Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will the ANA bourse be a sellout in 2022?

goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 16, 2022 1:24PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The ANA convention opens one month from today. The show was not a sellout last year. This year there are 4 tiers of table prices.
Ultra premium-- Sold out.
Premium-- Sold out.
Select-- 10 tables available.
Economy--20 tables available including 5 that are in the Foreign and Ancient section.
Club tables --2 available.
A week ago, there were 50 tables available.
I have been to every ANA since 1970. I am getting excited! Can't wait.

Comments

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t wait for it to start. Great place to hold the event.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish I could attend. To all who go, safe travels, vya con Dios.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can’t wait

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    DscoinDscoin Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭

I am excited for it, last year the ANA was the best show I have attended and I am hoping this year is better yet!!!

Successful transactions with: Lakesammman, jimineez1, Flackthat, PerryHall, bidask, bccox, TwistedArrow1962, free_spirit, alexerca, scooter25, FHC, tnspro, mcarney1173, moursund, and SurfinxHI (6 times)

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a dealer list available yet? I feel myself getting pulled to the Dark Side so I want to check out the World and Ancient section.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a dealer list available yet?

It's on the ANA website and it's being updated every couple of days.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe 😉🙀🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

@savitale said:
    Is there a dealer list available yet? I feel myself getting pulled to the Dark Side so I want to check out the World and Ancient section.

Here’s the current floor plan with dealers listed

https://money.expocad.com/Events/2022chi/index.html

The official show guide has also been released
    http://digitaleditions.walsworthprintgroup.com/publication/?i=751583

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Show reports please!!! This looks like it will be a great event.... Check bullion prices, attendance, sales action, quality of hot dogs... etc., etc.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

This will be my 3rd year of non attendance.

I'll wait until Covid dies =down, I am high risk

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just hope there are some nice coins available during the show. Dealers all seem to trade the nice things back and forth pre-show then take them home to prep for website inventory.

• Options
    mtn_scoutmtn_scout Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I think (and hope) it will be better than last years show. I wasn't disappointed last year but a lot of dealers were telling me that I would have been over the moon happy with the international dealers as I collect more non-US than US. I've not gotten my airplane ticket yet but I did reserve my hotel already.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:

Smart man. Unfortunate you can't attend though!

• Options

@Coinosaurus said:

@Treashunt said:

Smart man. Unfortunate you can't attend though!

Thanks, I miss the show and seeing everyone

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2022 7:10AM

I wb surprised if its not sold out. Seems like that’s a show full of whale rich collectors coming in to buy.

Don’t really know what the table fee or ballpark on total expenses set up would be. Anybody have a number?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it will sell out. There aren't too many tables to go and the market is very hot right now.

• Options
    edited July 20, 2022 7:17AM

@Treashunt said:

The most sobering moment of the recent LB show is that I was talking to a dealer (on the forums) when a friend of his came up to the table and mentioned mutual coin acquaintance/friend caught Covid on June 4 and died on June 28, just before the show. This plus Covid going around after ANA. Be safe everyone.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

One day I'd like to hit one of these summer ANA shows but it won't be this one, work and other stuff going on.

As for Covid, it is out there. Just got back from a cruise on 07/09 and 8 out of our group of 12 got it afterwards, including me. We have all since recovered, the symptoms were all manageable. It was a risk we all accepted and we all still would have gone even if we knew the outcome. Perhaps these variants are a bit more manageable? I'm not sure, since Covid can affect people in different ways. It is something to think about for sure.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    I wb surprised if its not sold out. Seems like that’s a show full of whale rich collectors coming in to buy.

Don’t really know what the table fee or ballpark on total expenses set up would be. Anybody have a number?

https://f.hubspotusercontent30.net/hubfs/6180285/WFM%202022%20WEB%20PAGE/2022%20WFM%20CHICAGO%20BOURSE%20APPLICATION.pdf

• Options

@Zoins said:

@Treashunt said:

The most sobering moment of the recent LB show is that I was talking to a dealer (on the forums) when a friend of his came up to the table and mentioned mutual coin acquaintance/friend caught Covid on June 4 and died on June 28, just before the show. This plus Covid going around after ANA. Be safe everyone.

