

That's a different argument.

They agreed to follow the laws of Canada. Period.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

How do you know that? Did they sign their contracts after the Canadian vax mandates? Or before?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

How do you know that? Did they sign their contracts after the Canadian vax mandates? Or before

It's irrelevant when they signed. They have no reasonable expectation that Canadian laws will remain completely unchanged for the duration of their contracts.

• Options

The affected players obviously didnt agree to Canada's terms. They are not at fault.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    baseball is fading into oblivion, and it deserves this fate. i was a monstrous fan growing up, but when the Expos got screwed by the work stoppage in 94, it lost me. i loved that team, and people forget just how good they were. it got a part of me back later that decade when all sorts of improbable things started happening due to the turning of a blind eye, but when it came to light that i had been duped and played for a fool with all of the rampant cheating, the sport lost me again. and much to my non-surprise, very little has changed since that time. 20 years later and the team in my city was banging on trash cans to win a championship. baseball is a disgrace and has been for a very long time. if it wasn't for my old man being a die-hard Cards fan, i'd know absolutely, positively nothing in the year 2022 as it pertains to the sport.

As a kid, I LOVED the Expos batting helmets.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched the All Star game for a short while, but it was boring I fell asleep.

As for interest in the teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, etc. the Red Sox will soon be off the list if they keep looking like the Red Sox of the early 1960s.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?