Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could see either UNC Details for damage or a net at 60.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'd guess a 2 or 3 but i didn't scour the images for problems. doubt it is a slider.

doesn't appear to be a risky seller other than private listings.

i'd also look into recently sold items since feedback is private. perhaps those external ebay feedback sites have some info?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d grade it approximately MS62, but have some concerns about the reverse marks beneath the NITE in UNITED.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If not 'details' then I would say a 61 - pictures not very good, expect it may be worse than we see.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to tell from the pics. I'd guess 61 or 62. Is that a PCI slab?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

NNC

• Options

@logger7 said:
    NNC

In other words, treat it like it's a raw coin.

• Options

A couple more pictures:

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2022 5:59AM

Ms60 / MS61 at best. Needs dip. Pass

Is that pvc on it?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks more AU with those images

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    Ms60 / MS61 at best. Needs dip. Pass

Is that pvc on it?

Here are a couple scans.

• Options
    edited August 4, 2022 11:36AM

It actually looks a lot better than the one I got from DW numismatics years ago. I read his "how to collect type III double eagles" where he spoke about the 1878-1880 $20s being a lot rarer than thought which is certainly true with the 79-s and the 1880-P coins in unc..

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

61 tops. Looks like an NNC holder, so they probably put it at 65.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

I retract my previous details grade and call it a 61.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options

I sent the coin to ICG under the crossover option; they said that though it was uncirculated it was not a commercial Unc. due to too much field activity, etc. so refused to cross it at MS60.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    I sent the coin to ICG under the crossover option; they said that though it was uncirculated it was not a commercial Unc. due to too much field activity, etc. so refused to cross it at MS60.

HUH? How does one acknowledge that a coin is uncirculated and then state they're not willing to grade it at least MS60, the lowest possible mint state level?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:

@logger7 said:

HUH? How does one acknowledge that a coin is uncirculated and then state they're not willing to grade it at least MS60, the lowest possible mint state level?

Perhaps for the same reason that many uncirculated and Proof coins receive details grades (for scratches, stains, damage, etc.).

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 838 ✭✭✭✭

fUNCly

• Options
    edited August 16, 2022 9:05AM

The grader said they were all agreed; so in an NNC holder, or there may be concern because they may not want to take the chance if the edge is being hidden where there is an issue. NGC does not accept non-PCGS coins for crossover probably due to matters like that. It has to be cracked out.

My understanding of MS60 is that it is a coin with virtually no eye appeal that is close to being damaged or has some major defect that keeps it in that holder.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

61-62

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    MrBlusterMrBluster Posts: 320 ✭✭✭

• Options

I see luster disturbance in the fields, so I'll guess AU58.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file