Sad news, be safe everyone.

Too many people not wearing masks anymore

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

"I just hope there are some nice coins available during the show. Dealers all seem to trade the nice things back and forth pre-show then take them home to prep for website inventory."

ANA now favoring dealers again to get all the fresh stuff before the collectors.
    Use to be the PNG show as the preshow and collectors could get in with a requested free pass from the PNG
    HQ, by phone. This has been going on for decades and has cost me opportunies and lots of money as I chased down certain coins only to find them gone to dealers at these pre events. I hate it, so unfair to the rest of the ANA members not a level playing field to us folks.
    So many really nice coins trade dealer to dealer and you never see them or know about them. One dealer told me it's a good old boy network, his words not mine. I have some dealer friends who tell me stories of these back room deals and trades. If you want a high Registry set you need a dealer friend who plays in this world and deep pockets
    Yourself. You will then become known as a "Big Fish". Ha!
    Some of my well known coin friends have gone back to plugging boards and albums with nice circ coins.
    Same fun but don't need to play with the rich and famous. And only need average pockets.
    Good luck
    Collecting since 1954
    And have had a number of number one Registry sets.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@krueger said:
    "I just hope there are some nice coins available during the show. Dealers all seem to trade the nice things back and forth pre-show then take them home to prep for website inventory."

ANA now favoring dealers again to get all the fresh stuff before the collectors.
    Use to be the PNG show as the preshow and collectors could get in with a requested free pass from the PNG
    HQ, by phone. This has been going on for decades and has cost me opportunies and lots of money as I chased down certain coins only to find them gone to dealers at these pre events. I hate it, so unfair to the rest of the ANA members not a level playing field to us folks.
    So many really nice coins trade dealer to dealer and you never see them or know about them. One dealer told me it's a good old boy network, his words not mine. I have some dealer friends who tell me stories of these back room deals and trades. If you want a high Registry set you need a dealer friend who plays in this world and deep pockets
    Yourself. You will then become known as a "Big Fish". Ha!
    Some of my well known coin friends have gone back to plugging boards and albums with nice circ coins.
    Same fun but don't need to play with the rich and famous. And only need average pockets.
    Good luck
    Collecting since 1954
    And have had a number of number one Registry sets.

Just an FYI. You do realize at almost every major show some dealers get together in Hotel rooms, and sometimes even have a mini bourse in a hotel conference room before dealer set up!

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dealer's best buyer, regardless of whether they are a collector or dealer, almost always gets first shot. It has nothing to do with attending dealer day or being in the "old boys" network.

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Yes I am very aware what the dealers do outside the Bourse and to their Big Fish best buyers.
    If you are not connected somehow through there you will probably not be able to achieve a high end Registry set.
    A set yes but not top , no awards. The chase wore me out and emptied my pockets.
    It's expensive to go to big shows and not see or be able to buy some fresh material. . Trying to buy but those coins are already pre sold. They tell me. I am glad I built my sets with alot of coins I bought in the 80's and 90's..
    Alot of dealers I know don't like an advanced collector on the floor competing with them for certain things so they shut you out, play games.. dirty looks, cut you out of agreed upon deals with other collectors and dealers!., Even cuss you out . I see it more and more. Lately. Sad. Coin shows use to be more fun.
    Not playing in that hungry wolfs world anymore, moving on. I like collecting coins but don't NEED a one to survive.
    Sorry for the rant had to get some things off my chest.
    David Hall use to say " enjoy your coins" the ones you are able to buy and own.

• Options

23 days until the show opens.
    There are 6 select tables available.
    20 economy tables available.
    1 club table available.
    I do not believe it will sell out.

• Options

@golden said:
    23 days until the show opens.
    There are 6 select tables available.
    20 economy tables available.
    1 club table available.
    I do not believe it will sell out.

It's not moving as fast as I thought it would.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2022 4:34PM

Should be a good show. Skipped out of the ANA and FUN shows for the pandemic. Not that is it at all over (and I have risks), I am setting up at this one. Masking and common sense has worked so far for me. (Current strains need that beyond the vaccinations, because of the reduced efficacy.)

