Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Hockey error, variations, oddities, rare/unreleased.....

Hey guys, I have been putting together a list of all the error, variations, oddities, rare/unreleased cards for my collection.

I ideally wanted a list of the top 150 of these cards.

I wanted to have the top 5 (or 10 if possible from football, basketball, hockey, and non-sport)....because baseball will have so many...

When I say "top" I mean most iconic/impactful/historical --- not so much valuable........

For example, I think the Bill Ripken error would be higher on the list than the 1952 Topps bios...

I am asking for help with hockey ? are there 5 of these to make on a list ? or even 10?

I am a more modern collector, so I know of the Paul Gillis Bloody nose, and vaguely remember a Brett Hull promo card....

and maybe 1990 Upper Deck Promos Wayne Gretzky LA Kings Hockey Card #241

anyone have any thoughts / recommendations ?

thanks

rt

Buying:
Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”

Comments

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭

The list is too broad.... Errors is its own list.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only two known “missing black ink” from 69 opc high series pictured. A handful of other commons exist from the low and possibly high series. Came in wax and vending.

Many aren’t even aware they exist. Very rare.

• AANVAANV Posts: 326 ✭✭✭

If I had to take a guess, I would say that the 1970 O-Pee-Chee Brit Selby No Trade is probably the absolute most difficult variation of the commonly known cards from vintage hockey.

• junkwaxgemsjunkwaxgems Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2022 8:13PM

1989-90 Topps Randy Cunneyworth Penguins On Front;

1990-91 Pro Set Stanley Cup Hologram No "Stanley Cup" Embossed Text;

1990-91 Pro Set Chelios/Andreychuck/Housley/Nilan without trade snipe on front (may not exist);

1990-91 Score Bob Sweeney 3 Blue Boxes On Front;

1990-91 Score Craig Muni Craig Simpson Photo;

1990-91 Upper Deck Patrick Roy No "Wales" On Front

1995-96 Ultra Extra Wayne Gretzky Kings Photo

fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems
  • richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭

Thanks for replies....

I seem to think there isn't an iconic error / variation like Billy Rikpen Face, or frank thomas NNOF, or even like the Football Dexter Manley substance....etc....even Non Sport has the C3P0 Golden Rod......

hopefully there are more replies, but at least you guys have a few to look at .... hockey doesn't seem as exciting.....

Maybe Boxing, Hockey, Non-Sport, and "other" -- should be its own category from the baseball, basketball, footballs if I was to continue with the list....idk...just brainstorming now

Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

1981 Red Rooster Oilers Wayne Gretzky Long Hair variation is somewhat iconic.

• RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Definitely the 1969 OPC Gordie Howe Mr.Hockey. The number on the back is missing on the variation. Finding one WITH the number is very difficult.

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2022 1:54PM

With hockey, you'd have a long list if you were including uncorrected errors. The big difference with baseball is that generally, production was such that errors could be caught and corrected. With hockey, errors just lived on. Examples I am thinking of include Steve Larmer/Steve Ludwik pictures being swapped on their OPC rookies, or the Kevin Lowe OPC card that has Gretzky's stats on it. Or just collect the 90-91 Pro Set, where pretty much every other card has an uncorrected error. They couldn't even spell Ray Bourque correctly.

If you want go down rare and unreleased, try the 1991 7th Inning Stretch set. Its a set of OHL, WHL and QMJHL players. Originally a 132 card set, they had to pull 17 cards, including 2 of Eric Lindros, due to rights issues

• erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:

If you want go down rare and unreleased, try the 1991 7th Inning Stretch set. Its a set of OHL, WHL and QMJHL players. Originally a 132 card set, they had to pull 17 cards, including 2 of Eric Lindros, due to rights issues

Which set is this? I love collecting Lindros and am not sure if I have these or not.

@erba said:

Which set is this? I love collecting Lindros and am not sure if I have these or not.

The Lindros cards are #96 and #119. The set is the 1991 7th Inning Sketch. There are other Lindros cards in that set too, but they weren’t pulled. Those two are not as expensive as you’d think give how short the print run was.

• goyeintogoyeinto Posts: 36 ✭✭

greetings,,

still looking for these below

and then...

regards goye

• erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:

@erba said:

The Lindros cards are #96 and #119. The set is the 1991 7th Inning Sketch. There are other Lindros cards in that set too, but they weren’t pulled. Those two are not as expensive as you’d think give how short the print run was.

Ah, ok. I have them. I was hoping I was on the hunt for some more cards!

• vols1vols1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

I have this unreleased set. The backs say 5 of 6, but i have been unable to locate the 6th card.

• RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

For both rare and unreleased there’s a 1980 Topps Gretzky all star proof that features a different photo than the one that was used.

@RedHeart54 said:
    Definitely the 1969 OPC Gordie Howe Mr.Hockey. The number on the back is missing on the variation. Finding one WITH the number is very difficult.

Came in packs only. Like the Orr and Esposito names in yellow print on the backs of some 69 opc puzzle cards. Harder to find than the Howe with number.

1979 Topps has a tough error.

Card #8 has Palmateer and Lessards picture reversed.

