Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Breath of Fresh Air

RondorRondor Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

We all know that generally speaking, coins are mainly a guy thing. I don't like generalizing but it's at least 10 to 1. Encouraging young women to gain interest in numismatics is one of the keys to this business' health over the next decades in my opinion.

https://www.greysheet.com/news/story/barker-recipient-of-highest-ana-award-for-young-collectors

Comments

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2022 8:35PM

I read the article. Quite an impressive accomplishment! (Not that I read the article, but HER accomplishments, lol). My Uncle has been a Professor at VT for decades.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice article. Great to see YN's of any sex enjoy the hobby, which is a key factor for numismatic growth. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

The weird thing is, the gender ratio differs by geography. I don't know if there are any noticeable differences within the United States, but I do know that Britain, New Zealand and Western Australia seem to be doing much better than the rest of us (North America, Europe, Asia, Eastern Australia, Asia) in this regard. Maybe not 50:50, but it's at least 70:30.

There's no logical reason why coin collecting is essentially a "guy thing", but once the ratio gets up into the 10:1 or 20:1 bracket and stays there for a while, it tends to become self-reinforcing. If a woman goes to a coin club meeting with a couple dozen people present and she's the only woman there, is she likely to feel comfortable about coming back? If a woman going to a coin show is ignored by the coin dealers because they assume she's "just some coin collector's wife" and therefore won't be buying anything herself, is she going to feel encouraged?

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have known a few women coin collectors. Not recently, over the years in a few places I lived. Certainly not as many as there are male collectors. We have several here on the forum. The same used to be said about firearms. However, I can tell you, that now, there is at least a 50/50 split.... and when it comes to range time, it may be 53/47 female to male. So, it may well be that there are more female coin collectors than we realize. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RondorRondor Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2022 7:11AM

@ricko I try to avoid the range unless I rent my own bermed up slot. Route 66 Shooting Spots Park ( https://r66ssp.com/ ) has a great private set up for very good prices. I find there are way to many dangerous people at the public ranges these days. I am tired of being swept over and over again.

The other cool thing is I can bring my own steel, my M4, my 40 S&W and my AR and run a multi-gun course.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rondor ... I am an instructor, and a Range Officer at a modern indoor range. Yes, there are a lot of new shooters. However, we take great care in instruction and on range conduct. No infractions allowed. That being said, I do wear body armor on the job. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file