Home U.S. Coin Forum

US Navy's Blue Angels Appoints First Female Jet Pilot In History - Lt. Amanda Lee

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 19, 2022 5:27AM in U.S. Coin Forum

US Navy's Blue Angels Appoints First Female Jet Pilot In History
July 19, 2022
Navy’s Blue Angels appoints first female jet pilot

Lee (above) credits Capt. Rosemary Marine, one of the first female military pilots, as the person who paved the way for women in the air forces.
Blue Angels
https://youtu.be/W9Q-EckGyYo
.PENSACOLA, Fla. – The Blue Angels have selected the squadron’s first female F/A-18E/F demonstration pilot.

On Monday, the U.S. Navy flight demonstration squadron announced six new officers to join the team for the 2023 air show season. The squadron selected two F/A-18E/F Super Hornet pilots, an events coordinator, a C-130J Super Hercules pilot, an aviation maintenance officer and a flight surgeon to replace departing team members.

Although hundreds of women have served with the Blue Angels in a variety of capacities over 55 years, Lt. Amanda Lee, of Mounds View, Minnesota, will be the first woman to serve as a demonstration pilot.

Lee grew up in Minnesota, and while attending the University of Minnesota in Duluth and working at UPS, she decided to enlist in the Navy. She graduated from Recruit Training Command in Great Lakes, Illinois, in 2007.

Her enlisted career as an aviation electronics technician led to her selection into the Seaman-to-Admiral Commissioning Program. Lee earned her commission in August 2013 and was designated a naval aviator in April 2016 before being deployed to the USS Harry S. Truman in support of Dynamic Force Employment Operation "INHERENT RESOLVE," as well as numerous exercises with NATO allies.

In 2019, Lee was part of the first all-female flyover as part of the funeral service for retired Navy Capt. Rosemary Mariner, one of the first female Navy jet pilots and the first woman to command an operational naval aviation squadron.

more info here if interested https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/07/18/blue-angels-first-woman-female-demonstration-pilot/10088861002/

To celebrate - post your favorite coin from your collection.
boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

goo.gl/NFTDiNmLXxePvRMx6

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

i heard that on the news this morning. shes got some serious bragging rights now. best wishes to her

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

By no stretch of the imagination my favorite coin, but how about one that has Navy blue and gold...

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw a cockpit view of a Blue Angels demonstration once, and those wingtips are FEET from the cockpits of the jets next to them. One wrong movement and things can go wrong very quickly. Needless to say, they are quite amazing. Congrats to Lt. Lee!

Coin Photographer.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2022 8:00PM

I hope the young lady the very best....quite an accomplishment for her!!....
    Just yesterday, my 10 year old grand-daughter told me that when she grows up she wants to be a Los Angeles Rams cheerleader!.....
    This?.....

Instead of this?....

How retro can a little girl be?!?!?!?!

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the same lady in both pictures?

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms71 said:
    Looks like Lt. Lee is wearing the Purple Heart ribbon, possibly with a star (Navy wears a star for the 2nd award). She deserves tremendous respect.

That's not a purple heart, but a Battle "E".

Purple Heart would rank highest if she was awarded one. Top corner towards center of chest. Her current highest award is the Navy/Marine Corps Achievement Medal. 3 gold stars means she has 4 of those.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• ms71ms71 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cranium_Basher73 said:

@ms71 said:
    Looks like Lt. Lee is wearing the Purple Heart ribbon, possibly with a star (Navy wears a star for the 2nd award). She deserves tremendous respect.

That's not a purple heart, but a Battle "E".

Purple Heart would rank highest if she was awarded one. Top corner towards center of chest. Her current highest award is the Navy/Marine Corps Achievement Medal. 3 gold stars means she has 4 of those.

Right you are - I didn't catch the narrow gold stripe of gold at each end of the ribbon.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Thunderbirds are amazing as well. Been a long time since I have gone to an air show.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2022 8:04AM

@Hydrant said:
    I hope the young lady the very best....quite an accomplishment for her!!....
    Just yesterday, my 10 year old grand-daughter told me that when she grows up she wants to be a Los Angeles Rams cheerleader!.....
    This?.....

Instead of this?....

How retro can a little girl be?!?!?!?!

i duuno weather yo smile or not (having served with womwn before. it was awesome) just saying

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been married for forty years to my wife; you don't want to fight her!!! Congrats to Lt. Lee. Go Navy.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had 2 female flight instructors, 1 good, 1 not so good.

Hope this one knows how to fly!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file