Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1966 Lincoln cent

Hi I'm back, can you tell me if this 1966 Lincoln cent is a DDO/DDR? Thank you very much

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like it should be very easy for you to answer your own question.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    justmenutty72justmenutty72 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

You should have some macro photos to better attribute this coin if it’s a variety

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would respectfully suggest that newer posters need to start educating themselves on what a given error type is, how they occur, and what to actually look for...rather than just throwing old coins found in change on here hoping others will do the work for them.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you think you have a doubled die, the first thing you should do is check the following sites for an EXACT match. You can always post for a confirmation by asking "is this DDO-XXX from Wexlers site?". Plus there's info on how to learn the characteristics of true hub doubling

www.varietyvista.com
    www.doubleddie.com

Bookmark and study them!

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:
    If you think you have a doubled die, the first thing you should do is check the following sites for an EXACT match. You can always post for a confirmation by asking "is this DDO-XXX from Wexlers site?". Plus there's info on how to learn the characteristics of true hub doubling

www.varietyvista.com
    www.doubleddie.com

Bookmark and study them!

What a helpful post; I hope op uses the links therein. :)

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

Doubled dies and varieties are my specialties. I’ve been buying, selling, cherry-picking and attributing for 30 years now. I’ve already collaborated with the late J.T. Stanton, along with Howard Spindel, on a particular strong Shield Nickel DDR which I believed to be a new discovery (unlisted in the Cherrypicker’s Guide). Mr. Spindel eventually cross-referenced it with an example shown in Fletcher’s book on Shield Nickels, which I did not have a copy of. Sure, I was disappointed, but having the opportunity to speak with J.T. and Mr. Spindel more than made up for it. Here is my most recent find (a couple of months ago) : a very rare 1867 Shield Nickel with Rays RPD (repunched date) FS-301. In an NGC AU55 holder, unattributed. Value: $3K-$4K
    >
    >
    >

>
    >
    For further info on this variety, included is the link to Howard Spindel’s shieldnickels.net
    >
    http://www.shieldnickels.net/top20/67WRF08.html

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to tell us why you think that the coin is a DDO/DDR.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2022 10:25AM

There is a DDO and DDR listed for this date. The DDO is pretty obscure and in my opinion it shouldn’t garner a high premium, but the DDR is much more prominent and desirable.
    Courtesy of varietyvista.com:
    >
    >

>
    >

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a doubled die, and don't expect
    much help with your coins/photos in
    the future with that attitude.

The vast number of replies above offer
    help, suggestions, websites of interest, etc.

Don't know why you have that snowflake response.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    rokkyrokky Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭

Wow…that was quite dramatic. I guess someone finally got ticked off with some of the smart comments.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reported. Think we have one person spewing multiple alts here.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! - if he thinks reading a few answers is giving him grief wait until he gets out into the real world. :o

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buh bye!

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭

You guys are to generous with these posters who ask repeately the same questions is Dd or mint error questions.

Just answer them a couple of times and let them figure it on their own.

This guy? posted 60+ times so why would bother to attempt to learn when you gave him/her the answers needed?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of new posters use the forum as their own personal Q&A. They don't read other threads to learn, they just read the responses on their own threads. That's why the same questions get asked again and again.

They usually can't even bother to open the threads that are offering silver or even gold giveaways.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ending was more exciting than I expected.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options

@Aotearoa said:

He's still an active member, the "adios" aside, so the ending might not be here just yet. ;)

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭

:Interesting this chat software doesNOTcensor swear words

• Options
    FairfaxthunderFairfaxthunder Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

Wow and I thought my stupid hastily-written poll from the other day was bad...thank goodness for even newer folk!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@Aotearoa said:

He's still an active member, the "adios" aside, so the ending might not be here just yet. ;)

It looks like the post was removed but that member hasn’t been banned.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

The mods must have been feeling charitable today. :p

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed the response.... guess that is good from what I see referencing it. Surprised the poster wasn't banned. Cheers, RickO

• Options

He’ll probably be muted for a period of time, at the least.

• Options

Some people have no sense of humor oh yes I do I married you didn't I lol

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

• Options
    MenzaMenza Posts: 84

And you call yourself professionals

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Menza said:
    And you call yourself professionals

Actually, most of us are just collectors. So, we don't.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file