If you are interested in Trade dollars, stop by the table even if not buying. #1749 (Select Rarities) corner at the back of the Select section on the right. A lot of other stuff too.

• Options

The ANA opens two weeks from today. There are only 11 tables left.
    Two tables in the select section.
    Nine tables in the economy section including two in the Ancient and Foreign section.
    There are also two club tables left.
    I am ready to go!

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alefzero said:

If you are interested in Trade dollars, stop by the table even if not buying. #1749 (Select Rarities) corner at the back of the Select section on the right. A lot of other stuff too.

I had no idea you are a dealer. As it happens, I am interested in trade dollars, although I won't be able to make it to Chicago.

Do you have a website or ebay store? Where are you normally based out of?

• Options

To get this thread back on track - With most of the remaining available tables in the "cheap seats", I'm sure the ANA is not worried about a sellout. After all, they've sold all the high-priced booths and will likely pick up some local dealers at the last minute for the back tables. Interesting that the Club table area just went from 1 to 2 available booths - wonder who bailed out.

• Options

Now only 8 tables left.
    One table in the Select section.
    Seven tables in the Economy section including two in the Foreign and Ancient section.
    Two Club tables .

• Options
    DscoinDscoin Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭

I am getting excited

Successful transactions with: Lakesammman, jimineez1, Flackthat, PerryHall, bidask, bccox, TwistedArrow1962, free_spirit, alexerca, scooter25, FHC, tnspro, mcarney1173, moursund, and SurfinxHI (6 times)

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got my badge in the mail - but they forgot to include the convention bar.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a fun time - wish I could be there - prior commitments!

Looking forward to the reports.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    radiomanradioman Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

will there be a PCGS luncheon?

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

No luncheon at the ANA. It looks like that will occur at the September Long Beach show

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:

@alefzero said:

I had no idea you are a dealer. As it happens, I am interested in trade dollars, although I won't be able to make it to Chicago.

Do you have a website or ebay store? Where are you normally based out of?

I have not maintained my site (Select Rarities) since I sold off all of the Morgans. Do need to work that out. I am in San Diego, but not a B&M. Will do Long Beach and FUN (and maybe do the October Denver show). Selling off the Trade dollars at the shows. At FUN, I am considering moving the Ikes and Silver Eagles. Considering the Carr material before going overseas. Going to be tough to let go of the early dollars and Lafayettes (at least the DuVall 4E). A lot of other stuff, mainly various series' die varieties and some Colonial currency.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

6 tables left on August 9th. 3 in economy, 1 in club, 1 in select and last one is near the exhibits.
    Got a week to go. From that stand point I would call it a success. To the attendees, treat yourself
    one night and go to Morton's Steak House. Pricey, but well worth it. The ribeyes are excellent as
    long as you order them Rare-Medium Rare. Yum Yum!!

• Options

The ANA Convention opens one week from today. There is only one bourse table (in the economy section) left to rent. There are also two club tables available.

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

ANA increased the price of club tables several years back. Several organizations now split tables with another organization to both split costs and for conserving people power needed to man the table over the many hours of the convention.

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

with a week away looks pretty much sold out... think there are like 3 tables available 1 in each area and those are a most likely result due to the dealers who took those tables not being able to attend... the buzz is that the show will be incredibly strong since Summer is usually slow and folks are ready to try to find nice material ... stop bye are table... lot of great stuff and we always have candy too Scarsdale Coin Table # 1121

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options

@ScarsdaleCoin said:
    with a week away looks pretty much sold out... think there are like 3 tables available 1 in each area and those are a most likely result due to the dealers who took those tables not being able to attend... the buzz is that the show will be incredibly strong since Summer is usually slow and folks are ready to try to find nice material ... stop bye are table... lot of great stuff and we always have candy too Scarsdale Coin Table # 1121

Only one table left. Candy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

ANA increased the price of club tables several years back.

I'm confused - our Club table at the ANA this year didn't cost anything. Sure, if you want display cases and power, that's extra but the booth space itself is free. I ought to know - I'm the one who filled out and submitted our Club table application.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file