Home Metal Detecting

This is fantastic - Numismatics Finds of The Americas

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 19, 2022 7:54AM in Metal Detecting

here's a sampling:
:

here is a link to the book = https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/519183?page=176
from the NNP

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those stories are always interesting and fuel for all of us who dream of finding treasures. Even more interesting would be a compilation of storied but unfound treasures.... for those of us who still believe we will one day find our buried/hidden treasure. Cheers, RickO

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

That illustration reminds me of Ben Gunn in Treasure Island. I always enjoy reading about hoards found. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    for those of us who still believe we will one day find our buried/hidden treasure. Cheers, RickO

Here is a good one that I think is in your back yard.
    Dutch Schultz’s Buried Treasure
    $150 million in gold and silver coins, paper currency, bonds, and jewels
    Location = Phoenicia in the Catskills which is about 60 miles south of Albany New York
    Dutch Schultz’s Buried Treasure

Dutch Schultz’s Mugshot

Dutch Schultz one time gangster during the prohibition era of the twenties made his money by making and selling some of the worst tasting booze in New York State. It was so bad that Schultz and his men would have to strongarm speakeasy owners to purchase his horrible tasting brews.

During the 1920s Shultz made a fortune. In 1935 Dutch Schultz was under indictment for tax evasion by Thomas E. Dewy who was the Chief Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York. So Shultz was worried he would be sent to prison on tax evasion charges the same fate as Al Capone.

Legend has it that Schultz buried a safe containing what would now be worth upwards of $150 million in gold and silver coins, paper currency, bonds, and jewels in or around the town of Phoenicia in the Catskills which is about 60 miles south of Albany New York.

Dutch was later shot down in the Palace Chophouse in Newark, New Jersey in 1935. But before he died he is said to have told the police “Don’t let Satan draw you too fast” Some believe that was a coded message referring to the town of Phoenicia because near the town there is a cropping of rocks called the Devil’s Face and a large rock called the Devil’s Tombstone.

Many treasure hunters have been searching for that treasure for years to no avail. It has never been found. But one thing is for sure only Dutch Schultz and his bodyguard Bernard “Lulu” Rosenkrantz knows the real truth.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

@1630Boston ... Yep, not far from me at all. That being said, the area is HUGE.... I certainly have read everything I could find about this treasure. Some say a safe, others say it was a large metal storage bin. Either way, it contained a lot of gold, silver etc.. Probably the bonds and currency are rotted by now - depends on the actual storage container. Either way, if true, it seems it is still out there. One thing for sure, if I find it, no one will know. Cheers, RickO

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, Rick may have already found it! :)

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    That illustration reminds me of Ben Gunn in Treasure Island.

Reminds me of Dean Martin.

edited July 20, 2022 4:21AM

@No Headlights said:

:D

edited July 19, 2022 7:44PM

@Bayard1908 said:

@Namvet69 said:
    That illustration reminds me of Ben Gunn in Treasure Island.

Reminds me of Dean Martin.

I think you are on to something :D

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@No Headlights said:

Do you really think he's going to answer that ? :D

I didn't ask, :)

:o

@No Headlights .... So, Rick may have already found it! :)

Ssshhhhhhhhhhh...... B) Cheers, RickO

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

• bg1856bg1856 Posts: 27 ✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing