Options

Let's see some chopmarked coins

Show them if you got them.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some don't consider this is a chopmarked but some do. I show it anyway.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a gorgeous coin!!!

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a couple of early cobs

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are my only two examples.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    edited July 17, 2022 4:32PM

I did not know China chopmarked their own coinage I thought they had laws against that? Especially defacing the face of their ruler was a big no no?

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2022 5:17PM

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    I did not know China chopmarked their own coinage I thought they had laws against that? Especially defacing the face of their ruler was a big no no?

I'm not sure, I don't know much about Chinese coinage. I just recently purchased both coins, because I thought they were cool and the history behind chop marks, generally speaking, is fascinating to me. I'm still looking for a chopmarked Trade Dollar, but I haven't found a nice example in the price range I'm willing to pay. In the meantime I guess I'll have to do some research on chop marks on Chinese coinage.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    edited July 17, 2022 6:13PM

@UpGrayedd said:

I'm not sure, I don't know much about Chinese coinage. I just recently purchased both coins, because I thought they were cool and the history behind chop marks, generally speaking, is fascinating to me. I'm still looking for a chopmarked Trade Dollar, but I haven't found a nice example in the price range I'm willing to pay. In the meantime I quess I'll have to do some research on chop marks on Chinese coinage.

I am not 100% sure but I believe and maybe someone here can confirm or not what I said. If so that would make your coin something special and rare. Again I could be wrong I just remember reading something of the like. I also remember that the penalty was very serious of doing so with their own coinage.

• Options

No, not really; every Chinese silver issue from the warlord crowns of the mid-19th century through the Junk Dollars can be found chopmarked, often in quantity. There were attempts to cut down on chopmarks by the British in HK, and there is a persistent rumor that the application of chops to the portrait of the bust of Victoria on the HK Dollar was not legal, but I haven't seen contemporary evidence for the latter.

Most of the Fat Man Dollars were produced after Yuan Shi-Kai had died, anyway.

• Options
    edited July 17, 2022 6:49PM

@ChopmarkedTrades said:

No, not really; every Chinese silver issue from the warlord crowns of the mid-19th century through the Junk Dollars can be found chopmarked, often in quantity. There were attempts to cut down on chopmarks by the British in HK, and there is a persistent rumor that the application of chops to the portrait of the bust of Victoria on the HK Dollar was not legal, but I haven't seen contemporary evidence for the latter.

Most of the Fat Man Dollars were produced after Yuan Shi-Kai had died, anyway.

Thanks I appreciate it I was not certain. That clears that matter up.

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are a few of mine.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

Can any of you chopsperts give me an opinion on this?

When I first saw the coin, naturally I looked for the chop. Lower reverse, not obtrusive at all. Great price! Then I had another look at the obverse. That punch nearly went all the way through the coin, didn't it. On eBay now BTW.

• Options

@BustDMs said:

Here are a few of mine.

Very nice looking Bust Half, very scarce type to find chopmarked.

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few more…….

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.