There’s a sheet on eBay with it.
    Tough one

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@goyeinto said:
    greetings,,

still looking for these below

hey goyeinto,
    Those are pretty cool.. :)

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since the OP mentioned more modern items: A super tough series to find is the 1998-99 Pacific - Dynagon Ice Inserts - Titanium Ice where the error is that some were printed and distributed without a serial number on the back side (they are supposed to be serial numbered ##/99).

• stanforddudestanforddude Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

@junkwaxgems said:

1990-91 Pro Set Chelios/Andreychuck/Housley/Nilan without trade snipe on front (may not exist);

junkwaxgems, I’ve never heard of the 1995-96 Ultra Extra Wayne Gretzky Kings Photo error. What’s the story with that one?

edited July 25, 2022 7:51PM

@stanforddude said:

@junkwaxgems said:

junkwaxgems, I’ve never heard of the 1995-96 Ultra Extra Wayne Gretzky Kings Photo error. What’s the story with that one?

The Gretzky card inserted into packs has him as a St. Louis Blues player but promotional materials show photos of him in his Kings uniform. I believe that a few years back, a copy of it sold on ebay. It appears on several Gretzky master checklists but the origins of its distribution are unknown. Fleer often sent unmarked promo cards to dealers along with sales materials and it is possible that some went out this way. It is also possible that they made their way out through proof sheets.

and then there's this...

@goyeinto said:
    and then there's this...

These are just wrong backs. Very common in junk era products.

edited August 2, 2022 2:30PM

@AANV said:
    If I had to take a guess, I would say that the 1970 O-Pee-Chee Brit Selby No Trade is probably the absolute most difficult variation of the commonly known cards from vintage hockey.

Shelby No trade

22 total graded.

11 psa 8’s
    2. PSA 9’s

This card has only 15 psa graded.

2 PSA 8’s and 2 PSA 9’s.

There are only three of these graded.

The black bottom prints are the toughest of all according to the pop reports.

Except for the 69 opc missing black ink. They are the toughest.

• AANVAANV Posts: 326 ✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

@AANV said:

Shelby No trade

22 total graded.

11 psa 8’s
    2. PSA 9’s

The black border issue is somewhat skewed, given that it has only relatively recently been recognized as a variation.

The Selby data are not correct in the PSA population reports.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2022 11:25PM

@goyeinto said:

One of the intriguing aspects of our hobby is that errors are almost worthless, and it is only variations that have value. I suppose I should say that composition errors, such as this:

have value the same as any other card, but errors such as off center cutting or misapplied ink have no value unless, again, there are enough with the exact same ink patterns to constitute a variety, cf 1990 Frank Thomas NNOF.

• rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2022 10:04PM

@vols1 said:
    I have this unreleased set. The backs say 5 of 6, but i have been unable to locate the 6th card.

i'm curious on the story of these, as the Roy does not show up on his player checklist, and I don't recall seeing this in my previous searches. I definitely don't have this on my Roy want lists (yet).

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• vols1vols1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2022 9:30PM

@rmh111985 said:

@vols1 said:

i'm curious on the story of these, as the Roy does not show up on his player checklist, and I don't recall seeing this in my previous searches. I definitely don't have this on my Roy want lists (yet).

They were supposed to be inserted into packages of Elite Hockey for Starting Lineup, but I believe Pacific went bankrupt before the product was released. I only found 3 or 4 copies.

Some vintage rarities:
    C56 Newsy Lalonde #37
    V145-1 Bert Corbeau
    V130 Maple Crispette Sprague Cleghorn
    V129 Anonymous Harry Oliver
    1955 Quaker Oats short prints: Lumley, Clancy and Richard
    1955 Parkhurst Tim Horton (defense printed upside down)

This one’s not exactly the most iconic, but an interesting junkwax era oddity. 😂

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2022 6:04AM

@stanforddude said:
    This one’s not exactly the most iconic, but an interesting junkwax era oddity. 😂

Wow I opened a few boxes of 91/92 Upper Deck back in the day and never knew that card existed. How SP was it? That is cool.

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not overly pricey or valuable but hows these ones for oddities .

edited August 10, 2022 8:22AM

Brad31, the story I heard on the Ty Gretzky card was that Upper Deck printed up a batch and gifted it to the Gretzky family. Sort of like the 1990 Topps George Bush card, except 1000x less iconic. I saw Ty Gretzky himself comment on instagram that he had a few of these stashed away.

Bill Monbouquette at least sounds like a hockey players name.

• saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Someone please explain how the 1970 Black bottoms differ from the regular cards.

Is it that the box extends slightly farther towards the bottom of the card?

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com

@saucywombat said:
    Someone please explain how the 1970 Black bottoms differ from the regular cards.

Is it that the box extends slightly farther towards the bottom of the card?

Yes

Just picked this one up on Ebay. I’ll bet somebody reading this thread was my competition in the auction. I was not expecting to have to pay $56.59!

• clarke442clarke442 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or just collect the 90-91 Pro Set, where pretty much every other card has an uncorrected error. They couldn't even spell Ray Bourque correctly.

I finally took pictures

• ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Topps 1980/81 hockey contained numerous photo variations that exist in proof form only (images were changed shortly before production). I don't have the complete list, but the big ones included Gretzky and Lafleur All Star and the Flyers Record Breaker cards. I'll look for photos of the ones in my collection...

"Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult